Looking to upgrade my 1080p Monitor to a 1440p.

Lriya

I'm wanting to upgrade my Asus 144hz 1080p monitor to a more better visual looking monitor that is faster as well. 

I mostly play in a dark-lit room. (mostly at night). Sometimes during day but not too bright. I play a verity of games. MMO's, Shooters, etc. 

I want a monitor that is true 1440p, 240hz, G-Sync,( I have a Nvidia Card. ("Nvidia 1070"). Anything that blends well in dark-lit rooms. But I think any is fine. I'm sure anything more crisp/beautiful is better than what I have atm. 

Monitors that I've so far been looking at are these two: 

Samsung Odyssey G7. -- I am afraid of purchasing this, because of the 1000R Curve. I have no idea if I will like it or not. z-z

Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-X

Another question I do have, is that when I do upgrade my monitor to a 1440p 240hz. Will my 1070 keep up? I'm not planning on playing top-tier games that are demanding on the GPU. Especially going from 1080p to 1440p. But just in general gaming (Atm, I been playing Dead by Daylight, and I plan on playing the upcoming game "Lost Ark".). So they are too demanding.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone gives me. ❤️

1070 will not be running you anywhere near 240 fps on 1440 with those games.

I would stick to your current display until you can get both a gpu and monitor at the same time

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

1070 will not be running you anywhere near 240 fps on 1440 with those games.

I would stick to your current display until you can get both a gpu and monitor at the same time

I can understand that my current GPU wont be able to play majority of games near 240hz. However, even having the monitor wont benefit me in anyway? 

I could stick with it for now. But I got no idea how long GPU's are gonna be so expensive for. :/. Guess i'll wait and see how the 4000 series will be.

4 minutes ago, Lriya said:

I can understand that my current GPU wont be able to play majority of games near 240hz. However, even having the monitor wont benefit me in anyway? 

I could stick with it for now. But I got no idea how long GPU's are gonna be so expensive for. :/. Guess i'll wait and see how the 4000 series will be.

Not really no. You won't be able to play games at a decent performance at 1440, so youd probably end up downscaling to 1080p, making things blurry.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I think he is right yes that a 1070 will not be able to run any of those games anywhere near 240hz but yes if you did want to upgrade resolution to 1440p I would say go budget and even get a 75hz monitor because if you are going to have a 1070 and be playing in 1440p it will be very rare that you max out a 75hz monitor

@Slottr

@pcnerd_8684

Thanks for the replies. I've heard the suggestions and I plan on saving money for a new GPU. I was hoping to get the 30 series when it released but due to the scalpers and out-of-stock issues. I never had a chance to grab one unfortunately. z

However, atm mind still helping me along with anyone else who comes across this thread. Help me pick a monitor I can also save up for and get once I get my hands on a new GPU? 

Again, the monitors in question so far are: 

• Samsung G7, -- (Again, the curve I might not like, but the monitor itself seems good while its good to view in dark lit rooms.)
  • Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-X -- (Not really anything specific, just looks like a good monitor)
  • MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD -- (I've just seen this and has alot of good reviews. It being a 165hz, so still a notable upgrade)

Thanks for the help. Also, as pcnerd pointed out. I rather not go down to 75hz for any reason. My main goal is to upgrade my current hardware to something I can future-proof or at least anything better. As I am again coming from a 144hz, 1080p monitor. 

If I was you id find a store with incredibly good return policy like amazon, grab the g7 and if you cant stand it, return.

I have learned over the last ten years, Just go with the best one the first time. otherwise you will end up wanting, and spending even more cash again..

I don't mind the curve of my ultrawide at all, but it's much less of a curve than the samsung.

just know that a curved monitor will actually make it seem smaller than its noncurved counterpart. Id go with a 32" G7 over the 27", personally.

And a 1070gtx isn't going to be getting much more than 60fps @ 1440p on the latest games, just know you will have less fps on all games you play now with a 2k monitor, and you will want to consider upgrading your gpu shortly after.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

11 hours ago, Daethz said:

If I was you id find a store with incredibly good return policy like amazon, grab the g7 and if you cant stand it, return.

I have learned over the last ten years, Just go with the best one the first time. otherwise you will end up wanting, and spending even more cash again..

I don't mind the curve of my ultrawide at all, but it's much less of a curve than the samsung.

just know that a curved monitor will actually make it seem smaller than its noncurved counterpart. Id go with a 32" G7 over the 27", personally.

And a 1070gtx isn't going to be getting much more than 60fps @ 1440p on the latest games, just know you will have less fps on all games you play now with a 2k monitor, and you will want to consider upgrading your gpu shortly after.

That's exactly what i'm doing. I purchased it from my local Best Buy. I am a Elite so I have 30(days) to return. So Ima mess around with it for a week or a couple days and see how I like / dislike it. 

Also, I understand my GPU is pretty outdated for the Resolution / Hz. At the moment I don't play latest games. I been playing just Dead by Daylight / Will be playing the upcoming mmo Lost Ark. Which, I don't know much about its performance.

I do hope I like the curve though.. If I do not, i'm going to research more on the Gigabyte and MSI monitors. However, I also been looking at the LG 27GP850? Its a 27'in 1440p @ 160hz or something. Unboxed Hardware rates it as a good monitor in his latest "Best 1440p" monitors to buy of 2021. & I also have a LG Oled, so i have no problems with LG. 

Either case, lets see how i like the curve. Should arrive tomorrow. xp

I have an RTX 2060 and from my understanding the difference between a 1070 and 2060 is not huge ?

I run a 1440P 170hz display and for the most part there is not a single game I can't run on high settings with a high refresh experience at a minimum of 80 FPS or above, even games with RTX features run great at this resolution if you cut back on settings that make virtually very little to no difference such as shadows from ultra to high etc and the title of the game is not Cyberbroken 2077..