Does anyone notice a difference between 60hz and 144hz

SquiddyButler

I'm 99% positive I set everything up correctly and am using a 144hz monitor, but I notice no difference between the two, even if I switch back and forth. Does anyone else notice it or is it just me?

1 minute ago, SquiddyButler said:

I'm 99% positive I set everything up correctly and am using a 144hz monitor, but I notice no difference between the two, even if I switch back and forth. Does anyone else notice it or is it just me?

I think it's a personal thing in most cases, but it's possible you're using it wrong since most people notice a big difference between 60hz and 144hz. Personally I notice a titanic difference and I'm actually saving up for a new PC just to be able to play at 144fps in more games just because of how irritating anything below 72fps~ is for me now that I'm used to 144hz. Again, you might be doing something wrong, or you might just be gifted with the ability to not have to worry about framerate.

1 minute ago, bungusboy81 said:

I think it's a personal thing in most cases, but it's possible you're using it wrong since most people notice a big difference between 60hz and 144hz. Personally I notice a titanic difference and I'm actually saving up for a new PC just to be able to play at 144fps in more games just because of how irritating anything below 72fps~ is for me now that I'm used to 144hz. Again, you might be doing something wrong, or you might just be gifted with the ability to not have to worry about framerate.

If it's not a hassle for you, could you list everything that i'm supposed to do so I can make sure im doing it right?

Just now, SquiddyButler said:

If it's not a hassle for you, could you list everything that i'm supposed to do so I can make sure im doing it right?

1. Go into advanced display info

2. At the bottom there should be a refresh rate option

3. Click the closest thing to 144, for me it's 143.855

Also if you're using an nVidia GPU you can go into the NVCP and go into the resolution section, there will be a refresh rate option at the side and you can switch it to 144hz. I think the advanced display info thing is probably easier.

5 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

1. Go into advanced display info

2. At the bottom there should be a refresh rate option

3. Click the closest thing to 144, for me it's 143.855

Also if you're using an nVidia GPU you can go into the NVCP and go into the resolution section, there will be a refresh rate option at the side and you can switch it to 144hz. I think the advanced display info thing is probably easier.

Yep, everything is like that. I don't know what to do. Guess I just can't see it or something. Thanks though

1 minute ago, SquiddyButler said:

Yep, everything is like that. I don't know what to do. Guess I just can't see it or something. Thanks though

No problem. Tell me if I can help with anything else.

1 minute ago, bungusboy81 said:

Alright, thanks

5 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

Oh wait, https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-C248B-144R-24-Inch-FreeSyncTM-DisplayPort/dp/B07GG8RVXP/ref=asc_df_B07GG8RVXP/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241907595991&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3246488653169816152&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032282&hvtargid=pla-570311912131&psc=1 . That's the monitor i'm using but it's AMD FreeSync and I have an Nvidia card. Could that be why?

Just now, SquiddyButler said:

No that doesn't have anything to do with 144hz. You can use gsync on it anyways if you use a displayport cable, but that's beside the point, that shouldn't be stopping you from using 144hz. What cable are you using to connect your monitor?

Just now, bungusboy81 said:

No that doesn't have anything to do with 144hz. You can use gsync on it anyways if you use a displayport cable, but that's beside the point, that shouldn't be stopping you from using 144hz. What cable are you using to connect your monitor?

Display Port

It's possible you just can't tell the difference. Honestly, I can't for the most part. You won't always feel it anyways. You need really fast movement. One thing you can do is go to https://www.testufo.com/ and play around with the visualizations there. It will help you see the difference. Running 144Hz I can see the difference between that and the simulated 60Hz. Still, unless you primarily play like eSports titles, I don't think it actually matters that much visually.

Now there is a difference for reaction time. Even if you can't visually notice a difference, you're still getting frame updates twice as fast, so you're able to discern movement better, which helps with aim and accuracy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

58 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

there is a 100 procent a noticeable difference between 60 and 144 hz. if you look around in games it feels so much more smooth. 60 hz feels like 30 fps for me now that i am used to 144 hz

4 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

Try looking really closely at the cursor trails  when you move your  mouse around. With 144hz, you should be able to count a lot more  trails when compared to 60hz.

6 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

i can visbibly see a difference btwn 60 and 144hz, anything above 144hz is just subconscious reaction time improvement for me.

mouse curser or side by side movements are most noticeble going from 60 to 144hz.

if you try going from 144 back to 60 and immediately play a shooter, just making a turn is very... "whoa"

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Well, this is really depends on individual. My sister will be nausea if she crank the frame beyond 40 fps, so high refresh rate is not for her. As for me, I'm more sensitive to light and sometimes I get strobing effect (this is more on projectors like cinemas and office), so I can't use 'vari-bright' feature where the screen auto-dim some part when it's displaying dark image and light up when it display bright image. I'm also sensitive to certain colour like red, orange, pink and bright magenta, and turning HDR on makes this colour more apparent. So, depends on your eyes, actually, and also on how your brain respond to the light receptors.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

3 hours ago, overthe6r said:

Not all people can see high refresh rates. Some can only feel them

Personally I wouldn't doubt I can feel them spiritually, I'm so sensitive to framerate drops and spikes as well as high refresh rate.

if u have freesync enabled and ur in game switching between 60hz and 144hz caps and ur FPS is like 58, ur not going to see much of a difference because freesync is keeping the display refresh rate the same as the FPS ur capable of producing.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I've got 144 hz displays recently after using 60 hz display for many years. And I am sure they are connected properly and work in 144 hz. I can see the difference, but only in some specific cases and only if I pay attention to it trying to recognize the difference. So yes, this is something totally personal. There is some difference out there, but it is nothing even close to be game changing or revolutionary for me. It's like.... A bit faster and smoother, but nothing special. Image quality, brightness and contrast impress me much more. However, I can totally see the difference while using Gsync, which is the main reason I've bought 144 hz display. I've had tonns of issues with my games running in 80-100 fps and looking like it's 20 fps. Now it's all gone with gsync. This one really makes a difference for me.

I am not a native English speaker, so I might make some mistakes here and there. I am sorry in advance for that. I do my best to write as good and clean as I can. Cheers!