Cooler for 11400f power limits unlocked.

Garak
Go to solution Solved by Gohardgrandpa,

I use a fuma 2 and love it. The cooler is big, but it's very quiet at full speed amd it works great

As far as I'm aware this processor can reach up to 200w tdp with the power limits unlocked. I wish I had known this before buying it... anyway I'm in need of a reasonably priced cooler for it.

I was eyeing the Fuma 2, but with delivery costs it puts it so near the DH-15s.

Are there any other options I might have missed?

1 minute ago, Garak said:

As far as I'm aware this processor can reach up to 200w tdp with the power limits unlocked. I wish I had known this before buying it... anyway I'm in need of a reasonably priced cooler for it.

Are there any other options I might have missed?

u12s redux?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

3 minutes ago, Garak said:

Dark Rock Pro 4 or its single fan sister Dark Rock 4? Thats also a good cheap D-15 alt. Or as @Downkey advices, U-12S. The U-14S is a single tower version of the D-15 and performs quite well too. Dark horse pick besides Fuma 2 would be the FSP Windale lineup, or Arctic Freezer 34.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

13 minutes ago, Downkey said:

u12s redux?

Does the non redux version perform better? Anyway, that's one attractive price on the redux. I wonder how well the pre applied thermal paste works I'd be tempted to try it to see.

8 hours ago, Garak said:

Does the non redux version perform better? Anyway, that's one attractive price on the redux. I wonder how well the pre applied thermal paste works I'd be tempted to try it to see.

They perform similarly but the original NH-U12S should be quieter. 

Where are you shopping / located? 

What case and ram are you using? Current load temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

They perform similarly but the original NH-U12S should be quieter. 

Where are you shopping / located? 

What case and ram are you using? Current load temps?

UK.

LANCOOL II Mesh Performance. Not built yet, coolers the last piece I need to order.

Maybe I should just get a U12A and be done with it.

I think its a bit ridiculous to spend 100$ to cool a 170$ cpu. Id get a decent cheap option like ID-cooling SE-224xt basic for 25$. U12A could be 3-5C better but the price gap is insane.

6 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

I think its a bit ridiculous to spend 100$ to cool a 170$ cpu. Id get a decent cheap option like ID-cooling SE-224xt basic for 25$. U12A could be 3-5C better but the price gap is insane.

I think so too, but I'm concerned about the temps with such a low end cooler. 11400f has 125w tdp though I believe it can spike higher. Noctua means I can use it when I upgrade to another system, but yeah there's no guarantee that'll be worth it in the long run or that it will still be compatible with whatever is there when I do want to upgrade.

Would be nice to see more thermals of the 11400f with power limits unlocked. (not sure why you'd run it at half the speed with them locked but yeah)

20 minutes ago, Garak said:

I think so too, but I'm concerned about the temps with such a low end cooler. 11400f has 125w tdp though I believe it can spike higher. Noctua means I can use it when I upgrade to another system, but yeah there's no guarantee that'll be worth it in the long run or that it will still be compatible with whatever is there when I do want to upgrade.

Would be nice to see more thermals of the 11400f with power limits unlocked. (not sure why you'd run it at half the speed with them locked but yeah)

Low end? Its just not over hyped like Noctua.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/id-cooling-se-224-xt-basic-se-224-xt-argb/6.html

It looks decent, but it's still definitely on the lower end of the coolers there and he doesn't list TDP. Fuma 2 looks good, but it's £58 not sure if that's the normal price for it or not, but cool and quiet.

I'm not sure I agree with noctua being overhyped, it's more of an investment into their fan systems and the ability to get upgrades for future sockets.

50 minutes ago, Garak said:

It looks decent, but it's still definitely on the lower end of the coolers there and he doesn't list TDP. 

The SE-224-XT Basic lists a TDP of 180w. I wouldn't recommend relying on TDP if benchmarks or review are available. http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/187/name/SE-224-XT Basic

It should be fine for unlocked power limits. The Hyper 212 Evo V2 would also work well: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/gmbCmG/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-v2-62-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-2v2e-18pk-r1

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm not sure you're familiar with the processor in question? The 212 is a weird suggestion it's such an outdated cooler it's what I'm using on my old 4690k. I don't understand why I keep being recommended coolers more suitable for 6 core Ryzens. This is an 11600k @ stock using the 212. The 11400f with power limits unlocked runs at the same TDP.

rLN550H.png

3 minutes ago, Garak said:

I'm not sure you're familiar with the processor in question? The 212 is a weird suggestion it's such an outdated cooler it's what I'm using on my old 4690k. I don't understand why I keep being recommended coolers more suitable for 6 core Ryzens. This is an 11600k @ stock using the 212. The 11400f with power limits unlocked runs at the same TDP.

rLN550H.png

Just read the review? 8700K oc'd was fine in AIDA FPU. Im baffled why ask if you think you know best.

I figured people here might be a bit more knowledgeable than to recommend a 212, yes. I'm by no means an expert, but i've done a lot of research into the Rocket Lake cpus over the past week even though they're massively under reviewed especially in relation to cooling.

It's not that I know best it's that people here have Ryzen glasses.

3 hours ago, Garak said:

I figured people here might be a bit more knowledgeable than to recommend a 212, yes. I'm by no means an expert, but i've done a lot of research into the Rocket Lake cpus over the past week even though they're massively under reviewed especially in relation to cooling.

It's not that I know best it's that people here have Ryzen glasses.

there are alot of fan boys on here. i love my Noctua d15 but its big and wont fit in some case. there probably an cheaper cooler and profroams just as well. i no some aios for the pcie can do better thow

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

11400F just makes no sense with premium coolers and motherboards. 5600X stays under 90W:s even with pbo on thanks to a massive gap in efficiency and does not require a 150$ motherboard for full performance. Its like the old days of AMD FX-series, get it if its cheap.

I use a fuma 2 and love it. The cooler is big, but it's very quiet at full speed amd it works great

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

14 hours ago, Jeppes said:

11400F just makes no sense with premium coolers and motherboards. 5600X stays under 90W:s even with pbo on thanks to a massive gap in efficiency and does not require a 150$ motherboard for full performance. Its like the old days of AMD FX-series, get it if its cheap.

Yes, in hindsight it was a bit of a trap, a false economy. I really can't be bothered sending things back to go AMD though. It's just not worth the stress. The motherboard I got on discount for £117 though so it wasn't too bad and I needed a feature usually only available in more expensive motherboards anyway. (optical audio out) 

That said Fuma 2 looks like a good half way point though at £58.70 (8.70 delivery makes me mad though) it's 5dB more quiet than a U12A at 100% fan speed and 2.5dB lower under normal load. The cheaper esports duo is what I was interested in as it was only £35, but 43dB seems on the loud side of things. U12s probably not that great performance for the price at £60. I'll keep looking to see if any of the cheaper ones offer good noise performance, but so far Fuma 2 looks like the best option.

The Fuma 2 went on sale at Amazon for £54. I have bought that.

QautIIi.png

Good choice going with the fuma 2. The cooler really is quiet at full speed and temps have been great for me

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 7/22/2021 at 6:42 PM, Garak said:

The Hyper 212 Evo V2 was released last year. There are different Hyper 212 variants. Some are better than others and the Hyper 212 Evo V2 is one of the best. 

Which one were you using?

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which one were you using?

The very first one with the X thing that's a nightmare to install.

3 hours ago, Garak said:

The very first one with the X thing that's a nightmare to install.

Ah, the Hyper 212 Evo V2 uses their newer mounting hardware that's much easier to install.