Most Powerful PSU -sort of...

PixelSpielkind

..Is that a Corsair PSU on your desk? Is that on Purpose or are you too stupid to Build a PC šŸ˜„Ā 

PSK00201.thumb.jpg.2c9be96f4b17e5cdc1d7b5932c1f33d1.jpg

Ā 

The Start
It all started with an Asrock Deskmini X300 small Form Factor PC - Nice Mini but Powerful "Workstation"

The Hardware
The X300 has a rather boring case, but SupportĀ AM4 APUs with up to 65W, two M.2 NVME Slots, two SATA 3 Ports - and ONE optional RGB-Strip šŸ˜„
It was equipped with:Ā 

• Asrock X300M-STX Mainboard
  • AMD Ryzen 7 4750G APU (8-Core/16 Threads and VEGA Graphics)Ā 
  • NoctuaĀ NH-L9a-AM4 Cooler
  • 2x16GB Crucial DDR4 SODIMM (running at 3400 MHz)
  • 2x 1 TB NVME M.2 SSDs (Samsung / Sandisk)Ā 
  • 2 TB Samsung 2,5" SSD.

Board_s.thumb.JPG.8b01314035235bb8720d711054be62d1.JPG

Ā 

The Idea

DonĀ“t ask me how I got the IdeaĀ to compare them, but one day I saw that the measurements of a standard ATX PSU and the Asrock X300 were almost identical - so what could possibly go wrongĀ šŸ˜„. So I bought a defective Corsair RM 750x PSU on eBayĀ and started - With a small battery powered Dremel, a 3D-Printer and no Idea if it would work out.

Ā 

Ā 

The Build - New Gadgets
Instead of the one supported LED-Strip form Asrock, I wanted to be a little more flexible on the RGB-Side - So I used a QL140 Corsair Case Fan and the iCUE Lighting node Core.Ā 

First Issue:
Damn you Corsair - Why did you use a 135mm Fan on the PSU and not a 140mm one... That was Hard without the right tools to "drill" the correct holes for the QL140 FanĀ šŸ¤£

Second Issue:
The RGB-Controller needs SATA Power: No Issue with a standard Case, but this one does not have any Power Cables and an external PSU for the Mainboard. So now I have a PC within a PSU-Case which is Powered by 2 external PSUs - one for the Computer itself and one for the RGB :D.

Third Issue:
Space Requirements and Heat:Ā The M.2 on the Top of the Mainboard has a Heatsink but the one below the Mainboard and the 2,5" SSD might need some fresh air too, thatĀ“s why there is anĀ Noctua 40mm Fan - oh and to be able to add a second "2,5 Inch" SSD later, I opened the Samsung SSD and threw away the case (and the warranty obviously) - funny how small a 2 TB SSD is without the housing..
SSD_Samsung.thumb.JPG.dc85610629a5f0c0dd3ff677fa2b1171.JPG

Ā 

Fourth Issue:Ā 
Front IO - The Mainboard has front I/O directly on the Board. With my Tools (and lack of talent), I would not have had ANY chance of cutting clean and precise holes for these in the Front of the Case. So the funny solution was: Buying some short adapter CablesĀ from Asia and designing and Printing anĀ adapter. Now you can connect USB-C, USB and Audio where you would originally plug in the Power Cable. And the Power Switch is also the original one. But it does not really "switch" anymore. Still you can turn Computer on with it (the original Power Button is behind it)... Due to the Adapter Cables, I needed to move the Mainboard a few Millimeters back, so it did not fit 100% IN the Case. And I needed to Print a new Backplate
Printed_S.thumb.JPG.0dca50dcf3d4372bfcca0fa7094b7d3c.JPG
Ā 

The Fun-Prints

Instead of the original metall Fan Grill, I 3D-Printed one with the Corsair Logo. I did not really had an Idea for the side where all the modular Cables were plugged in before.... but a Colleague of mine gave me the Idea to use PacMan as a Theme there as well to cover the Holes. So I 3D-Printed a PacMan Grid and glued some white dust filter behind. And since the QL140 FAN has 2 Individual adressable LED-Rings I can even Light the Back Corsair Font and theĀ Pacman Side almost individually with the bottom Ring. Oh and did I mention? The Ghosts and PacMan above my Desk are controlled via CorsairĀ“sĀ iCUE Software too, since the RGB-Controller has the first 3 connectors facing the Back of the Computer, so I can connectĀ LEDs externally šŸ˜„

Ā 

PSK00375.thumb.jpg.edde9254a256219d6383f6371750f45e.jpg
Ā 

PSK00391.thumb.jpg.262617be4525858f482f0fbb68bf3d92.jpg

Ā 

PSK00398.thumb.jpg.9879cebb066f9c1427a845202c7b346e.jpg

Ā 

As my first every CaseMod, IĀ“m happy...

