Is 'never sleep' bad for the computer?

Xolin

Is leaving the computer in this 'Never Sleep' mode bad for the computer? Will this be a problem when I download games?

I never put mine to sleep. It stays on 99% of the time. I only have it set to turn off my displays after 30 minutes to prevent burn in. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Xolin said:

Is leaving the computer in this 'Never Sleep' mode bad for the computer? Will this be a problem when I download games?

Not putting your computer to sleep isn't necessarily bad, however giving it a proper restart every now and then can help improve performance.

Data Systems Administrator | Sergeant - US Marine Corps | CCNA / SEC+

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

Hardware? Maybe, possible, not really. PC components tend to have a pretty good life span.

Windows on the other hand, probably would start to slow down and bugs could start to occur since Windows isn't designed with being on for prolonged periods of time.

I work on a Service Desk and I have come across PC's that have been running for 30 days + and basically cease to function because of memory leaks.

if you're planning on running a PC non stop i'd recommend using either Linux or Windows Server. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Thank you guys. 

Should I set power to balanced, Power Saver, or high performance?

image.png.630d2b715d03c90236fc12bfaf78c467.png

I never turn off my computer unless there is one of those windows update restart notifications, It runs 24/7 otherwise. I have it hooked up to a projector so i don't even bother with the turn off monitor crap since i turn on/off the projector when I'm using it.

You’ll get a lot more dust buildup which will require you to take it apart for cleaning much more frequently. You’ll also have to pay for the electrical use.

I don’t know, all it takes is hitting a random key on your keyboard to wake it up so why not have it sleep? 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

It will wear out fans, HDDs, and possibly other components faster if you don't put it to sleep. Because rather than having the opportunity to spin down they are constantly active. Besides those most other components are rated for long enough that you will likely replace them before they could ever fail.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

if you have things to do on it, it's fine to leave it on

otherwise, you're just burning electricity and making the room warmer for no good reason

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Despite all anecdotes that 'Sleeping and waking is the worst, most stressful thing you can do for a computer!', by default Windows 10 will sleep after 2hrs of not being used.  Despite this, there are no harrowing stories of how the Windows defaults have ruined millions of dollars of computer hardware.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

I do this on my computer. I dont think there is anything wrong with it except the higher eletric usuage 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 7/16/2021 at 1:12 PM, Xolin said:

I left my personal rig on 24/7 for 18 months, it still works like new.

No issues resulted from that time period. I was running F@H if that helps give an idea of how it performed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 7/17/2021 at 3:11 PM, NineEyeRon said:

Mine boots to desktop in like 6 seconds so I just shut it down. Sleep seems pointless.

My current main PC (a 2015 Clevo laptop with 64GB RAM, i7-6700K, booting from 1TB 2.5" WD Blue 3D SATA SSD) often can take about 45 seconds or so to POST! 😮 My dad's old 2008 Dell laptop (Core 2 Duo T7250, 2GB RAM, booting from 240GB 2.5" Crucial BX300 SSD) will post, boot, and get to the Windows 10 desktop (having just entered the login info, if I'm quick enough) about the time my laptop is just showing the FIRST screen after hitting the power button.

Spoiler

The Dell laptop would have easily gotten all the way to the WIndows desktop before the American Megatrends logo appeared on the Clevo, if there wasn't a several seconds dual-boot delay (giving me the opportunity to select between Linux & Windows on startup).
The third PC, using the monitor on the piano, is a desktop with an i7-4790K, 32GB RAM and I think at the time booting from a 256GB 2.5" Crucial M550 SSD.

