Pc restart when full screen game

SLOTHINSPACE

Hello my dad pc has started recently automatically restarting when he launches games, I tried figuring it out, he used 2 monitors when I disconnect the 2nd one and launch the game the issue does not seem to happen. Any suggestions would be great. Maybe something to do with a gpu driver. But honestly I’m not the best with computers 

These are the important specs 

Monitor

Samsung G9 49 inch 

1440p 165hz secondary 

I9 10900x 

RTX 3090 

ROG THOR 850w psu 

32gb ddr4 3200hz ram

Is it an OS crash? A hard reset? Describe exactly how does the system restart?

My first though is maybe that 850W PSU is on the edge of being able to power those specs, if it is hard resetting.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

10 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

Is it an OS crash? A hard reset? Describe exactly how does the system restart?

My first though is maybe that 850W PSU is on the edge of being able to power those specs, if it is hard resetting.

yes so its only just started he has pushed his pc with the monitor he has at 240hz 1440p no problems, when he starts a game then full screens, the pc just re boots, no error or nothing just as if you restart the pc but without the restart screen. If that make sense

5 minutes ago, SLOTHINSPACE said:

yes so its only just started he has pushed his pc with the monitor he has at 240hz 1440p no problems, when he starts a game then full screens, the pc just re boots, no error or nothing just as if you restart the pc but without the restart screen. If that make sense

So i imagine a hard reset if its not displaying the windows restart window

Yea, if it just cuts power and restarts, that's a hard reset.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

1 minute ago, LloydLynx said:

Yea, if it just cuts power and restarts, that's a hard reset.

Any ideas of what could be the issue and a fix, as i said this has only just started to happen his pc has been fine, since he built it, and now starting to cause some issues ?

I'm really thinking it might be the power supply. 850W should be just about enough for that system under full load, but sometimes components will have spikes of high power draw which go above their TDP. That might be happening here. Contrary to popular belief, power supplys from reputable product lines won't burst into flames the moment they're stressed to hard. They almost always cut power to protect themselves and the components being powered. Connecting a second monitor might be pushing the graphics card hard enough for it to spike above how much power the PSU expects to provide, which will trip the safety and hard reset the system. Though the issue could be a thousand other things, this is what I think is most likely. Maybe try setting power and clock limits in MSI Afterburner. It's a great program form managing that kind of stuff. I don't know much about the Nvidia control panel, but it might also have similar options.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

4 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

I'm really thinking it might be the power supply. 850W should be just about enough for that system under full load, but sometimes components will have spikes of high power draw which go above their TDP. That might be happening here. Contrary to popular belief, power supplys from reputable product lines won't burst into flames the moment they're stressed to hard. They almost always cut power to protect themselves and the components being powered. Connecting a second monitor might be pushing the graphics card hard enough for it to spike above how much power the PSU expects to provide, which will trip the safety and hard reset the system. Though the issue could be a thousand other things, this is what I think is most likely. Maybe try setting power and clock limits in MSI Afterburner. It's a great program form managing that kind of stuff. I don't know much about the Nvidia control panel, but it might also have similar options.

Right okay what about a driver maybe use DDU and installl a old driver to see if that has anything to do with the issue ? 

Just now, SLOTHINSPACE said:

Right okay what about a driver maybe use DDU and installl a old driver to see if that has anything to do with the issue ? 

It wouldn't hurt to try.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

3 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

It wouldn't hurt to try.

Just seems very strange to me he has pushed that  computer any game no problem and all of a sudden this happens I can’t think of a reason why 

1 minute ago, SLOTHINSPACE said:

Just seems very strange to me he has pushed that  computer any game no problem and all of a sudden this happens I can’t think of a reason why 

Possibly a Windows or driver update, or component degradation.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

I agree with @LloydLynx Sounds like a PSU issue and those 3090s are very spiky under load (from what i gather from reviews)  How old is the PSU?  I've seen a lot of people say 1000w is about right for a 3090 and coupled with the 10900X that's a LOT of draw under load for an 850

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/25/2021 at 11:42 PM, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

I agree with @LloydLynx Sounds like a PSU issue and those 3090s are very spiky under load (from what i gather from reviews)  How old is the PSU?  I've seen a lot of people say 1000w is about right for a 3090 and coupled with the 10900X that's a LOT of draw under load for an 850

I Meant 3080 lol and the 850w is about a year old its a good psu 

Just now, SLOTHINSPACE said:

I Meant 3080 lol and the 850w is about a year old its a good psu 

With one monitor unpluged the issue is gone it's never happened before very weird any suggestions 

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 10:33 PM, SLOTHINSPACE said:

any ideas

This problem is still happening when i change his g9 monitor to 240hz from 60 the pc resets and same issue if he launches a game we have no idea what to do