Sure - I would have done some things differently in retrospect. But I canĀ“t just buy more defective PSUs and continue the "trial and error"-Modding šŸ¤£. AND this is my main Computer for Lightroom, Photoshop and some Light Gaming. It still manages Forza Horizon 4 in medium-ish FullHD Details with about 50 FPS - and apart from that, i donĀ“t have any options anyway, since thereĀ“s no PCIe Slot šŸ˜„

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You built a freaking PC inside a PSU enclosure!?

Ā 

God damn. The rear IO could certainly do with some extra work, but overall, it looks nice.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700xĀ / GPU:Ā Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GBĀ / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GBĀ DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming PlusĀ / NVME: CorsairĀ MP510 240GB / Case:Ā TT Core v21Ā / PSU: Seasonic 750WĀ / OS: WinĀ 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You built a freaking PC inside a PSU enclosure!?

Ā 

God damn. The rear IO could certainly do with some extra work, but overall, it looks nice.

Thanks... šŸ˜„Ā yeah the Rear I/O still needs some work, I agree...Ā 

8 minutes ago, PixelSpielkind said:

Damn you Corsair - Why did you use a 135mm Fan on the PSU and not a 140mm one... That was Hard without the right tools to "drill" the correct holes for the QL140 Fan

Patent issues. Another company has a patent on using 140mm fans in PSUs, so 135mm fans are standard for power supplies.Ā 

Ā 

Was there a reason you didn't rotate the motherboard 90 degrees so the motherboard rear IO is where the PSU modular panel is?Ā 

Ā 

Nice build though! @jonnyGURUĀ might get a kick out of it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700kĀ  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Do you realize how seriously impressive this is? It's unreal!

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Ā 

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Ā 

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Ā 

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Not the RMX850? Disappointing...

But seriously, build looks exceptional, great creativity!

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Patent issues. Another company has a patent on using 140mm fans in PSUs, so 135mm fans are standard for power supplies.Ā 

Ā 

Was there a reason you didn't rotate the motherboard 90 degrees so the motherboard rear IO is where the PSU modular panel is?Ā 

Ā 

Nice build though! @jonnyGURUĀ might get a kick out of it.

Oh thatĀ“s why theyĀ“re using 135mm, I see...Ā 
Rotating wouldnĀ“t really haveĀ worked, the Rear I/O would not fit in the holes of the modular Panel. So I would have needed to do some cuts to fit... and on the Front I/O would have been at the grill on the Side, which would have required additional cuts...Ā  Ā I thought it looks much cleaner with the Clear Front and the Front I/O fitted within the Power-Connector..Ā 

5 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Not the RMX850? Disappointing...

But seriously, build looks exceptional, great creativity!

Well.. It was just a matter of "Which one I could get as a defective Device at eBay" šŸ˜„ I didnĀ“t want to buy an expensive new one just to rip it apart...

25 minutes ago, PixelSpielkind said:

Rotating wouldnĀ“t really haveĀ worked, the Rear I/O would not fit in the holes of the modular Panel. So I would have needed to do some cuts to fit... and on the Front I/O would have been at the grill on the Side, which would have required additional cuts...Ā  Ā I thought it looks much cleaner with the Clear Front and the Front I/O fitted within the Power-Connector..Ā 

I was thinking if you had access to someone with a laser cutter you could cut out a thin piece of aluminium or steel with the rear I/O layout to replace the existing panel where the PSU modular panel is.

The width of the ATX PSU is standard (150mm wide) but the length isn't. The RM750x 2018 is 160mm long. You can get PSUs that are a little longer, like the original RM750x is a little longer at 180mm length if you did need extra room. (Not actually suggesting you replace it, just noting it if you ever decide to make another).

Ā 

But the problem would still be the front I/O. I can see why that would be an issue. Since you're using adapters to route it to where the power switch/plug were (super cool idea by the way!) You could still route the front panel I/O via the extension cables there with the board rotated, providing it doesn't interfere with anything else and the cables are long enough.

Sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking, I really like what you did and I'm really interested in it.

