How often should i charge my phone to 100%?

AleksiDj73

Hello everyone, English is not my mother tongue and i hope you understand what i say. So, i charge my phone till 80-82% sometimes even 90% and that happens because i forget to remove the charger lol and i let it drop till 15%, sometimes 10% and rarely 5%. I bought my Samsung A71 on 1st of March this year which was my birthday that day and since that day i have charged my phone to 100% like 4-5 times or so and my question is basically the title, how often should i charge my phone to 100%? Is the "charging at 80% will improve battery life, improve longevity and prevent any battery damages" thing still a thing nowadays? or am i just wasting my time? Thank you for any help!

Update 14/4/2022. If anyone is seeing this post sometime in the future, i suggest you charging your phone to at least 85% and let it drop to 15% cuz i took my phone to the Samsung service 2 months ago to maybe get a free battery replacement but they did a diagnostics check on my phone and check the battery and the battery health was at 99% lol and of course they didn't replace it but thing is that i have took over 5k photos, over 100 4K videos and around 1.500-2.000 hours or gaming in just 1 year and my phone was STILL at 99% HEALTH which was incredible. It was like i bought it new 1 month ago lol. So all in all, charge your phone to 85% for at least 1 to 1.5 years and then after that charge it to 100% for the remaining life of your phone as it's woooorth.

20 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Is the "charging at 80% will improve battery life, improve longevity and prevent any battery damages" thing still a thing nowadays?

Yes, but never worth the long term inconvenience. The best advice for a more sustainable charging pattern nowadays is to not use fast charging and use standard 5W 2A charge. And of course the rigmoral of dont get it too cold or too hot, and keeping it away from dropoff of 10-0% unless its emergency or you dont have any power outlet nor powerbank.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

32 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Hello everyone, English is not my mother tongue and i hope you understand what i say. So, i charge my phone till 80-82% sometimes even 90% and that happens because i forget to remove the charger lol and i let it drop till 15%, sometimes 10% and rarely 5%. I bought my Samsung A71 on 1st of March this year which was my birthday that day and since that day i have charged my phone to 100% like 4-5 times or so and my question is basically the title, how often should i charge my phone to 100%? Is the "charging at 80% will improve battery life, improve longevity and prevent any battery damages" thing still a thing nowadays? or am i just wasting my time? Thank you for any help!

" Android phone manufacturers, including Samsung, say the same. “Do not leave your phone connected to the charger for long periods of time or overnight." Huawei says, "Keeping your battery level as close to the middle (30% to 70%) as possible can effectively prolong the battery life." "

Maybe these will help: 

Link 1

Link 2

hey! i know to use a computer

...and yet, for all the faults my LG G6 has, I've never once thought about this.  Sometimes I charge overnight...I either use Fast Charge or 2A charger in the car (and I don't think about it), and it's often charged to 100%.  The phone is more than 4 years old now (definitely due for an upgrade), and I do charge it often, but if I don't play games on it and just use it for phone calls, it still easily lasts all day.

53 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

how often should i charge my phone to 100%?

Sony phone does this automatically, i limited mine to 80% and it will request to charge to 100% occasionally

but only to check battery health, and not for the battery health itself

53 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Is the "charging at 80% will improve battery life, improve longevity and prevent any battery damages" thing still a thing nowadays? or am i just wasting my time?

i would assume so, yes

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

48 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Yes, but never worth the long term inconvenience. The best advice for a more sustainable charging pattern nowadays is to not use fast charging and use standard 5W 2A charge. And of course the rigmoral of dont get it too cold or too hot, and keeping it away from dropoff of 10-0% unless its emergency or you dont have any power outlet nor powerbank.

Thanks for the reply!

Well i'm gonna just charge my phone at 100% if i'm like going to travel and need that extra juice for the road then yeah when that time comes i'll charge my phone at 100%. I also barely use the fast charging, i leave it at default charging speed. I've used fast charging pretty much like 5 times or so since March and i always charge my phone with it's original charger which is a 15.0W and 3.0A so yeah. And about the last part yeah, before i go out to hang out with my friends, i check how much battery i have and if i am at like 20%, i'll leave it like till it goes 30% then head out because i never know how much i'll stay out so that extra 10% or so may be super useful but i don't have a problem with that cuz i always have around 40% battery when i hang out so no problems there.

