How to install Linux instead of Windows 11

Hi all,

When booting from the USB. Can you run high end 3D Steam Games or do you have to have to install it on the Desktop/laptop?

Thanks

Jesse

3 hours ago, alifarshad275 said:

im pretty sure MS teams is available on debian (ubuntu and such). 

Yeah but it has a lot of bugs right now so hopefully they get fixed soon. Thanks anyways!

10 hours ago, JesseSK said:

Hi all,

When booting from the USB. Can you run high end 3D Steam Games or do you have to have to install it on the Desktop/laptop?

Thanks

Jesse

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: it can be useless since everything installed on USB drive will not be there after shutdown. You can, however, enable "persistent storage" for USB drive which is available when you use Rufus, IIRC. It will not persist your installed software, only data in "/home". Steam will unpack itself there after install so no worries. It will be possible to reuse your Steam Library if it's located on dedicated drive.

The momen I realized, how straightforward and powerfull the terminal can be, is one of my fondest tech-related memories.

"I'm commanding my computer to do things and it does them!".

...And when it doesn't, it returns an error message, googling which returns a stackoverflow thread with a solution for your problem 95% of the time.

On 7/25/2021 at 8:38 AM, Granular said:

The momen I realized, how straightforward and powerfull the terminal can be, is one of my fondest tech-related memories.

"I'm commanding my computer to do things and it does them!".

...And when it doesn't, it returns an error message, googling which returns a stackoverflow thread with a solution for your problem 95% of the time.

Completely agree. It's really not some kind of "Linux elitism", it's ACTUALLY much faster and simpler to do stuff in the terminal.

A simple example: let's install libreoffice.

Linux: sudo apt install -y libreoffice

Then you minimize your terminal window and do other stuff while waiting.

Windows:

1) Open your browser

2) Google "libreoffice install windows"

3) (Hopefully) end up on the official libreoffice page with a download link

4) Download the executable

5) Run this executable

6) Press next...next...next several times until you finally install your bloody program.

(And that's assuming you accidentally didn't click to some wrong link and didn't download some malware instead of libreoffice).

Now, the question: HOW is Linux way more difficult than Windows one?! People have been seriously brainwashed by Microsoft to believe that the Windows way is somehow easier.

1 hour ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

Completely agree. It's really not some kind of "Linux elitism", it's ACTUALLY much faster and simpler to do stuff in the terminal.

A simple example: let's install libreoffice.

Linux: sudo apt install -y libreoffice

Then you minimize your terminal window and do other stuff while waiting.

Windows:

1) Open your browser

2) Google "libreoffice install windows"

3) (Hopefully) end up on the official libreoffice page with a download link

4) Download the executable

5) Run this executable

6) Press next...next...next several times until you finally install your bloody program.

(And that's assuming you accidentally didn't click to some wrong link and didn't download some malware instead of libreoffice).

Now, the question: HOW is Linux way more difficult than Windows one?! People have been seriously brainwashed by Microsoft to believe that the Windows way is somehow easier.

> choco install libreoffice-fresh

Bruh

Hey guys!

So, I opted for a Mac device to hyperfocus on my studies for the upcoming college year. But now I'm unable to join my friends in playing dumb multiplayer games on Steam and my only option is my old family computer with the highlight specs attached below. (Yes, they are absolutely horrendous in 2021) 

Intel Pentium Duo E2200

AMD Radeon HD 5450

2GB of DDR2 667

Crucial BX500 240 SSD (the only thing in this computer that is not a decade old)

I just recently installed windows 10 on it, but the performance isn't exactly the snappiest. I've looked into buying a core 2 quad for the lga775 socket in the mobo, but never pushed through. Would going through the trouble of doing a clean install of PopOS on the SSD be worth it? Currently Cry of Fear is the game I'm looking to play with my buds.

This is me trying to scratch through with the bare minimum of hardware upgrades necessary, will take tips on what I should do regarding hardware tho. Thanks guys!

TL;DR
Crap computer, would PopOS save it/improve gaming performance than if it was on Windows 10?

9 hours ago, gudvinr said:

> choco install libreoffice-fresh

Bruh

Come on. That's Linux fans who just brought the convenience of the package manager to Windows 🙂 That's not how most people keep installing software on Windows.

Even Microsoft realized the need for a proper package manager and released Winget recently.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:00 PM, GabenJr said:

Windows 11 is about to make a lot of people feel left behind, but there’s one operating system that’s recently been getting better and better for new and old hardware…

Check out Pop!_OS: https://pop.system76.com/
Grab BalenaEtcher: https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Grab Rufus: https://rufus.ie/en/
Get nvidia-patch: https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch
Get obs-nvfbc: https://gitlab.com/fzwoch/obs-nvfbc

Is it real that if I install linux, it will delete all files on both C and D disks?

4 hours ago, Jamshid said:

Is it real that if I install linux, it will delete all files on both C and D disks?

The installer will ask you if you want to use the entire drive to install Linux or to partition your existing drive so that you can dual-boot and not lose the data on Windows partitions.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

Come on. That's Linux fans who just brought the convenience of the package manager to Windows 🙂 That's not how most people keep installing software on Windows.

Even Microsoft realized the need for a proper package manager and released Winget recently.

It's not like people who are used to install software through downloading from internet will suddenly dive into package managers. They will continue to do so and it doesn't matter which OS they use at the moment. It's not uncommon to distribute software in form of appimage/flatpak either. Some developers still distribute binaries without any packaging on their websites/github.

It works other way around too. People who tend to use package managers will try to adapt in Windows by using chocolatey/winget. Microsoft even says that winget isn't "new default" but rather tool for experienced users and administrators. Windows Store also exists for 10 years or so and you can install appx from PowerShell.

I kinda do not like your bias towards superiority of "Linux way", because you're comparing Linux vs Windows but it's people who make decisions on how to distribute and download software.

32 minutes ago, gudvinr said:

It's not like people who are used to install software through downloading from internet will suddenly dive into package managers. They will continue to do so and it doesn't matter which OS they use at the moment. It's not uncommon to distribute software in form of appimage/flatpak either. Some developers still distribute binaries without any packaging on their websites/github.

It works other way around too. People who tend to use package managers will try to adapt in Windows by using chocolatey/winget. Microsoft even says that winget isn't "new default" but rather tool for experienced users and administrators. Windows Store also exists for 10 years or so and you can install appx from PowerShell.

I kinda do not like your bias towards superiority of "Linux way", because you're comparing Linux vs Windows but it's people who make decisions on how to distribute and download software.

The way people choose to distribute their software is highly influenced by the platform. If you're a Windows developer, you don't have any chance if you ask your users to type some commands in PowerShell to install their software (as 99% of users will freak out), and, if you're a Linux developer, you'll likely be frowned upon if you distribute your software as a standalone .deb or .rpm package or as a .flatpak outside of Flathub repository (as Linux users have all sorts of security concerns installing software not from trusted repositories).

7 hours ago, gudvinr said:

And it's really a fact that both Microsoft Store and proper Windows first-party package manager only appeared under pressure from other systems, such as iOS, MacOS, Android, and finally desktop Linux distros.

Anthony,

It seems you recommend Pop OS a lot.  I'm getting ready to switch from Windows now that Proton has gotten so good.  I dabbled with Mint on and off over the past few years.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on choosing Pop OS or Mint. 

Thanks!

@GabenJr

On 7/26/2021 at 5:15 PM, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

much faster and simpler to do stuff in the terminal.

Assuming you already know the commands and are comfortable in the CLI.

That's a really big assumption....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I too hated command line when I started, I thought it was archaic, but the more you use it, the better it truly gets (it's awesome).

