24-70 2.8 used or 18-35 1.8 new

I want a low aperture zoom lens I like both focal lengths but one is 2.8 and the other is 1.8 I need help deciding? They have benefits to both

What camera are you using? That 18-35 won't work on everything. And are both the 24-70 and 18-35's Sigma's?

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

What focal lengths do you want?

Im guessing this is for your m50, and in that case, the 24-70 is a full frame lens and kinda wasted on a crop camera. Id look at a crop zoom like a 17-55.

But really depends on the range you want from the lens.

1 minute ago, Action_Johnson said:

What camera are you using? That 18-35 won't work on everything. And are both the 24-70 and 18-35's Sigma's?

canon m50 with a adapter

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What focal lengths do you want?

Im guessing this is for your m50, and in that case, the 24-70 is a full frame lens and kinda wasted on a crop camera. Id look at a crop zoom like a 17-55.

But really depends on the range you want from the lens.

I guess ill just settle with the 18-35 because I shoot wide a lot.

2 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I guess ill just settle with the 18-35 because I shoot wide a lot.

You can get a feel for the focal lengs on your kit lens to see what you use the most.

But the 18-35 is a pretty good lens for crop cameras and video.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can get a feel for the focal lengs on your kit lens to see what you use the most.

But the 18-35 is a pretty good lens for crop cameras and video.

Yeah. I tend switching from my 22mm and 55-250 rarely use the kit lens because of the aperture.

3 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

Dont know. I was thinking of cannon but the sigma is cheaper and has os

58 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Yeah. I tend switching from my 22mm and 55-250 rarely use the kit lens because of the aperture.

Are you shooting where there isn't much light or do you want the large aperture to blur the background?

What ranges are you using the most?

Do you care about af durning video?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you shooting where there isn't much light or do you want the large aperture to blur the background?

What ranges are you using the most?

Do you care about af durning video?

I use my 22 f2 and usually go around 55-90 on my 55-250 I love the low aperture 2.8 is enough I think but I dont know. I dont care about noise in video because I rarely use my video micro and when I do its for recording the sound of beach waves which I let the autofocus set it self and I lock it with MF.

1 minute ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I use my 22 f2 and usually go around 55-90 on my 55-250 I love the low aperture 2.8 is enough I think but I dont know. I dont care about noise in video because I rarely use my video micro and when I do its for recording the sound of beach waves which I let the autofocus set it self and I lock it with MF.

Would 35mm give you much more than your 22mm can't? I find the zoom range isn't that big and you can normally crop/move closer to get the shots you need.

Would 35mm give you much more than your 22mm can't? I find the zoom range isn't that big and you can normally crop/move closer to get the shots you need.

I like 35mm more than 22mm.

Would you use the zoom on the lens? How about a 35mm 1.4?

I like to have the zoom functionality but 35mm 1.4 has a larger aperture so I'm kind of split.

1 hour ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I like to have the zoom functionality but 35mm 1.4 has a larger aperture so I'm kind of split.

Can you help me make a decision? 

This is why the Canon APS-C option sucks so much. There are virtually no lenses outside of the 4-5.6 kit zooms without an adapter (which nullifies any benefit of the system). That's a huge bummer because the Canon M cameras aren't bad. Just the lenses for them are. 

Back on topic - The Sigma 18-35 is a great lens, it'll be really sharp, with a very useful range, but the AF on the adapter will be slow as hell and that lens is not small and pretty dense. 

Back off topic - dead serious I would dump that M50 tomorrow morning and if you want to stick to a small/light kit, go either Fuji or Olympus. They're both small, light, fast, cheap, fully fleshed out for systems, and plentiful. If you get that 18-35, what are you going to do with it after you upgrade from an M50? Your buying a 3rd party lens, that fits SLR's, to adapt onto a pocketable camera with less than 10 native lenses in the portfolio. It's just not a good move and after the initial honeymoon phase, you're gonna hate it. 

Sony A7's are easy to find used for cheap as well if you want to get into FF without spending a ton. Of all the camera systems around, Canon M and Nikon APS-C Z are probably the two that make the least amount of sense to spend money on in 2021.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

1 hour ago, Action_Johnson said:

This is why the Canon APS-C option sucks so much. There are virtually no lenses outside of the 4-5.6 kit zooms without an adapter (which nullifies any benefit of the system). That's a huge bummer because the Canon M cameras aren't bad. Just the lenses for them are. 

Back on topic - The Sigma 18-35 is a great lens, it'll be really sharp, with a very useful range, but the AF on the adapter will be slow as hell and that lens is not small and pretty dense. 

Back off topic - dead serious I would dump that M50 tomorrow morning and if you want to stick to a small/light kit, go either Fuji or Olympus. They're both small, light, fast, cheap, fully fleshed out for systems, and plentiful. If you get that 18-35, what are you going to do with it after you upgrade from an M50? Your buying a 3rd party lens, that fits SLR's, to adapt onto a pocketable camera with less than 10 native lenses in the portfolio. It's just not a good move and after the initial honeymoon phase, you're gonna hate it. 

Sony A7's are easy to find used for cheap as well if you want to get into FF without spending a ton. Of all the camera systems around, Canon M and Nikon APS-C Z are probably the two that make the least amount of sense to spend money on in 2021.

I just bought this m50 in december dont want to sell it now.