CPU usage at 41% idle ever since I downloaded a sketchy file

Nicc896

I was downloading something and when I executed it, it did nothing but make my CPU usage high at idle, so I deleted what I downloaded but I don't know what it did to my pc. I tried running tronscript ( I used this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHtZ9-9ch2w) and that worked up until 4 hours later when CPU usage was high again, so I did it again and it worked but, again, only for a couple of hours until it came back. I tried stuff like going into msconfig and doing a fresh install of my drivers and nothing worked. Anyone have any ideas on how to get to the root cause of this?

2 minutes ago, Nicc896 said:

I was downloading something and when I executed it, it did nothing but make my CPU usage high at idle, so I deleted what I downloaded but I don't know what it did to my pc. I tried running tronscript ( I used this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHtZ9-9ch2w) and that worked up until 4 hours later when CPU usage was high again, so I did it again and it worked but, again, only for a couple of hours until it came back. I tried stuff like going into msconfig and doing a fresh install of my drivers and nothing worked. Anyone have any ideas on how to get to the root cause of this?

It would be helpful if we knew which "skechy file" you downloaded and executed.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Usually you can find what is using cpu cycles in task manager. I had a similar problem after updating my Radeon GPU drivers and it turned out to be the Radeon user experience app thing. It was repeatedly whacking The WMI service and taking nearly 10% of my cpu cycles and raising idle temps.Shutting it off solved the problem.

11 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah, was it just a video or an .exe?

Open Task Manager and see what's using your CPU.

I'm pretty sure it was .exe, oh also heres a ss from my task manager

Screenshot (80).png

11 hours ago, Halibutox said:

Usually you can find what is using cpu cycles in task manager. I had a similar problem after updating my Radeon GPU drivers and it turned out to be the Radeon user experience app thing. It was repeatedly whacking The WMI service and taking nearly 10% of my cpu cycles and raising idle temps.Shutting it off solved the problem.

I opened the file location for it in task manager and it took me to system32 and highlighted a file called "ntoskrnl.exe" i don't know if thats what you were talking about but yeah. 

Screenshot (85).png

I would try to start shutting all unnecessary apps in task manager until you find the culprit. That might be any rgb programs, extra browsers or overclocking apps that run in the background. Right click and select end task until the problem disappears. Make sure to turn off any start with windows apps.

I would delete that omen app for starters and  see if the Java stops and your cpu cycles drop.

Edited by Halibutox
Clarity.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:56 AM, Halibutox said:

I would try to start shutting all necessary apps in task manager until you find the culprit. That might be any rgb programs, extra browsers or overclocking apps that run in the background. Right click and select end task until the problem disappears. Make sure to turn off any start with windows apps.

I would delete that omen app for starters and  see if the Java stops and your cpu cycles drop.

alright it seems like the problem is resolved after I did this, I haven't gotten the problem since two days ago. tysm

Super! Would you be so kind as to note the app so as to identify it? It would be helpful if other folks have the same problem and will make it searchable in the forums.

On 7/26/2021 at 1:49 AM, Halibutox said:

Super! Would you be so kind as to note the app so as to identify it? It would be helpful if other folks have the same problem and will make it searchable in the forums.

I just turned off startup functionality off of something thats just called "program" and my system has been fine ever since, this pretty much halted any slowdown issues I had