Pop! OS froze during setup

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
Just now, skullnoober said:

Phew, that was relieving, I can just power off my laptop, right?

Yep, hold the power button for 4 seconds.

While setting up Pop OS on my laptop, it froze, it was mid setup, at 11% to be exact, its been frozen for almost an hour now, can't move my mouse, the whole system is frozen. I don't know what to do, I have it dual booted with Windows 10 if that info can help, and I'm unsure if I should just wait a bit more, or turn off my laptop then back on again, and if I do turn off my laptop, i fear that my harddrive might corrupt.

If you cannot move the mouse your system is hard crashed, you have no other option than reset.

FYI the chances of the drive getting corrupted by this are almost zero, write back caching ensures nothing like that can happen. The absolute worst case is your Linux partition is corrupted and even that's very unlikely.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

If you cannot move the mouse your system is hard crashed, you have no other option than reset.

FYI the chances of the drive getting corrupted by this are almost zero, write back caching ensures nothing like that can happen. The absolute worst case is your Linux partition is corrupted and even that's very unlikely.

Just now, skullnoober said:

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, skullnoober said:

yup

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Right thanks!

44 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Uh, I started the installation again, and it crashed again at the same %, extracting files 11%, what could be the reason? I think the .iso is corrupted.

12 minutes ago, skullnoober said:

Uh, I started the installation again, and it crashed again at the same %, extracting files 11%, what could be the reason? I think the .iso is corrupted.

Yep, could be a corrupt ISO, a bad flash or a bad USB drive.

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep, could be a corrupt ISO, a bad flash or a bad USB drive.

Thanks, i'll try reinstalling it first, I don't think it was a corrupt iso, I used balenaEtcher this time and it checked if it flashed it correctly, and it did but my laptop crashed again, so its either the iso or my flash drive

10 hours ago, skullnoober said:

Thanks, i'll try reinstalling it first, I don't think it was a corrupt iso, I used balenaEtcher this time and it checked if it flashed it correctly, and it did but my laptop crashed again, so its either the iso or my flash drive

Try a different distro  some desktop and laptop are every picky on which distros work , Last some computer and laptop cant handle  dual booted with Windows 10.

12 hours ago, LBrocato said:

Try a different distro  some desktop and laptop are every picky on which distros work , Last some computer and laptop cant handle  dual booted with Windows 10.

I would suggest Linux mint. It is based off of Ubuntu and is lighter weight. Works well for me and I dual boot with windows 10.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 6:53 PM, m9x3mos said:

I would suggest Linux mint. It is based off of Ubuntu and is lighter weight. Works well for me and I dual boot with windows 10.

Alright I'll try it sometime, thanks