How to silence my GPU (for cheap)

hi guys,

i have a msi gtx 660ti power edition gpu and the fans have been making a grinding noise recently and it's been driving me insane.

i have tried oiling the fan bearings (twice) but it has done nothing,

please note my gpu pcb is non-reference.

so my question is how can a broke teenager silence his gpu fans (for under $40).

i have been considering buying a second 4 pin noctua 80mm fan http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608006

or i could bend the gpu shroud and drill some holes to mount 120mm fans onto the card.

my friend has some corsair performance edition 120mm fans but they are 3pin and very loud, can my gpu still control the rpms for them to make the shut up?

there are also these cougar fans that i could get that are 4 pin http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006 are they any good?

Thanks for any help!

have you tried to RMA it, or is the warranty void?

Woo!

I think it would be easier and better, for you just to stick some sound dampening material on the side panels.   Or for the GPU itself the first thing I would do is change the thermal paste to keep temps down, maybe keeping the fan speed down too.  You can also try putting a little pressure on certain parts of the shroud and see if that stops it? 

Edit, just get some soft foam and cut it to fit your side panel and stick it on with double sided tape.  See if it helps. 

I've made a guide that's in my sig of a super cheap graphics card fan mod that prevents vibration noise. You're welcome to give it a try :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

best way to make your gpu silent. Remove the cooler .....wait that might be a problem.....ya dont do that

Cut the gpu's fan cable. This graphics card barely needs active cooling.

You can do some ghetto mods, like a pencil holding a 120mm fan blowing directly air to your gpu.

i would just use my friend's sp120s because they are the most convenient, but will the fans run always at max because they are 3 pin? and should i worry about gpu fan spec being different with case fans?

Replace the thermal paste with something better. This should keep it cooler and allow you to use a quieter fan curve.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Buy this for $32. I bought mine from this site and they are in the same building as ncix and shipped to my house in 2 days. Also the fan on the cooler even at 12v (full speed) was quieter than any other 120mm fan in case. My GPU temps went from 77C to 50C or lower.

http://www.computers-canada.ca/store/products/1027016500/DCACO-V430001-BL/Arctic%20Cooling/

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

hi guys,

i have a msi gtx 660ti power edition gpu and the fans have been making a grinding noise recently and it's been driving me insane.

i have tried oiling the fan bearings (twice) but it has done nothing,

please note my gpu pcb is non-reference.

so my question is how can a broke teenager silence his gpu fans (for under $40).

i have been considering buying a second 4 pin noctua 80mm fan http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608006

or i could bend the gpu shroud and drill some holes to mount 120mm fans onto the card.

my friend has some corsair performance edition 120mm fans but they are 3pin and very loud, can my gpu still control the rpms for them to make the shut up?

there are also these cougar fans that i could get that are 4 pin http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006 are they any good?

Thanks for any help!

Which chassis do u have..??

take the fans off there you go silent  :D

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Thanks for all the help everyone

i found this post showing those cougar fans on sale for 5 bucks each! ill probably get those, the deal work in canada as well!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/135613-us-cougar-vortex-120mm-pwm-fans-5/

I'll have to take off the heatsink to cut some proper adapters anyways so i will replace the thermal paste with some arctic silver 5.

ill post my progress in the modding section of the forum once i get the fans and everything.

so will it be ok to re wire the gpu fan header on my gpu's pcb so i can connect the cougar fans to it, or do i plug them into my mobo, i just want my gpu controlling the fans but i don't want any damage to occur because of the gpu fans having different specs than case fans?

Just remove the Heatsinks and fans, and run the card without them, see what happens xD

This is a joke, please do not attempt

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8