Why I will never buy a SkyTech PC

Hello everyone, 

Recently, I decided to rent a computer. The thought at the time was to wait and accumulate the funds to build my own PC this year or next, but as I recently quit truck driving I needed a gaming PC fast. Though renting a computer is not something I recommend to anyone, I'd thought I would give it a shot. I got a SkyTech PC with AMD Ryzen 3600, 16 gigs of Ram and a GTX 1660 Super. All this for $46.99 a week. Expensive I know, but I had no other option at the time. While the PC operated with no issues at all, there are a few things that made me mad at SkyTech. 

1st, The CPU fan had silicone between it and the mounting bracket. It was incredibly hard to remove the fan, to the point I was afraid of breaking the bracket of the motherboard. I don't know what they were thinking when they did this. After messing around for about 5 mins I finally removed the fan which leads me to my 2nd point.

It is fair to say that if you are reading this, you either have built your own computer or have watched Linus build one on his channel. The proper amount of Thermal Paste is a pea size drop on the center of the chip. This poor AMD chip was covered, and the thermal paste was beginning to harden. Let me reiterate, you should never treat thermal compound as icing for a cake. 

SkyTech, if you are reading this, you should be ashamed. For those of you who are looking at buying a SkyTech PC, I would avoid, and if you do buy one, make sure the thermal compound is on correctly. 

Thankfully I no longer have this PC, as I just recently built one. I did go in and apply a new coat of thermal paste for the next person who rents this computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! That silicone adhesive you noticed is something our team uses in builds to secure the heatsink to the motherboard so that it doesn’t come loose during shipping, which could potentially pull the CPU out of its socket. 

This silicone adhesive has no impact on performance, and many SIs use it. We apologize if this adhesive was an inconvenience to you. 

As for the amount of thermal paste, a large amount of thermal paste between the CPU and cooler should not negatively affect performance. It is true that any thermal paste pushed out from under the cooler due to pressure may end up drying around the edges of the CPU cooler contact point. This should also not negatively affect performance.

We’re very sorry you weren’t satisfied with the PC you rented from RAC. We definitely would have been happy to do our best to address this for you. We wish you the best of luck in all your future gaming and PC endeavors!