Linus Buying "The Wall" - A $360,000 USD Television

JLCitadel

I'm honestly not surprised, but I'm disappointed he's considering it seriously. The things I'd rather see Linus do:

Donate it to charity.

Pay for his children's college.

Buy Luke, who is by and large a huge reason for the success of early LTT and a reason Linus is where he is today, a nice home or give him a fat chunk of change. I feel like he's always gotten the short end of the stick for all his work because he's so nice despite the endless sleepless nights he put in for most of the early years.

Use it to pay for builds for LTT fans.

Start a new series, where you build a computer with a fan for under $1,000 and they get to keep it. You recoup partial cost like you would with the TV videos, maybe turn a profit, and start a dope trend of giving back to the people who have brought you your success.

I know these alternatives are all colored from my own personal opinions, but damn man. I'm disappointed. I'm not saying Linus doesn't deserve to spend his money how he wishes, he's absolutely busted his ass for year beyond measure, but I just think it's wasteful and he could do so much better while also getting a baller ass TV for like $15K instead.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Why are you trying to tell that man what to do with his money?
  2. How do you know he hasn't already paid for his children's college? 
  3. How do you know he hasn't already looked out for Luke?
  4. He gives builds away and sponsored ones
  5. Why are you in that man's pockets? 

I got questions, pimp!

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Why doesn't <rich person> spend their money the way I want them to?

Donate it to charity.

always comes up when anyone talks about someone with large amounts of liquid assets. i may be remembering wrong, but i'm pretty sure they spoke about it on the WAN show. no matter who they donate to, they will be badgered with "why didn't you donate to x" or "you should also donate to y or you're a terrible person for reason z"

And i don't blame them, the amount of "You donated to x? Well what about <obscure controversy> that <charity> had 15 years ago, how can you support them?" i see all over twitter, would also make me not want to make any large donation public

1 hour ago, JLCitadel said:

Do you honestly think that he wouldn't already have the money already put aside to put his kids through college?

Buy Luke, who is by and large a huge reason for the success of early LTT and a reason Linus is where he is today, a nice home or give him a fat chunk of change. I feel like he's always gotten the short end of the stick for all his work because he's so nice despite the endless sleepless nights he put in for most of the early years

Pretty sure Luke is fine, yes he's nice. Nice to a degree that i don't think he would accept something like this at all. what about <other member of team>? you do not want to breed favoritism/resentment/jealousy within your workplace when you are giving an employee something as big as a HOUSE.

LOL. no. There's enough problems with the RRR and he's already done a video about it:

it will breed massive entitlement and beggers, it will turn what ever community they have no into nothing but people who expect to get a new PC just because they are a fan. They don't have infinite hardware.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

He should absolutley buy it. "He should donate to charitiy" is such a stupid argument. Same as with all your other arguments. "Why did you buy the more expensive picture on the wall the money would have been much better spent on children in need mimimimi"

Its gonna be amazing content. I would love to see it.

Sometimes you just gotta do it. 

The more you click on his videos the faster he can buy one.

AMD R7 5800X3D @ -28 | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x  8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact |1x T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

13 hours ago, JLCitadel said:

I know these alternatives are all colored from my own personal opinions, but damn man. I'm disappointed. I'm not saying Linus doesn't deserve to spend his money how he wishes, he's absolutely busted his ass for year beyond measure, but I just think it's wasteful and he could do so much better while also getting a baller ass TV for like $15K instead.

Urm ... yeah. You Are.

/thread

15 hours ago, JLCitadel said:

What I like best about this suggestion, is that it assumes that, surely, the Ho/Sebastian children do not have college funds, despite this being, I'm pretty sure, entirely unknown.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

What kind of entitled BS is this person spouting.

-Donate it to charity.

Stop telling others how to spend their money.

College in Canada is dirt cheap compared to the US, so are books.

Can't say for sure for BC. But in QC, 3 years of college would set someone living entirely off student loans&bursary about 20k in debt, unless they went to medical school. That's it. And that's not from tuition at all, just the loan from the gov for your subsistence if you live alone. A single semester, has a tuition fee of about $185 in QC. That's it. Books are also all between $5 and $100. To give you an idea, after three semester, I am only $4k in debt. With at least 4 more semesters to go.

