Are there any other use of my iGPU on my APU if i already procured a dGPU ?

Zaphkiel

my future setup probably a

APU : ryzen 5 3400g 

and getting a Gtx 1660 Super in the latter time

(feel free to suggest other combination of setups with a reasonable budget)

will my iGPU on my APU be idle after i got a dGPU?

Yes it will be on idle, a couple of reasons to have it is if you want to use another monitor for some task however you absolutely dont want to affect the dGPUs performace (even though most times the performance loss isnt much), some iGPUs can have better encoding for videos editing (quicksync for an example)

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

2 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

Yes it will be on idle, a couple of reasons to have it is if you want to use another monitor for some task however you absolutely dont want to affect the dGPUs performace (even though most times the performance loss isnt much), some iGPUs can have better encoding for videos editing (quicksync for an example)

so for example, 

i use my dgpu on my first monitor as a main gaming machine and connect the second monitor with my igpu for like work, light editing, scripting and etc. is that correct?

Yes, though you might need to configure in Windows which app uses which GPU. Open Setting App, go to System and then Display. Scroll to the bottom until you see Graphics settings. There you can add your app and choose High performance.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Yes, though you might need to configure in Windows which app uses which GPU. Open Setting App, go to System and then Display. Scroll to the bottom until you see Graphics settings. There you can add your app and choose High performance.

does it need a specific installation of driver application for each gpu ? bc the igpu from amd and the dgpu from nvidia 

Yes, you need both drivers to run your system if you plan to use both GPU.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 minute ago, Chiyawa said:

Yes, you need both drivers to run your system if you plan to use both GPU.

got it 

Your bios will disable iGPU by default when it detects dGPU

So you'll have to enable it in bios

Secondly, if you're mixing AMD and Nvidia drivers, not too sure what will happen but it'll probably be fine

Thirdly, not much reason to use iGPU unless you need to use the ports on your motherboard, or want to run multiple games for some reason

I've done Intel CPU with AMD or Nvidia GPU (separately) before, never had issues

But I heard some people are having issues doing this with AMD APU so it's a gamble I guess

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/16/2021 at 1:33 PM, Moonzy said:

Your bios will disable iGPU by default when it detects dGPU

So you'll have to enable it in bios

Secondly, if you're mixing AMD and Nvidia drivers, not too sure what will happen but it'll probably be fine

Thirdly, not much reason to use iGPU unless you need to use the ports on your motherboard, or want to run multiple games for some reason

I've done Intel CPU with AMD or Nvidia GPU (separately) before, never had issues

But I heard some people are having issues doing this with AMD APU so it's a gamble I guess

So after i procured and install a dGPU in my pc, the iGPU Changed its role into an Extra or additional GPU for a 2nd monitor only? or are there any other uses of my iGPU?

4 hours ago, Zaphkiel said:

So after i procured and install a dGPU in my pc, the iGPU Changed its role into an Extra or additional GPU for a 2nd monitor only? or are there any other uses of my iGPU?

It's disabled by default and you can't use it, as I mentioned

Depends, you can still use it to run applications but why would you? When you have a much better processor already

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately