Status Updates - Redundant Read More

Eschew

Browser, Version and OS: 

Chrome, Windows 10. (WhatIsMyBrowser)

Chromium Edge, Windows 10. (WhatIsMyBrowser)

What were you doing before it happened?

Browsing the Status Updates Activity Stream.

What happened?

I noticed a particularly lengthy Status Update was filling the majority of the screen/browser.

At the bottom of the Status Update is a "Read More" button, that when clicked on, simply disappears. It doesn't expand the Status Update.

Then again, the Status Update wasn't condensed to begin with.

What did you expect to happen?

I expected the lengthy status update to be condensed on Status Update Activity Stream page.

I also expected the "Read More" button to expand a condensed Status Update. Instead, it doesn't seem to serve a purpose after clicking it.

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable:

unknown.png

Status Update Activity Stream Page

The Status Update is shown as-is when I click into the Activity Stream.

I haven't clicked on the "Read More" button for this Status Update.

unknown.png

Status Update Activity Stream Page - Before

The bottom of the lengthy Status Update, which contains a redunant "Read More" button.

unknown.png

Status Update Activity Stream Page - After

The "Read More" button has been clicked.

It disappears, and the Status Update condenses slightly.

Any other relevant details:

The redundant "Read More" issue appears both in Chrome and on Chromium Edge, when I'm signed into the forums as well as when I'm not, as well as on the user's Profile Page.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

8 minutes ago, Eschew said:

The "Read More" button has been clicked.

It disappears, and the Status Update condenses slightly.

its a known bug and usally happends.

alot of my SU's do that on mobile.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

6 minutes ago, sub68 said:

its a known bug and usally happends.

alot of my SU's do that on mobile.

Is there an existing thread in the Forum Bugs and Issues thread about it?

I'll ask the Mods to merge this thread with the existing one, if there is.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Just now, Eschew said:

Is there an existing thread in the Forum Bugs and Issues thread about it?

I'll ask the Mods to merge this thread with the existing one, if there is.

Hmm idk.

its been a problem for awhile.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

The issue here is that the read more button is added before we know the final height of the status (once images have loaded), and there's no way to add/remove it dynamically as the size changes (and that could lead to weirdness, eg with expanding spoilers). It's not ideal, but it's not problematic (and much better than the default IPS implementation, which does cause problems when this happens).

HTTP/2 203

16 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The issue here is that the read more button is added before we know the final height of the status (once images have loaded), and there's no way to add/remove it dynamically as the size changes (and that could lead to weirdness, eg with expanding spoilers). It's not ideal, but it's not problematic (and much better than the default IPS implementation, which does cause problems when this happens).

So, in the event an individual writes a long wall of text (e.g. main thread's screenshot), or posts a vertically-massive image (Example), it cannot be condensed and we have to scroll past it?

At the very least, if it's not a fixable issue, may we report the SU if someone abuses it for meme dumps and spam?

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

8 minutes ago, Eschew said:

So, in the event an individual writes a long wall of text (e.g. main thread's screenshot), or posts a vertically-massive image (Example), it cannot be condensed and we have to scroll past it?

At the very least, if it's not a fixable issue, may we report the SU if someone abuses it for meme dumps and spam?

Ah, I see. No, that isn't expected. There are cases where the show more button does appear when it's not needed, but there it looks like it just isn't working.

HTTP/2 203