Ā 

51 minutes ago, PixelSpielkind said:

Third Issue:
Space Requirements and Heat:Ā The M.2 on the Top of the Mainboard has a Heatsink but the one below the Mainboard and the 2,5" SSD might need some fresh air too, thatĀ“s why there is anĀ Noctua 40mm Fan - oh and to be able to add a second "2,5 Inch" SSD later, I opened the Samsung SSD and threw away the case (and the warranty obviously) - funny how small a 2 TB SSD is without the housing

Would it be possible to mount the SSD vertical on the side of the wall of the PSU opposite of where the rear I/O is instead of under the motherboard? Have the SATA connector side facing down so you could still route the cable under the motherboard tray. That way the main fan could provide cooling to the SSD as well without needing the extra 40mm fan.Ā 

Ā 

Any photos of the motherboard installed without the PSU enclosure sealed? I'm curious to see how tight a fit the motherboard is in thereĀ 

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700kĀ  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

bruh

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This is amazing.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.Ā Ā 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock,Ā Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVOĀ NVMeĀ Win 10 boot drive,Ā 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD,Ā CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.Ā 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Ā 

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I was thinking if you had access to someone with a laser cutter you could cut out a thin piece of aluminium or steel with the rear I/O layout to replace the existing panel where the PSU modular panel is.

The width of the ATX PSU is standard (150mm wide) but the length isn't. The RM750x 2018 is 160mm long. You can get PSUs that are a little longer, like the original RM750x is a little longer at 180mm length if you did need extra room. (Not actually suggesting you replace it, just noting it if you ever decide to make another).

Ā 

But the problem would still be the front I/O. I can see why that would be an issue. Since you're using adapters to route it to where the power switch/plug were (super cool idea by the way!) You could still route the front panel I/O via the extension cables there with the board rotated, providing it doesn't interfere with anything else and the cables are long enough.

Sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking, I really like what you did and I'm really interested in it.

Ā 

Would it be possible to mount the SSD vertical on the side of the wall of the PSU opposite of where the rear I/O is instead of under the motherboard? Have the SATA connector side facing down so you could still route the cable under the motherboard tray. That way the main fan could provide cooling to the SSD as well without needing the extra 40mm fan.Ā 

Ā 

Any photos of the motherboard installed without the PSU enclosure sealed? I'm curious to see how tight a fit the motherboard is in thereĀ 

@Spotty

Well I have been looking for other PSUs which are Slighty bigger and donĀ“t just look like a "box", IĀ“ve seen that Corsair has some bigger ones, but there are not as many defective ones on ebay (whic probably speaks for Corsair Quality :D), so I bought what I could get without paying a premium šŸ˜„

Ā 

Laser Cutter was my first thought on the PacMan Side Panel - I guess If IĀ“d knew someone with that kind of Gear I would have rethought some decisions - not neccessarily the PowerPlug I/O Idea though... But on the other Hand - the Board would probably have fitted within 1 mm in the Case, If IĀ“d just done some Front IO cutouts...Ā 

Ā 

The SATA Connector is using a flat custom connectorĀ which includesĀ Power and Data and Asrock provides 2 Cables, which are notĀ really long, so youĀ“re not THAT flexible when it comes to positioning the SSD (and thereĀ“s not really space for extension cables.... But thereĀ“s no space to mount them vertically anyway...Ā 

IĀ“ve just open the Case and took some pictures... thereĀ“s not that much space leftĀ šŸ˜„ Unfortunately, even the Adpater Cables for the Front I/O took more space than I thought, but these were the only ones IĀ could find where I could specify length and Orientation of the 90 degree AnglesĀ connectors ... For the Headphone Connection IĀ“ve used the Mainboard Connector instead of the Front I/O. Which mean IĀ“m missing the Microphone - But IĀ“m using an external Audio Interface Anyway...Ā 

Ā 

Case04.thumb.JPG.1a304fa7e885b8aa8fb3bfd7b73b72dc.JPGCase05.thumb.jpg.8e5f6a43cabe716727365c2f8667a13d.jpgCase03.thumb.JPG.20ba8365f809e9c1732b9a502b9560af.JPGCase02.thumb.JPG.5f99f42ce2e9401c52ba50ba44bb8319.JPG

Looking at those internal pics there's less available room on the sides than I expected. Plus if the SSD was mounted to the side vertically it would be a pain every time you open the psu enclosure as you'd have to unplug the drive to take the fan/panel off.

You did well to use all of the space available.Ā 

Thanks for the extra photos, looks even better showing off the internals assembled like that.

2 hours ago, PixelSpielkind said:

..Is that a Corsair PSU on your desk? Is that on Purpose or are you too stupid to Build a PC šŸ˜„Ā 

PSK00201.thumb.jpg.2c9be96f4b17e5cdc1d7b5932c1f33d1.jpg

Ā 

The Start
It all started with an Asrock Deskmini X300 small Form Factor PC - Nice Mini but Powerful "Workstation"

The Hardware
The X300 has a rather boring case, but SupportĀ AM4 APUs with up to 65W, two M.2 NVME Slots, two SATA 3 Ports - and ONE optional RGB-Strip šŸ˜„
It was equipped with:Ā 

• Asrock X300M-STX Mainboard
  • AMD Ryzen 7 4750G APU (8-Core/16 Threads and VEGA Graphics)Ā 
  • NoctuaĀ NH-L9a-AM4 Cooler
  • 2x16GB Crucial DDR4 SODIMM (running at 3400 MHz)
  • 2x 1 TB NVME M.2 SSDs (Samsung / Sandisk)Ā 
  • 2 TB Samsung 2,5" SSD.