Remember,
You spent years learning Windows, you aren't going to switch to Linux or Mac and be just as proficient overnight. Mac? Mac is easy, look how many switched to it! Every OS has a learning curve, you still need to find resources and compatible programs to replace those you lost as well as find your way around, so why do Mac/Windows switchers seem to have an easier time switching compared to Linux users? Easy, they're invested. They just spent how much on a computer that doesn't easily run the other OS, they have to make it work. With Linux you dip your toe, find something you don't like and then go running back to Windows.

Dual booting (as well as usb sticks and virtualization) is the fastest way to make sure you find everything you hate about another operating system before running back to your comfort zone. Don't get me wrong, they're great tools, they let you dip your toe and get an understanding without going all in but that's where you need to end it because you can't really explore the pool/pond/lake without getting in the water and swimming. If you want to switch you have to go all in and not give yourself an easy way out because at some point it's going to be difficult.

1 hour ago, Leslieann said:

going to be difficult.

Or flat impossible.

Find me a program under *nix that accepts Adobe LightRoom plug-ins.

Or PhotoShop plug-ins. 

Windows has an overwhelming majority on the desktop because that's where the applications are. The OS exists just to serve as a bedrock for the applications. No one gets work done in an OS, they get work done in the applications.

The ease of working in a command line is a red flag. Everyone screams about how hard (or easy) it is to work in the CLI, no one points to the wasteland that is *nix's professional application support.

And I say this as a hardcore *nix fan and user, but I am not blind to its major shortcomings.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Windows has an overwhelming majority on the desktop because that's where the applications are.

That's kinda swapping cause and effect, really. The sole reason dev's only publish for Win-OS is it's vast user base. And because they only publish for Win-OS, users have no choice and must use Win-OS. It's a (vicious) circle.

You may be too young to know, but "in them early days" Win-OS was just one of several that competed for customers. But unlike the others, Win-OS was easily distributable, w/o paying the mandatory licence fees (!!), as the OS did not have an adequate (read as: not at all) copy protection other OS-es had. So, illegal Win-OS clones ruled the consumer desktop. IIRC it was XP where Gates wanted "to finally get the Chinese to pay for Win-OS" and introduced copy protection of sorts. But by then, his OS was already dominant in the consumer- and even enterprise desktop market, because of "free Windows" supplied by system integrators. :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

45 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

in them early days

I know. GEOS, BeOS, DR-DOS, etc.

46 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

It's a (vicious) circle.

But it doesn't have to be.

Pick an install package everyone can get behind (tall order, I know) standardize (ditto) on one *nix option, and present to the world "Look, we have 10 million users, all you (software dev) have to do is make your application (package install manager friendly) and you will get a whole slew of new clients.

Instead, we have (at last count on Distro watch) 11 major distros and untold number of minor ones, all vying for attention, and enough to turn off any dev even considering porting their software over to *nix. It's preventing adoption and real competition to Windows.

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Pick an install package everyone can get behind

That's utopian as I ever seen it! 👾

19 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

(tall order, I know)

Good, you do have a sense of reality 😛

Anyway, you're overlooking an important aspect: convenience. Because of the enormous user base, people are used to Win-OS and frankly, the vast majority don't want to change, because it leads them out of their comfort-zone. Herding cattle comes to mind :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Find me a program under *nix that accepts Adobe LightRoom plug-ins.

Sorry for being pedantic, but MacOS is Unix too 😉

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Assuming you already know the commands and are comfortable in the CLI.

That's a really big assumption....

You're getting used to it over time. Within several months, those commands will just get hard-wired into your brain 🙂 I also was VERY confused when I was desperately trying to google "exe files on Linux" or "how to install programs on Linux" and then typing in those weird, cryptic commands like "sudo apt-get install..." or "sudo dpkg -i ..." But then you just start doing it without too much thought.

1 hour ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

Sorry for being pedantic, but MacOS is Unix too 😉

I'd rather piss glass than use an Apple product

Use what works best for you, I'm just glad we have viable options.