Also getting INTO windows takes a while, and opening up programs, apps I had running from the previous time, etc.  Just loading Chrome or FireFox can take a good 10-30 minutes or so, I think (I haven't precisely timed it though), part of that is because I have it set to remember my previous session, and I have a probably-not-the-best habit of getting burned out on working on some things, and starting other projects before finishing the first, not closing things, forgetting where tabs were, opening new ones, etc.
This is more a topic for a different post / forum, but... I'm probably due for a PC upgrade.  (I wanted to hold off until late 2022 or 2024, for multiple reasons, some related to longevity of my next system.)   To summarize the upgrade I'll looking for -- there are things that have taken me several months to do (and I got burned out from) that I'd like to be able to have done in maybe a week, encoding 4 minutes of max-quality HEVC 4K video can take 4 days on my 4790K (I'd like the new one to be as fast as encoding 320kbps mp3 is on the 4790K - 2 minutes to encode 2 hours of audio), and for smaller tasks, I'd like to be able to take tasks that take several hours or so, and get a couple of those done every minute or something like that.  (Of course how quick the computer user is with doing things would be a factor, too, and would probably drag the speed down a bit... but if I could have several dozen or hundred things going simultaneously, at least as much as my brain could handle which may not be that much....)

I normally keep mine on for a few days before I start noticing FPS drops and small issues after about 10 days it will crash if I try to play some thing high performance.

On 7/16/2021 at 2:13 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

I only have it set to turn off my displays after 30 minutes to prevent burn in. 

I run LCD panels so they don't burn in

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I usally turn off my main machine.

But my secound machine never turns off

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Nope. I haven't turned my PC off in years, aside from the random reboots MS Update decides to do. No issues.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:54 PM, Roswell said:

You’ll get a lot more dust buildup which will require you to take it apart for cleaning much more frequently. You’ll also have to pay for the electrical use.

I don’t know, all it takes is hitting a random key on your keyboard to wake it up so why not have it sleep? 

Depends on your local surroundings. I've lived in several different places, and have only had dust build up issues in older houses where there are more things prone to collecting dust. I've never taken my PC apart to clean it, as I've never had to.

On 7/16/2021 at 2:02 PM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It will wear out fans, HDDs, and possibly other components faster if you don't put it to sleep. Because rather than having the opportunity to spin down they are constantly active. Besides those most other components are rated for long enough that you will likely replace them before they could ever fail.

While you're technically correct, it's by no means something the OP should be worried about, as it won't shorten the life by any amount he's likely to notice. Also, a lot of things fare better in a constant state rather than being powered up and powered down again.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, Moonzy said:

if you have things to do on it, it's fine to leave it on

otherwise, you're just burning electricity and making the room warmer for no good reason

Not necessarily. Most PCs only generate enough heat to increase room warmth when they're doing something intensive, and when idle PCs really don't burn much electricity at all.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

when idle PCs really don't burn much electricity at all.

Idk, 40-60W by my measurements from my wattmeter

That can definitely slowly warm up my room

And adds about $3 to monthly electricity

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Idk, 40-60W by my measurements from my wattmeter

That can definitely slowly warm up my room

And adds about $3 to monthly electricity

Right. It won't warm up a room, and $25/year isn't really a whole lot of cash. I spend almost twice that every day on my snack break.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Basically all of my computers are on 24/7. Most perform some sort of a server function, and the rest are on for convenience. They're all fairly energy efficient for their performance, so it doesn't raise my power bill by more than a few dollars. Plus, one of the rooms I have a machine running in needs to stay warm for some of my pets, so that works out well. 

I've never lost hardware simply from running it 24/7. Any hardware that has failed has failed simply due to age (bad caps, failed cooling fans, etc.). One of my file servers is a 2008-era Dell OptiPlex 755. It was used as a business server from the time it was new until it was retired, then I got it and have used it as a server ever since. Still works beautifully. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Right. It won't warm up a room, and $25/year isn't really a whole lot of cash. I spend almost twice that every day on my snack break.

Why would you leave it on though? Unless if you have a reason to.

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Why would you leave it on though? Unless if you have a reason to.

Why not? I don't have to do anything extra, updates will download while I'm sleeping, and really the $25/year isn't even noticeable.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why not? I don't have to do anything extra, updates will download while I'm sleeping, and really the $25/year isn't even noticeable.

Updates can also download while you're using the PC too

Tho I'm on the boat that never sleeps my PC because I do something on it

And I hate it when windows restart it, because everything I have open will be closed and some of them not saved

sleep is broken on windows anyway, use hibernate its much better and uses less energy…

also if you arent going to use your pc for a while just turn it off, common sense, more safe, less wear, less energy. why is this even a question  lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity