Modem turning off whenever it's stressed

Flux Azreal

So recently my modem has been restarting "randomly", It's properly powered, coax cable connected correctly, and it's not overheating. It's connected to my computer via ethernet. I've called technicians over (xfinity/comcast) but all they did was replace my modem, but the issue is still there. It restart like 5 times every day, and I recall most of the time is because i'm watching some long video on youtube and skip ahead like 1 hour or so, then the video would start loading for like 2-3 seconds then everything goes offline and the modem restart (takes 5-6 minutes for it to turn back on again) So what I did to test it was I put on a space documentary on youtube and skipped ahead like 1h 10m and the same thing happened, the modem restarted. It's super weird and I was wondering if anyone has a similar issue.

36 minutes ago, Flux Azreal said:

So recently my modem has been restarting "randomly", It's properly powered, coax cable connected correctly, and it's not overheating. It's connected to my computer via ethernet. I've called technicians over (xfinity/comcast) but all they did was replace my modem, but the issue is still there. It restart like 5 times every day, and I recall most of the time is because i'm watching some long video on youtube and skip ahead like 1 hour or so, then the video would start loading for like 2-3 seconds then everything goes offline and the modem restart (takes 5-6 minutes for it to turn back on again) So what I did to test it was I put on a space documentary on youtube and skipped ahead like 1h 10m and the same thing happened, the modem restarted. It's super weird and I was wondering if anyone has a similar issue.

This is why I dont not use 1) Comcast equipment. and 2) Use any type of internet gateway(Modem/Router). Its always best to have a modem and separate router as having both in one box can cause issues. 

That all being said. It could very well be a defective gateway. I mean they do reuse these gateways as customers upgrade / cancel service. Also Comcast buys millions of these boxes as they can get a bulk discount. Id check to make sure your signal is good and maybe check the logs in the gateway. I dont know how to check the signals and logs on Comcast equipment as they pulled a Microsoft and some settings are set via the Web GUI and others are set via their app. Its fucking stupid if you ask me. OH and the best part is, you're paying like $15/m for this privilege. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Login to the modem configuration page and see if you can find if your modem stores logs. I’ve had my modem restart often in the past, it turned out to be a damaged coax line between my house and the street hub. You won’t be able to figure that out on your own, but if you find logs on the modem and show them to a technician, it could point them to a potential issue. 

23 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

This is why I dont not use 1) Comcast equipment. and 2) Use any type of internet gateway(Modem/Router). Its always best to have a modem and separate router as having both in one box can cause issues. 

That all being said. It could very well be a defective gateway. I mean they do reuse these gateways as customers upgrade / cancel service. Also Comcast buys millions of these boxes as they can get a bulk discount.

It's amazing how many people believe these ISP provided equipment should be as reliable as enterprise networking gear. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's amazing how many people believe these ISP provided equipment should be as reliable as enterprise networking gear. 

Its amazing how many people believe cheap consumer routers should be as reliable as enterprise gear.

I particularly love people who get Gigabit broadband then wonder why their $50 router can't handle it.

In this case however, I'd be willing to bet its a bad capacitor in the router or PSU.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7