47 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

" Android phone manufacturers, including Samsung, say the same. “Do not leave your phone connected to the charger for long periods of time or overnight." Huawei says, "Keeping your battery level as close to the middle (30% to 70%) as possible can effectively prolong the battery life." "

Maybe these will help: 

Link 1

Link 2

Thanks for the reply!

I never leave my phone charge overnight, i used to do that with my old phone (Samsung A5 2017) but not with this one anymore. I have charged my current phone overnight like at least twice since March and i always charge my phone as i said till 80-82% and remove it from charging before i sleep so i have that in control

37 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

...and yet, for all the faults my LG G6 has, I've never once thought about this.  Sometimes I charge overnight...I either use Fast Charge or 2A charger in the car (and I don't think about it), and it's often charged to 100%.  The phone is more than 4 years old now (definitely due for an upgrade), and I do charge it often, but if I don't play games on it and just use it for phone calls, it still easily lasts all day.

No wonder why it lasts all day long lol, you use it for calls as you said so that's why it lasts all day long. My old phone which was the Samsung A5 2017, still works just fine but the battery was just dying quickly and i had it for 3.5 years and i replaced the battery only once but yeah with my old phone i was gaming every day and i needed to fully charge it twice every day because it was just dying too fast but thankfully i have a new phone right now

28 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Sony phone does this automatically, i limited mine to 80% and it will request to charge to 100% occasionally

but only to check battery health, and not for the battery health itself

i would assume so, yes

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah Sony phones, not Samsung lol. I use a software called AccuBattery and i have set it to charge till 80% but that though won't make my phone stop charging, when my phone reaches 80%, the phone will start vibrating 3 times to let me know that "hey it reached 80% remove the charger" but that won't stop charging the phone which is a bummer. I wish every phone has the feature that Sony phones has, stop charging whenever you want to but maybe in a few years i guess.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:04 AM, AleksiDj73 said:

No wonder why it lasts all day long lol, you use it for calls as you said so that's why it lasts all day long. My old phone which was the Samsung A5 2017, still works just fine but the battery was just dying quickly and i had it for 3.5 years and i replaced the battery only once but yeah with my old phone i was gaming every day and i needed to fully charge it twice every day because it was just dying too fast but thankfully i have a new phone right now

I don't use it just for phone calls, but I was indeed making that point. The throttled up CPU and GPU and screen activity are the biggest draws of power, naturally, and unless you're using speaker phone the phone will turn off the screen as soon as your face gets close to the screen.  I guess my point was that it's still usable and holds a charge.  Not as well as when it was new (because...duh), but it's not a situation after four years where even if I start a game up I immediately need to plug it in.  For comparison, I've never owned a handheld gaming system other than my phone, and it still hasn't become a hassle.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:21 PM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Very simple. Connect the charger when the phone needs charging. Unplug the charger when the phone says the battery is full. The phone is intended for use. You should not buy anything that you do not dare to use or that you cannot afford to service.

Well i care about my phone, i ain't the type of person to say f all to my phone and not take care of it at all. If the fact is to charge between 15-20 till 80-90% to increase the longevity of battery and not drain faster, why not do it? No point to not to. If the fact is that, i should at least test it myself for like a year or so and see the results myself. Charging from 15-100% is rather carelessness simply because if you do not care about your phone, then ofc you will charge it at 100% not giving an f about your phone. I will see myself the results and will make my own conclusions to see if charging till 80-85% increases the battery life etc etc. Thanks for the reply tho

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re routinely gaming, then charging habits are pretty irrelevant. The battery will wear down how it will, as all batteries do. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just charge it to 100% This isn't something you should lose sleep over. The benefits of not fully charging are probably miniscule as far as battery life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 5:55 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

If you’re routinely gaming, then charging habits are pretty irrelevant. The battery will wear down how it will, as all batteries do. 

I'm not like routinely gaming, i play like 2 hours a day on my phone or sometimes 3 so it's not like i play 24/7 so yeah

On 8/1/2021 at 6:34 PM, steelo said:

Just charge it to 100% This isn't something you should lose sleep over. The benefits of not fully charging are probably miniscule as far as battery life.

