Connect PC to TV in a different room

Jamdude
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
9 minutes ago, dkoudijs said:

I have used multi (2) cat5e cables to route HDMI over distance. Using rj-hdmi adapters

Or you can look at something like this https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/store/product/detail/KVX-Series-KVM-Extender-over-CATx-Dual-Head-DVI-I-USB-2-0-Serial-Audio-Local-Video/KVXLC-200

You didn't specify a price point, but if you can run cables, that would be best over Steam Link or something else as no one really has problems with cables.

1920x1200 at 60 Hz is not anywhere near 4k 120Hz bandwidth he wants.

Maybe try looking for optical HDMI cables?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081SHJJ3C?th=1

I'll be buying an LG CX TV for downstairs soon and would like to be able to play some games on it as well but my PC is upstairs (on the same side of the house but not the room above).

What's the best way to go about this? Ideally I'd have a wired connection since I'd like to run ethernet to that point anyway but I do have a Steam Link - I haven't used it for years and don't remember the latency being very good.

It's probably 10 to 15m travel within the walls from my office to living room and I can't seem to find an HDMI 2.1 to cover that distance. If going with the wired option I'd have brush plates at either end to run ethernet, HDMI and USB.

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks in advance

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I have used multi (2) cat5e cables to route HDMI over distance. Using rj-hdmi adapters

Or you can look at something like this https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/store/product/detail/KVX-Series-KVM-Extender-over-CATx-Dual-Head-DVI-I-USB-2-0-Serial-Audio-Local-Video/KVXLC-200

You didn't specify a price point, but if you can run cables, that would be best over Steam Link or something else as no one really has problems with cables.

9 minutes ago, dkoudijs said:

1920x1200 at 60 Hz is not anywhere near 4k 120Hz bandwidth he wants.

Maybe try looking for optical HDMI cables?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081SHJJ3C?th=1

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I can't seem to find an HDMI 2.1 to cover that distance.

Because you need to look into active optical cables, but they are very expensive. $400-$500 for a cable. At least for the HDMI 2.1 stuff.

You could do steam link or Nvidia Shield  streaming but I don't think they do 4K at all. I would probably recommend you just buy an older HDMI cable, it would still need to be active but I think they are much "cheaper" $100ish. never mind more like $200-300 for some 2.0 HDMI.

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Because you need to look into active optical cables, but they are very expensive. $400-$500 for a cable. At least for the HDMI 2.1 stuff.

You could do steam link or Nvidia Shield  streaming but I don't think they do 4K at all. I would probably recommend you just buy an older HDMI cable, it would still need to be active but I think they are much "cheaper" $100ish.

Less than $200 for a 15m optical one, in the link above.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Less than $200 for a 15m optical one, in the link above.

Brilliant, thank you!

Do they have diminishing returns after a certain length? I've found a 20m cable which doesn't cost much more than the 15m version and looks like it'll do the trick

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

1 hour ago, Jamdude said:

Brilliant, thank you!

Do they have diminishing returns after a certain length? I've found a 20m cable which doesn't cost much more than the 15m version and looks like it'll do the trick

They're optical, there is no bandwidth decrease with more length.

That's why they're so expensive.

Spoiler