Steam and playstation down

G_K

Summary

Sony’s Playstation Network and Valve’s PC game storefront Steam have both gone down simultaneously.

Quotes

Users are unable to play or purchase games online

My thoughts

Its been a while that steam has gone down, just another day loading up a game and wanting to access the mod workshop to download maps for the game and steam is down in the most sections, trying the online steam store not the app and DNS error, i ask my poeple in a discord group and there having the same issues,  media starting to report steam,

Sources

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/playstation-down-steam-not-working-b1888824.html

can't access steam.PNG

news on the topic.PNG

Looks like a backend issue? Lots of sites are lighting up on Downdetector. LastPass, FedEx, etc.

Steam is working for me right now.

I saw a friend post they couldn't get on PSN so that might still be ongoing.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Looking at this unofficial status page, looks like it's another one of those DNS issues. Found out the issue when I tried to log into Epic Games Store ironically, the log-in for EGS won't let me log in no matter what I did. Endless loading bar instead of the "log in" button

https://steamstat.us/

Indeicent/Status page for the issue:

https://edgedns.status.akamai.com/incidents/n5zl6dythvfv

kinda confusing seems only website and store is down. fl and games are up for me…

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

kinda confusing seems only website and store is down. fl and games are up for me…

Yeah. Same here

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

While Steam and PSN being down were more noticeable for this audience, looks like that was a relatively minor problem since other sites like Ally (the online bank), Fidelity, airlines Delta, Southwest, and British Airways were having problems as well. Looks like Akamai, one of the largest CDNs, was having issues. When multiple sites that are completely unrelated are having issues, it’s often a major CDN having problems.

Source: 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/22/22588837/internet-outage-psn-steam-banks-trading-gaming-more-911-systems

3 minutes ago, The_russian said:

When multiple sites that are completely unrelated are having issues, it’s often a major CDN having problems.

a.k.a. take down cloudfront, akamai and fastly and you probably disrupt 80% of services.

I still remember the OG shitstorm from AWS. 5h outage and Amazon couldn't even fix the issue cause the main datacenter died and the remote control stuff relied on it.
https://www.theregister.com/2017/03/01/aws_s3_outage/

Summary

Many popular websites fell offline on thursday in a widespread global outage of service Visitors attempting to reach some sites received DNS errors, meaning their requests could not reach the websites. Affected services included Airbnb, UPS, HSBC bank, British Airways and the PlayStation network used for online games.

Quotes

Major websites hit by global outage

My thoughts

They really need to think about a backup servers to use, same services on 2 different servers sites, one goes down, the other kicks in, stops a worldwide outage

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57929544

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DDSt8USPZg

image.png.7dbd87c710561846ddbf9ecc4abb6407.png

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I'm assuming this was the same outage that hit the Steam store?

Yes,  the steam store was included in this outage -

Disruptions often mean that a web browser cannot find the content it is looking for.

Other affected services reported by DownDetector included:

• Banks such as Barclays, Lloyds, TSB, and Halifax
  • Gaming services including Steam, Call of Duty, and EA
  • Streaming services on Channel 4 and ITV

9 minutes ago, Uknown0002 said:

They really need to think about a backup servers to use, same services on 2 different servers sites, one goes down, the other kicks in, stops a worldwide outage

But then, they will need twice the infrastructure for it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

But then, they will need twice the infrastructure for it.

true, but it would solve the problem (ish, sort of, maybe, lol)

3 minutes ago, Uknown0002 said:

true, but it would solve the problem (ish, sort of, maybe, lol)

It might, until both are hit are the same time because they both have the same vulnerabilities. Even more so if they are hosted in the same space for convenience. 

It would be better if all these big players just worked together to create a giant global mesh network, where if one goes down, the others pick up the slack. Near impossible to bring down anything at that point since you'd have to bring down the entire internet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Didn't you already post this earlier? 

I don't see how this is major news. Sure, some sites were affected for a bit, but this isn't something that's never happened before. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

Didn't you already post this earlier? 

I don't see how this is major news. Sure, some sites were affected for a bit, but this isn't something that's never happened before. 

No, i posted about 'steam only', then a couple hours later it turns out its not just steam, its most websites and business

Little taste of what happens when we (inevitably) get hit by a massive sun EMP/ CME

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

==merged threads

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

It might, until both are hit are the same time because they both have the same vulnerabilities. Even more so if they are hosted in the same space for convenience. 

It would be better if all these big players just worked together to create a giant global mesh network, where if one goes down, the others pick up the slack. Near impossible to bring down anything at that point since you'd have to bring down the entire internet.

You do realize you just described the internet as it currently exists, right. 

Odd thing is that it never went down for me. Wonder if it's because I'm not using my ISP's DNS.