5.1 ceiling surround setup for PC gaming

xargsgrep

I have a study room wired for 5.1 surround with the 4 surround speakers in the ceiling and the center channel at normal sitting height. Does anyone else have experience with a similar setup for PC gaming? I'm curious if wall mounted speakers at normal height would be better than the ceiling speakers, or would it not really make much of a difference?

Also, if I use the ceiling speakers would it be better to leave the center channel as is or have that installed up in the ceiling also?

Disclaimer: I am not an audio professional.

We have a media room at work setup like that...(though more of a 7.2 setup).  Subwoofers and two side speakers remain on the ground, center up front (under the TV), 4 speakers ceiling mounted.

Not sure how well the center being high up would work unless there's some audio processing/modification that you can setup via receiver or something.  Center to me means pointed at your face and where most of the voice will come from in a surround setup (I think), so...I dunno.  Maybe if it's a very directional center speaker and it's pointed where you're sitting?

Usually only 9.1 setups have ceiling mounted or upwards-firing speakers.

You typically want the surround sound coming from actually around you, not just above you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

Usually only 9.1 setups have ceiling mounted or upwards-firing speakers.

You typically want the surround sound coming from actually around you, not just above you.

Not really true. 

Ceiling speakers get an additional number in this scheme. 

For example if you add 4 ceiling speakers to a 5.1 system it becomes 5.1.4. So it's Surrounds.Subs.Heights

You can mix and match everything you want really. 

However I do agree that surround sound should ideally come from around you, else it gives you the supermarker vibe lol. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

14 hours ago, xargsgrep said:

I'm curious if wall mounted speakers at normal height would be better than the ceiling speakers, or would it not really make much of a difference?

Try to keep your surround channels at ear level. Or close to it.

Subwoofer goes wherever sounds best. You can figure this out with the "subwoofer crawl" method. https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

The only thing that gets place above you (Not directly above!) Is your height channels. You can place channels directly above you, on the ceiling in an Auro 3D setup.

Auro-3D / Auro Technologies : Three-dimensional sound

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)