Board_s.thumb.JPG.8b01314035235bb8720d711054be62d1.JPG

Ā 

The Idea

DonĀ“t ask me how I got the IdeaĀ to compare them, but one day I saw that the measurements of a standard ATX PSU and the Asrock X300 were almost identical - so what could possibly go wrongĀ šŸ˜„. So I bought a defective Corsair RM 750x PSU on eBayĀ and started - With a small battery powered Dremel, a 3D-Printer and no Idea if it would work out.

Ā 

Ā 

The Build - New Gadgets
Instead of the one supported LED-Strip form Asrock, I wanted to be a little more flexible on the RGB-Side - So I used a QL140 Corsair Case Fan and the iCUE Lighting node Core.Ā 

First Issue:
Damn you Corsair - Why did you use a 135mm Fan on the PSU and not a 140mm one... That was Hard without the right tools to "drill" the correct holes for the QL140 FanĀ šŸ¤£

Second Issue:
The RGB-Controller needs SATA Power: No Issue with a standard Case, but this one does not have any Power Cables and an external PSU for the Mainboard. So now I have a PC within a PSU-Case which is Powered by 2 external PSUs - one for the Computer itself and one for the RGB :D.

Third Issue:
Space Requirements and Heat:Ā The M.2 on the Top of the Mainboard has a Heatsink but the one below the Mainboard and the 2,5" SSD might need some fresh air too, thatĀ“s why there is anĀ Noctua 40mm Fan - oh and to be able to add a second "2,5 Inch" SSD later, I opened the Samsung SSD and threw away the case (and the warranty obviously) - funny how small a 2 TB SSD is without the housing..
SSD_Samsung.thumb.JPG.dc85610629a5f0c0dd3ff677fa2b1171.JPG

Ā 

Fourth Issue:Ā 
Front IO - The Mainboard has front I/O directly on the Board. With my Tools (and lack of talent), I would not have had ANY chance of cutting clean and precise holes for these in the Front of the Case. So the funny solution was: Buying some short adapter CablesĀ from Asia and designing and Printing anĀ adapter. Now you can connect USB-C, USB and Audio where you would originally plug in the Power Cable. And the Power Switch is also the original one. But it does not really "switch" anymore. Still you can turn Computer on with it (the original Power Button is behind it)... Due to the Adapter Cables, I needed to move the Mainboard a few Millimeters back, so it did not fit 100% IN the Case. And I needed to Print a new Backplate
Printed_S.thumb.JPG.0dca50dcf3d4372bfcca0fa7094b7d3c.JPG
Ā 

The Fun-Prints

Instead of the original metall Fan Grill, I 3D-Printed one with the Corsair Logo. I did not really had an Idea for the side where all the modular Cables were plugged in before.... but a Colleague of mine gave me the Idea to use PacMan as a Theme there as well to cover the Holes. So I 3D-Printed a PacMan Grid and glued some white dust filter behind. And since the QL140 FAN has 2 Individual adressable LED-Rings I can even Light the Back Corsair Font and theĀ Pacman Side almost individually with the bottom Ring. Oh and did I mention? The Ghosts and PacMan above my Desk are controlled via CorsairĀ“sĀ iCUE Software too, since the RGB-Controller has the first 3 connectors facing the Back of the Computer, so I can connectĀ LEDs externally šŸ˜„

Ā 

PSK00375.thumb.jpg.edde9254a256219d6383f6371750f45e.jpg
Ā 

PSK00391.thumb.jpg.262617be4525858f482f0fbb68bf3d92.jpg

Ā 

PSK00398.thumb.jpg.9879cebb066f9c1427a845202c7b346e.jpg

Ā 

As my first every CaseMod, IĀ“m happy...

Sure - I would have done some things differently in retrospect. But I canĀ“t just buy more defective PSUs and continue the "trial and error"-Modding šŸ¤£. AND this is my main Computer for Lightroom, Photoshop and some Light Gaming. It still manages Forza Horizon 4 in medium-ish FullHD Details with about 50 FPS - and apart from that, i donĀ“t have any options anyway, since thereĀ“s no PCIe Slot šŸ˜„

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This is the most insane thing I've ever seen and I love everything about it

i do the writing of things helloĀ | they/them

Ā