Duel booting on a laptop

EricW

Hi, I am pretty new to this kind of stuff, and I am wondering if it is possible to dual boot Linux from a windows laptop, and what to expect when dual booting

4 minutes ago, EricW said:

Hi, I am pretty new to this kind of stuff, and I am wondering if it is possible to dual boot Linux from a windows laptop, and what to expect when dual booting

Yeah you can, I'm not sure exactly how you do it tho.

8 minutes ago, EricW said:

Yes it is possible.
Expect Windows to break things, (like Windows overwriting GRUB and messing up your Linux bootup) especially if both OSs are going to reside on a single drive with shared EFI partition. Which brings me to my 1st question, do you plan on (have the possibility) to use separate drives?
My 2nd question would be: do you must have secure boot on?
Last question, which Linux distro do you plan to use?

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

15 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Yes it is possible.
Expect Windows to break things, (like Windows overwriting GRUB and messing up your Linux bootup) especially if both OSs are going to reside on a single drive with shared EFI partition. Which brings me to my 1st question, do you plan on (have the possibility) to use separate drives?
My 2nd question would be: do you must have secure boot on?
Last question, which Linux distro do you plan to use?

1- No

2- Windows 11

3- Ubuntu

On 7/18/2021 at 5:23 PM, EricW said:

1- No

All right, you will want to manually partition it. If Windows decides to take a dump on GRUB don't panic, research the subject a little and you will find a way to recover it.

You should disable hibernation and fast startup to avoid data corruption problems as well as partially initialized hardware (like WiFi) problems.

On 7/18/2021 at 5:23 PM, EricW said:

2- Windows 11

3- Ubuntu

Ubuntu supports secure boot out of the box, on some distros like Arch you have to go through generating keys and signing the kernel manually (not novice friendly). So you are good.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet