Help with triple monitor setup

Agomir

Hi there,

So I currently have a dual monitor setup, a iiyama ProLite E2773HS and a ProLite XB2783HSU (neither is particularly recent, but they’ve served me well), basically two 27" 1080p 60Hz monitors, one in centre and one to the left. They’re used for both work and gaming and I’ve been needing a tiny bit more screen space, but I’ve been putting it off for ages because I can never seem to find what I want. I’ve looked at ultrawide (especially 32:9) screens and they just don’t seem worth it, and I’d still have to work out how to add more screen space. I don’t have a specific budget, but I don’t want to spend any more than necessary (though I guess up to 1000€ is possible if it’s for something mind blowing). Right now I’m running a PC with a 1660 Ti, which I built before getting into VR (it does surprisingly well at the roughly 4K on headsets), and haven’t been able to upgrade (would either go for a 3080 or the next generation). I’m not into any extremely fast paced games, mainly MMORPG, so I’m just looking for something good rather than the best of the best.

So I guess I’m going to go for a third screen, which will finally give me VRR. The new one in the middle, an older one on the left and the other on the right but in portrait. However, is it worth upgrading to 1440p? As far as I can see there are three options. Stick with 27" 1080p and enjoy 144 Hz and VRR, 27" 1440p but then there will be a big definition (and text size) difference between screens (has anyone had experience with that?), or go up a size to 32" 1440p which will reduce the difference (I think an exact match for 27" 1080p would be 36" 1440p). However most 32" screens seem to be a fair bit more expensive and curved, which I don’t like. I’m leaning towards the first option simply because I don’t want to spend extra and discover that it looks horrible with the other two screens.

The Gigabyte M27F (27" 1080p IPS 144Hz) is on sale for 230€ until the end of the month: https://www.materiel.net/produit/202011100059.html

I can’t work out why other screens with similar specs are so much more expensive, it seems to have good reviews. Is it worth it or is there a much better model? And will the FreeSync work with my 1660 Ti? Google seems to say yes, but it would be nice to have confirmation. A cheaper screen would mean more money to spend on building a custom desk and changing my chair.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading. 🙂