Linus Buying "The Wall" - A $360,000 USD Television

JLCitadel
On 7/23/2021 at 11:50 PM, JLCitadel said:

I'm honestly not surprised, but I'm disappointed he's considering it seriously. The things I'd rather see Linus do:

Donate it to charity.

Pay for his children's college.

Buy Luke, who is by and large a huge reason for the success of early LTT and a reason Linus is where he is today, a nice home or give him a fat chunk of change. I feel like he's always gotten the short end of the stick for all his work because he's so nice despite the endless sleepless nights he put in for most of the early years.

Use it to pay for builds for LTT fans.

Start a new series, where you build a computer with a fan for under $1,000 and they get to keep it. You recoup partial cost like you would with the TV videos, maybe turn a profit, and start a dope trend of giving back to the people who have brought you your success.

I know these alternatives are all colored from my own personal opinions, but damn man. I'm disappointed. I'm not saying Linus doesn't deserve to spend his money how he wishes, he's absolutely busted his ass for year beyond measure, but I just think it's wasteful and he could do so much better while also getting a baller ass TV for like $15K instead.

Becasue fuck Linus for actually working his ass off and earning it? 

Who the fuck you think you are for telling him what to do? 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

After watching the WAN show, what really bothered me was the ways Linus tried to buy it and then get a tax write off for it. 

I thought people hated when rich people exploited the tax system to pay less tax, yet nobody seems to bat an eye when Linus does it. 

If Linus wants it for his house then he should pay for it, and he should be taxed for it. As in, it should not be written off as a business expense. It's for his house after all. 

Op lacks life experience or is self absorbed, projecting inferiority and jealousy.

By the way, I would have thought a head of a multi million dollar media company can afford some college funds, I mean that seems trivial at this point. Possibly home schooled and colleged too, sucks don't it that not everyone's family has the passion or will to do what others won't, and some not having the environment to strive in. Good for his children, his children though will still have major life lessons as Linus has had, no one misses out in this life, money is not the be all end all either.

That's life, you have to take the cards you were given and use them, don't expect help.

Linus should look at Christie digital projectors for the gamer experience.

40,000 ANSI Lumens

5,000:1 On/Off* Contrast ratio

24-120Hz standard | Optional 240-480Hz @ 2K scaled

plus they are already water cooled

https://www.christiedigital.com/products/projectors/all-projectors/4K40-RGB-series/mirage-4k40-rgb/overview

I have used their products in the past and the input lag even using a pixel processor and the remote fiber transmitters is really low.

re the "dark room"/"dungeon" issue, why not have draw able curtains that one normally has lighter walls, but one can draw blackout style curtains when one wants to watch a movie in a dark room?

On 7/30/2021 at 6:16 AM, LAwLz said:

After watching the WAN show, what really bothered me was the ways Linus tried to buy it and then get a tax write off for it. 

I thought people hated when rich people exploited the tax system to pay less tax, yet nobody seems to bat an eye when Linus does it. 

If Linus wants it for his house then he should pay for it, and he should be taxed for it. As in, it should not be written off as a business expense. It's for his house after all. 

Finesse the game. Don't let the game finesse you. 

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

I I'm glad he isnt gonna be wasting the money after watching the WAN show.

My concern is that it's such a waste because of how TV tech advances each year. It definitely won't be worth it to spend that much money on something that'll only be good for a year or two.

Dunno why people think he should donate to charity or something like that, there's already plenty

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

At that price. He should just buy his own movie theatre and use it for himself and his friends and family. Way way bigger screen, free seats, and can prob sell it for $ or not lose anything on it after a few years of use. Hell he can charge people to see it too 

‘’also this guy has to be trolling with this bullshit so I’m not even gotta bother saying how dam stupid his post was.

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

On 7/30/2021 at 6:16 AM, LAwLz said:

Given the way the rules are written, the expense would be used to earn income, so it's technically fine. That being said, the wording also utilizes "reasonable" and that would certainly be up for debate. 

As for "it's for his house," I can't put much stock in that. There are plenty of people (and obviously self-employed ones) that get work devices, tools, vehicles that they can use at home; they're still business expenses. Whether they use them at home, and/or go to a job site or office is fairly immaterial. 

8 hours ago, divito said:

Given the way the rules are written, the expense would be used to earn income, so it's technically fine. That being said, the wording also utilizes "reasonable" and that would certainly be up for debate. 

Yes but that's the same reasoning companies like Amazon and Apple use to get away with paying next to no tax. The whole "don't hate the player, hate the game" only works if you are a very unethical person who want to game the system for personal benefits. I can't really blame people for taking advantage of the system, but it's still a shitty thing to do. 

8 hours ago, divito said:

As for "it's for his house," I can't put much stock in that. There are plenty of people (and obviously self-employed ones) that get work devices, tools, vehicles that they can use at home; they're still business expenses. Whether they use them at home, and/or go to a job site or office is fairly immaterial. 

Yes but you can't really compare a self-employed worker buying a necessary PC that will be used 90% of the time for work, vs Linus buying a 300,000 dollar TV that will only be used for work related stuff 10% of the time. 

I'm not saying Linus is or isn't doing something illegal, but what I dislike is people criticizing  companies like Amazon for avoiding taxes, then cheers Linus on for doing the same thing. 

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I'm not saying Linus is or isn't doing something illegal, but what I dislike is people criticizing  companies like Amazon for avoiding taxes, then cheers Linus on for doing the same thing. 

He does feature his house and the tech in it quite often tho. So it is for his work which are his Youtube videos.

How that would work taxes wise i dont know. Not a Canadian or tax expert 😞 

My personal thoughts - this would have been pretty boring content. Maybe impressive to see in person, maybe novel for a one off video but overall, a huge waste of time and money. It's the gaming we all already know and love, on a bigger screen.

It's akin to listening to a high end audiophile setup demo video on your phone, it really doesn't translate well.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

2 minutes ago, Dujith said:

He does feature his house and the tech in it quite often tho. So it is for his work which are his Youtube videos.

How that would work taxes wise i dont know. Not a Canadian or tax expert 😞 

See:

17 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes but you can't really compare a self-employed worker buying a necessary PC that will be used 90% of the time for work, vs Linus buying a 300,000 dollar TV that will only be used for work related stuff 10% of the time.

It's extremely silly to argue that "well he might film at his house sometimes so therefore it should be tax deductible". 

Also, it still doesn't get around the fact that he is trying to game the system even if what he does might be legal. 

Linus avoiding taxes is essentially him saying he doesn't want to contribute to things like schools and hospitals. That if there is a way he can avoid giving money to schools and hospitals then he will exploit that. 

58 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's extremely silly to argue that "well he might film at his house sometimes so therefore it should be tax deductible". 

Also, it still doesn't get around the fact that he is trying to game the system even if what he does might be legal. 

Maybe silly, but i was just wondering about the legal tax part of this. Not saying that it should be so, or even that it is ok.

You all saw that he's definitely not buying this in it's current form btw right? Multiple reasons cited on the last WAN Show.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT