ROG Strix G15: Confusion on max RAM capacity

I recently bought a ROG Strix G15 with model number G513QM-ES74. I was hoping to install 64 GB RAM for analyzing large datasets and machine learning. However, it says on the product web page that the maximum RAM capacity of my laptop is 32 GB (https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-series/spec). I am quite confused as many laptops with the same set up are supporting up to 64 GB of ram. Even laptops that are $400 dollars cheaper such as the MSI GF65 are supporting up to 64 GB of RAM. When I asked ASUS support what the maximum RAM was for this model, they said 16 GB x 2 at 3200MHz. 

I am confused on why significantly cheaper gaming laptops are supporting 64GB of ram. The max RAM limitations are a deal-breaker and I might return this laptop. 

There are two ram slots so should I try installing two 32GB sticks and see if it works? Or should I follow the manufacturer recommendations?

Also, are there any hardware or software limitations that might cause the max ram capacity to be lower? Perhaps this a marketing strategy to upsell the higher-end ROG SCAR laptops (which support 64 GB of RAM)?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800H

GPU: RTX 3060m 6GB

RAM: 2 x 8 GB DRR4 Dual Channel

20210722_213706.jpg

20210722_213659.jpg

1 hour ago, dxl980 said:

I recently bought a ROG Strix G15 with model number G513QM-ES74. I was hoping to install 64 GB RAM for analyzing large datasets and machine learning. However, it says on the product web page that the maximum RAM capacity of my laptop is 32 GB (https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-series/spec). I am quite confused as many laptops with the same set up are supporting up to 64 GB of ram. Even laptops that are $400 dollars cheaper such as the MSI GF65 are supporting up to 64 GB of RAM. When I asked ASUS support what the maximum RAM was for this model, they said 16 GB x 2 at 3200MHz. 

I am confused on why significantly cheaper gaming laptops are supporting 64GB of ram. The max RAM limitations are a deal-breaker and I might return this laptop. 

There are two ram slots so should I try installing two 32GB sticks and see if it works? Or should I follow the manufacturer recommendations?

Also, are there any hardware or software limitations that might cause the max ram capacity to be lower? Perhaps this a marketing strategy to upsell the higher-end ROG SCAR laptops (which support 64 GB of RAM)?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800H

GPU: RTX 3060m 6GB

RAM: 2 x 8 GB DRR4 Dual Channel

20210722_213706.jpg

20210722_213659.jpg

The deal I think is when ddr4 came out there were only 8gb sticks. Stuffing 64gb into 4 slots requires 16gb sticks which are newer.  I suppose it is possible that a motherboard could only access 32gb of memory for some reason.  Engineers occasionally need to be slapped too, but I haven’t heard of it actually happening. My suspicion is it will access as much memory as you can stuff into it, which atm is 64gb as long as there are 4 slots.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The deal I think is when ddr4 came out there were only 8gb sticks. Stuffing 64gb into 4 slots requires 16gb sticks which are newer.  I suppose it is possible that a motherboard could only access 32gb of memory for some reason.  Engineers occasionally need to be slapped too, but I haven’t heard of it actually happening. My suspicion is it will access as much memory as you can stuff into it, which atm is 64gb.

Thanks for the reply. My laptop has only 2 RAM slots. I plan to install 32 GB x 2 

you can fit x2 32GB in most Ryzen 5000 H gaming laptops

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, genexis_x said:

you can fit x2 32GB in most Ryzen 5000 H gaming laptops

There are 32gb ddr4 sticks available?   I thought 32gb sticks were going to be ddr5 only.  Searching for 32gb ddr4 all I’m seeing is 2x16 kits.  Searching for 128gb I am finding  some.  They appear to be real pricey but it seems there are several models for desktop.  Searching 64gb laptop I am finding some 32gb dimms. Seem to run 300-400$ which isn’t too bad for that amount of memory. Means 64gb sticks will probably be available for ddr5

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

In many cases OEMs max memory support specification is set at the highest they plan on offering from factory, not what it actually supports. If the CPU is capable of running 32GB dimms, there is a good chance it will work, but the only real way to find out is to test it. There is no point in contacting support, they will only read the same spec sheets you have looked at yourself 

• 5 months later...

@dxl980 Did you have any luck with 2 x 32Gb? Have quite a similar G513QM and wondering if the upgrade is possible.

With 2 SO-DIMM DDR4 slots, the Ryzen 7 5800H should support 64GB of DDR4-3200 memory.

Acer Predator Helios 300 – Model #PH315-53-764Q CPU-Z

• Keyboard — Corsair K57 RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard – Model #RGP0085
  • Memory (RAM) — 64GB Kingston FURY Impact – Part #KF432S20IBK2/64
  • Mouse — Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse – Model #RGP0052
  • Operating System — Windows 11 Professional (64-bit)
  • Stand — TopMate C11 Gaming Cooler
  • Storage (HDD, SSD)
    • 1× 4TB Samsung 870 EVO – Model #MZ-77E4T0B/AM
    • 2× 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus – Model #MZ-V7S2T0/AM

Anda Seat Kaiser Series Premium Gaming Chair – Kaiser II – Model #AD12XL-02-AB-PV/C-A02

HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e

Samsung 7.1.2 Soundbar – Model #HW-Q900A/ZC

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite – Model #SM-T227U

Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro – Model #SM-R925F

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 – Model #SM-F721W

TP-Link Archer AX11000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router

• 3× TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 8-Port PoE+ – Model #TL-SG1016PE
    Noctua 40x20mm Premium Fan – Model #NF-A4x20 FLX
      • TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender – Model #RE705X
    • IoT
      • TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender – Model #RE305