I don't lose sleep, i calculate every time how much my phone needs to be charged before i head to bed. I may lose like 10 minutes sleep sometimes but that doesn't bother me so i don't lose sleep

• 1 month later...

I've actually had no problems with overnight charging, and with my Telegramming throughout the day, I still have just a bit under half. I'll typically run my phone a couple years until it fails catastropically (smashed, bricked, etc). Running an S9 that I bought in late 2018.

• 1 month later...

I'll try to post when I know something factual and helpful only..in this case I know charging to 100 causes 1 cycle used hence wear. when you charge to 80 or lower it will use 0.1 cycles of wear therefore if you download accubattery or something that will tell you to unplug or stop charging at 80 you will actually have a battery that lasts 10x longer....theoretically that is, real world it will still help even if it isnt a perfect 10x less cycles..

TLDR

charge to 80 or less and have only 0.1 cycles of wear

On 9/16/2021 at 11:40 PM, Rusty Proto said:

I've actually had no problems with overnight charging, and with my Telegramming throughout the day, I still have just a bit under half. I'll typically run my phone a couple years until it fails catastropically (smashed, bricked, etc). Running an S9 that I bought in late 2018.

My old phone (Samsung A5 2017), did suffer from overnight charging and it literally drains like 20% everyday when it's idling all the time so overnight charging does f up the phone but i get what you mean

1 hour ago, Andriano20 said:

I try to charge my phone as often as possible, but not to fully charge the battery in it to 100 percent.

I only charge my phone whenever i'm low on it. Whenever i'm like 15% or so then i charge it till 85~ ish %

9 minutes ago, jre84 said:

I'll try to post when I know something factual and helpful only..in this case I know charging to 100 causes 1 cycle used hence wear. when you charge to 80 or lower it will use 0.1 cycles of wear therefore if you download accubattery or something that will tell you to unplug or stop charging at 80 you will actually have a battery that lasts 10x longer....theoretically that is, real world it will still help even if it isnt a perfect 10x less cycles..

TLDR

charge to 80 or less and have only 0.1 cycles of wear

Not to be rude or anything but i did mention about AccuBattery above but i think you didn't read it lol.

I've been using that app since i bought my phone (from March) and i have set it till 80%. Sometimes i charge it till 85% or so but not every time, it's here and there. My phone is *quite* new to say but i will see in 2 years how it holds up cuz there we will see if the 80% thingy did anything positive to my battery. First time doing this 80% tactic for 7 months now and so far so good i guess

yeah sorry I didn't read every post I'm still tired just having a coffee.

yeah If your using accubattery and its set to 80 it will benefit you in the long run

1 hour ago, jre84 said:

yeah sorry I didn't read every post I'm still tired just having a coffee.

yeah If your using accubattery and its set to 80 it will benefit you in the long run

All good bud, no worries

Yeahh. Supposedly from what i heard was that Android 12 may add a setting to stop charging at whatever % you put it so hopefully that is true cuz my phone will get Android 12. I hope that setting exists because that will be 1 less app running in the background. I mean, the setting to stop charging is software based so it's shouldn't be that hard to implement, i think, right?. We'll see though

oh thats good news!!

I have a s21 ultra 5g and hopefully it gets android 12 with that feature, I was getting like 7-8 hours sot before tweaks, now im getting 15 hours sot with tweaks but thats at 100 percent, if I could just get 10-12 hours sot with 80 percent id be happy...but it's looking like that will never happen unless android 12 is a big change.

sorry i have brain damage, but i work with what i've got even if its not much

-= Moved to Phones and Tablets =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, jre84 said:

oh thats good news!!

I have a s21 ultra 5g and hopefully it gets android 12 with that feature, I was getting like 7-8 hours sot before tweaks, now im getting 15 hours sot with tweaks but thats at 100 percent, if I could just get 10-12 hours sot with 80 percent id be happy...but it's looking like that will never happen unless android 12 is a big change.

sorry i have brain damage, but i work with what i've got even if its not much

That's good new indeed but the question is, is it true though? We'll have to wait and see i guess

Mate, 15 hours that's helluva lot of time even if it's at 100%. As long as my phone gets at least 8-10 hours of battery life then i'm happy with it tbf

Ohh damn i'm sorry to hear that but as long as you are fine physically and mentally, that's what matters, wish you the best though even though i don't know what kind of brain damage you got