Considering his kids are likely going to still be living with them at that point (as they really should be, it's entirely stupid to leave the nest at 18 these days, you're only setting yourself back for years to come), they won't even need student loans and Linus will likely only need to save up less than $5k per kid. Which he probably should have already, considering he put in 40k of his own money in joke stocks.

Buy Luke, who is by and large a huge reason for the success of early LTT and a reason Linus is where he is today, a nice home or give him a fat chunk of change. I feel like he's always gotten the short end of the stick for all his work because he's so nice despite the endless sleepless nights he put in for most of the early years.

Luke is way up there as far as salary goes, as was said in a video at one point or another. He is NOT getting the short end of the stick at all. He's just a cheapskate (their words) and would rather get things for free than pay for them. As anyone smart with their money, would.

Ah there it is, the entitlement baring its teeth. The whole reason behind this thread.

Start a new series, where you build a computer with a fan for under $1,000 and they get to keep it. You recoup partial cost like you would with the TV videos, maybe turn a profit, and start a dope trend of giving back to the people who have brought you your success.

ROG rig reboot, but give back to "fans" (aka OP) edition. Same as above.

I know these alternatives are all colored from my own personal opinions, but damn man. I'm disappointed. I'm not saying Linus doesn't deserve to spend his money how he wishes, he's absolutely busted his ass for year beyond measure, but I just think it's wasteful and he could do so much better while also getting a baller ass TV for like $15K instead.

I'm disappointed that you think your opinion on how someone should spend their money, even matter.

Just because YOU think it's wasteful, doesn't mean others think the same. Be better, stop acting like a Karen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Holy fuck. I just about choked on my water. No wonder why he wouldn't mention the cost on stream XD And he really would have to milk the videos. 

But seriously. Linus can do whatever the hell he wants with his money. Though, I Yevon would have the final say in the matter. 

I am also sure that luke is taken care of in many ways. You have no idea what Linus has done for him over the years, what he is paid, let alone anything else there is. They are good friends and have known each other for a long time. And one thing about linus after watching him all these years. He isn't afraid of spending money on his people. He takes care of them. Luke wouldn't be willing to stay by Linus' side all these years if linus was a dbag. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

$360K.....

Maybe a drive in theater 🎥 with multiple screens for the ultimate lanparty 🥳 would be fun.... like you know.... something that hasn't been done yet??? People buy expensive TVs  📺 all the time. 

It'd be nice if all money was donated to charity, but that's not really the way the world works. He can use it for content, thus it's putting food on his table and the table of his employees. Even if he didn't, people that are well of are allowed to buy nice things for themselves. He's stated that he does donate to charity, and doesn't feel the need to discuss such things with people who's business it really isn't.

Not sure why you seem to think his child's college wouldn't already be covered. He likely has education funds already set up.

It's his own money, for his own house. He doesn't fund LTT with personal earnings, that's done with company earnings. They are different.

He also already has series that give people free stuff. People aren't entitled to always getting stuff for free, and it's not just the cost of the hardware when it comes to videos like that.

You are absolutely trying to say how he should spend his money. Don't try and make it seem like your statements are something they're not.

What's wasteful to you isn't wasteful to someone else. I'm sure you do plenty of things other people would find extremely wasteful.

17 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

$360K.....

Maybe a drive in theater 🎥 with multiple screens for the ultimate lanparty 🥳 would be fun.... like you know.... something that hasn't been done yet??? People buy expensive TVs  📺 all the time. 

I don't think people are putting $360k TVs in their house all the time...

There's also serious restrictions against having things like a drive in theatre in a residential area, which I bet is even more strictly enforced in the neighbourhood he moved into.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't think people are putting $360k TVs in their house all the time...

There's also serious restrictions against having things like a drive in theatre in a residential area, which I bet is even more strictly enforced in the neighbourhood he moved into.

If there's a market for it, people buy it. Pretty sure Linus isn't the only one we'll off.....

I'm not saying build a drive in theater, and I'm not saying to buy a used one and move it into a neighborhood either. 

