Keeping my laptop alive for online school

Go to solution Solved by Giganthrax,

I have an old laptop with similar specs, and Linux Mint Mate works pretty well on it.

ZorinOS Lite is also great. 

On 7/27/2021 at 9:42 AM, Bombastinator said:

Fedora is still red hat though right? So some very different command structures.  Might not matter in this case. 

with dnf frontloader/uploader that pre install on fedora 34 has all packages and desktop in it graphical program updater/installer  once you in able 3rd party packages and the rpm fusion repositories. it become user friendly. 

•  To enable the Free repository, use:
$ sudo dnf install \
  https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
  • Optionally, enable the Nonfree repository:
$ sudo dnf install \
  https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm  
  • You cans also add gnome-software to make things easier.    

Sudo dnf install gnome-software

I not going to lie distro doesn't matter much most of them are now user friendly. But it means alot when the creator of the linux kernel Linus Torvalds not use debian or arch and it derivatives. it mostly going to come done to witch desktop environment or windows manger you going to go with on top of your base system

31 minutes ago, LBrocato said:

I not going to lie distro doesn't matter much most of them are now user friendly. But it means alot when the creator of the linux kernel Linus Torvalds not use debian or arch and it derivatives. it mostly going to come done to witch desktop environment or windows manger you going to go with on top of your base system

Debian is a questionable choice for a lot of people. It a “we have everything, roll your own” kind of thing.  There are many derivatives OF Debian which are more-or-less roll your owns other people did and fixed up. The only time to use it is when you need some obscure package or specifically don’t want to have a common one. Debian can take weeks to set up exactly the way you want it.  The advantage is you CAN.   It’s not very user friendly though and takes someone with a more than common amount of knowledge to to it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:23 PM, Gamer4714 said:

If you need a nice user interface, you can install one of these

Zorin OS

Elementary OS

Garuda Linux

Ubuntu(if you're planning on using different skins/themes)

Although if you're going for garuda linux turn off some ui graphics settings.

If you plan to stick to Windows, use the windows 10 ameliorated. It would run almost as fast the linux distros. The ameliorated version is just windows, with no bloatware, no telemetry and other stuff.

Thanks, these past few days I tried:

- zorin educational: it is pretty, but even as a student I don't need all its pre-installed software.

- elementary OS: it is pretty, so pretty my cpu can't really keep up with it lol

- linux mint (all of them): I prefer mate and xfce, I expected xfce to be ugly but I was wrong.

- Pop! OS: I used this OS for few weeks in the past, just for giggle, but now I think I will use Pop! for a long time. It's comfortable, and I didn't expect my logitech mouse's on-board memory preset to be working in linux, but it works somehow on Pop!.

I wish someone told me about WindowsFX, I think I might have smoother migration with it.

6 minutes ago, vawa.id said:

- zorin educational: it is pretty, but even as a student I don't need all its pre-installed software.

- elementary OS: it is pretty, so pretty my cpu can't really keep up with it lol

- linux mint (all of them): I prefer mate and xfce, I expected xfce to be ugly but I was wrong.

- Pop! OS: I used this OS for few weeks in the past, just for giggle, but now I think I will use Pop! for a long time. It's comfortable, and I didn't expect my logitech mouse's on-board memory preset to be working in linux, but it works somehow on Pop!.

I wish someone told me about WindowsFX, I think I might have smoother migration with it.

XFCE isn't ugly, It's default configuration is. By default XFCE looks like this(it isn't good at all)

image.png.b910658c0e19eb502e708764cd9344c3.png

But by some customisation it can look like this:-

image.png.d3925ddf597b0cf96db1af455e5f03b0.png

Their all Ubuntu based with every few changes.nothing special and Ubuntu  come from debain . preety must all recently  hardware should work that be made in last 6 month or later should work. In the next up coming  years mate  going to have to solve some problems if they wanna still be a usable desktop

Idk I would just recommend buying a Vostro from Dell to run Windows. Your laptop is gonna kill you soon enough. 4gb in this age is just plain not enough. And the CPU… 😭 My recommendation is: Get a new Dell Vostro with at least 256gb and 8gb RAM. Anything less wouldn’t run much (but don’t ask how my dad is still running a 2011 MacBook Air lol).