Lenovo L3i screen flickering

hi, so i have a lenovo ideapad l3 laptop and i have screen flickering every time i leave the laptop to on "sleep" mode overnight.

it doesnt flicker in bios/task manager, but when i go fullscreen like playing games/watch youtube, it flickers.

i already tried a clean reinstall of windows and even tried multiple versions of graphic drivers

so, i sent my laptop for warranty claim, and they replaced the lcd screen and its cable. however, when i gave another test to let it sleep overnight, it still flickers, also only in fullscreen.

i contacted the technician and he told me to connect to an external display to see if it flickers. i connected to my tv via hdmi and it doesn't flicker on the tv but the laptop flickers.

this is the wierd part. if the tv doesn't flicker, then its the laptop screen's problem! but they just replaced a new one. so the technician said it could be the motherboard's problem, and they ordered one and its now on its way.

so my question is:

what could be the cause of the flickering?

after replacing the lcd screen, screen cable and the motherboard, is there any possibility that the flickering would happen again?

which part other than the lcd screen, its cable and the motherboard could be the reason for the flickering?

Well, Flickering issue is a bit tricky to handle.

15 hours ago, cyang0309 said:

what could be the cause of the flickering?

Flickering can be caused by a few things:

-GPU chips (on motherboard)

-GPU VRAM (on motherboard)

-eDP port (on motherboard)

-eDP cable (also known as display cable)

-LCD screen

-Software driver and software

-Poor design (which is very unlikely, but possible)

Since they replace your screen and the display cable, you can remove it from the list.

after replacing the lcd screen, screen cable and the motherboard, is there any possibility that the flickering would happen again?

It would if your GPU, VRAM or other components on the motherboard are not working properly.

which part other than the lcd screen, its cable and the motherboard could be the reason for the flickering?

Very likely is the motherboard. It can be drivers or software itself.

Conclusion: Screen flickering usually happens when the screen is faulty. But in the case you describe, it would be difficult to pinpoint exactly the detail, because it only happens when you put the computer to sleep and wake it up. This could mean that it is likely a software problem (or a software glitch), or it could be hardware problem as well, so further troubleshooting might need to carry out.

Try restarting your laptop. Does the flickering issue persist?

So far I know it could be one of a few things:

-Cache problem (probably due to bug or glitch)

-Kernel problem (driver or Windows problem)

-Other problem related to hardware

A small note: Try use the graphic driver provided by Lenovo. Usually it will be the most stable driver for your device.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

8 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, Flickering issue is a bit tricky to handle.

Flickering can be caused by a few things:

-GPU chips (on motherboard)

-GPU VRAM (on motherboard)

-eDP port (on motherboard)

-eDP cable (also known as display cable)

-LCD screen

-Software driver and software

-Poor design (which is very unlikely, but possible)

Since they replace your screen and the display cable, you can remove it from the list.

It would if your GPU, VRAM or other components on the motherboard are not working properly.

Very likely is the motherboard. It can be drivers or software itself.

Conclusion: Screen flickering usually happens when the screen is faulty. But in the case you describe, it would be difficult to pinpoint exactly the detail, because it only happens when you put the computer to sleep and wake it up. This could mean that it is likely a software problem (or a software glitch), or it could be hardware problem as well, so further troubleshooting might need to carry out.

Try restarting your laptop. Does the flickering issue persist?

So far I know it could be one of a few things:

-Cache problem (probably due to bug or glitch)

-Kernel problem (driver or Windows problem)

-Other problem related to hardware

A small note: Try use the graphic driver provided by Lenovo. Usually it will be the most stable driver for your device.

firstly, thank you so much for replying in such detail. its the very first useful reply for me. 

lets get back into the topic again.

I'd like to mention that the display graphic on my laptop is intel uhd graphics, incase that you didn't know.

my laptop has such a ridiculous way to recreate the problem. if i SHUTDOWN the laptop overnight, the flickering disappears and it is very, very unlikely to flicker again (about 80%unlikely, but only occured once)

if i put the laptop to SLEEP overnight, the flickering 100%  happens -if i restart the laptop immediately after i recreate the flickering, the problem would still remain. unless i shutdown for a certain amount of time (overnight i guess), then it doesn't flicker again.

also, I always use the intel graphic driver version from lenovo, which is also the same version as the driver version that windows update provides.

I've done an experiment too, if i disable the intel graphics through device manager, the flickering disappears too.

in my opinion this is such a unique case... 

my last question is, 

if i receive a perfect motherboard, the flickering would most likely be solved, right? since most of the stuff is soldered on the board, like gpu, ram etc

10 hours ago, cyang0309 said:

if i receive a perfect motherboard, the flickering would most likely be solved, right? since most of the stuff is soldered on the board, like gpu, ram etc

Well, it is very likely the problem will be solved.

Anyway, it looks like you have done quite a lot of experiment, and good for you, so at least you understand your system well. As for this case, yes, it is very rare and unique, in fact, it is my first time hearing this behavioural issues (I troubleshoot PC and laptops for over 10 years). Anyway, like I said, many thing can contribute to screen flickering issue, most of the time is the screen itself, but it can be GPU (including integrated one such as Intel HD) and motherboard itself. Our laptops are very complex indeed and finding the root cause is like searching a needle in a hay stack.

So, yeah, let's hope that your new motherboard solve the issue.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.