It's obvious I wasn't 100% serious about buying a drive in to put in the back yard.... but would be something different. My point was people TVs all the time. The size doesn't make it cool or special. Just something for people to gripe how Linus spends money. 

Any publicity is good publicity. Let's buy an expensive TV and see how much attention we get today. Quick hit the like button. 

360,000 usd would be a WASTE of my money on a TV, but the thing is, although it really does pain me to say this, its not MY money so........

(UNLESS CAPITALISM)

however i would also like him to do something else with that kind of money , something more...... ...

,reasonable?

Linus is filthy rich. He might not be part of the 1% but probably part of the 2% or 3%. He has already said that he can retire and not work a single day more in his life. 

He can most likely buy the TV and do all the things you listed if he felt like it. 

im not too certain on the details but theres a difference between personal money and company money even if he owns the company. if he is using company money buying the tv to do a video on might benefit LTT while all of the things you've listen except for maybe the luke thing doesnt.

Just going to dislike some of the videos that are just going to be a downer, of course there will be some good ones too or fun ones.

Were clickbaiting, dramatization, poor "review", to milking it as much as possible (when its fine to when it's 2x more than needed) as stated they wanted to put multiple videos on multiple channels which can be a lot.

LMG (Linus Media Group) is, as the name suggest, a media company that exist to create content, the LTT youtube channel is their content for tech and is for entertainment. Them throwing a few hundred thousands at this is a lot of money, yes, but it's pretty normal for them to spend money towards stuff they can make a video out of, because you know ; it's what the company exists for.

They're not a charity, that's not what the company is there for. Them spending that amount of money on such a project shouldn't warrant them getting hate for it. If you're unhappy about waste of money, then I suggest looking into your local gov agencies, there's probably 10x that amount of waste just locally near you and changing just a bit of that will have greater result for the community around you, a lot more than if LMG decided to donate part of their yearly profit to a charity. People with money will spend it on ridiculous and overpriced stuff all the time. If Linus decides not to buy it, the money won't go to charity, it'll just go to other projects and it'll probably be spent anyway at one point.

With that said, we won't stop people criticizing LMG, LTT, and Linus. But in my personal opinion, this complaint is pointless and uninformed (like the implication that Linus isn't looking out for his kids ... that just sounds extremely disingenuous and willfully ignorant). He's personally setup for life, and as such his kids are too.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

If you're unhappy about waste of money, then I suggest looking into your local gov agencies, there's probably 10x that amount of waste just locally near you and changing just a bit of that will have greater result for the community around you, a lot more than if LMG decided to donate part of their yearly profit to a charity.

Easy there buddy. Don't you think you're getting a little political there, no?

• No political content, regardless of your views.
    • If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remain clearly within tech and must not descend into politics
    • This covers all parts of the site, including status updates

😉

7 minutes ago, Amias said:

Easy there buddy. Don't you think you're getting a little political there, no?

😉

Pointing out there's waste in the public sector isn't political, it's facts.

I didn't name anyone or pointed to a political party, simply said I'm pretty sure there's more waste in local gov, and that's affecting people a lot more than a YTber wasting money on a TV.

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Pointing out there's waste in the public sector isn't political, it's facts.

I didn't name anyone or pointed to a political party, simply said I'm pretty sure there's more waste in local gov, and that's affecting people a lot more than a YTber wasting money on a TV.

Fun fact:

The average person doesn't grasp the scale of First World economies.  It's a little ridiculous how nuts it actually is.

If a random person makes 100,000$ US a year, and spends a single quarter.  0.25$...

That single quarter has more of an impact on their annual budget (100K) than the US Government does when it spend 1 Million Dollars on something.

Yes, really.  This is absolutely a fact.

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Yes, really.  This is absolutely a fact.

While true, my point is that a YTber spending $360k on a TV doesn't have any impact on the OP except for the entertainment value it'll provide, and that if they want someone else's money to be better spent, maybe, just maybe, looking locally would have more impact (again, it's only because the OP brought up charities and kids education). 😉

How about

On 7/24/2021 at 2:22 PM, Amias said:

Urm ... yeah. You Are.

/thread

This.

At least Linus isn't launching himself to space off the backs of slave labor,