Fellow Linux Games rejoice! Valve will get EAC working with proton!

Valve just announced their SteamPal project, the handheld gaming pc called the "SteamDeck". It will run Linux. (SteamOS to be precise)

While it is nice to finally see a switch competitor. SteamDeck will undoubtedly help Linux Gaming, since it won't just give light to it but will also finally allow some of the pesky Anti-Cheats to run under proton!

Every single Linux gamer hates EAC because it has stopped us from playing our favourite online games numerous times. Well looks like those times are going to be just a bad memory.
unknown.png

source: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/software

I think the user base for linux would have to increase significantly to make an impact on the idea of gaming with linux as a whole.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I think the user base for linux would have to increase significantly to make an impact on the idea of gaming with linux as a whole.

I mean when I talk with people about switching to Linux the main complaint is gaming. If you want to play an online multiplayer game chances are you can't because the anti-cheats don't work with proton/wine.

Honestly this is the last barrier to be conquered about Linux Gaming. The anti-cheats.

I think more people will be open to try Linux if all their games run just as well as windows.

That doesn't mean that Valve can by itself conquer Anti-Cheats. There is Epic with Fortnite and Riot with Valorant. However I think Valve taking that first step will incentivize its competitors to do the same.

In general I am so happy about Linux Gaming, it keeps getting better year by year. Windows has a monopoly and it needs a competitor, I am optimistic that Linux will one day be that competitor. 

8 minutes ago, Katarok said:

I think more people will be open to try Linux if all their games run just as well as windows.

Well linux has a lot more issues than "can it run games" that keeps the vast majority from using it.

I don't want to hijack your thread or anything with the laundry list but even if one could snap their fingers and make every game instantly compatible it wouldn't change the user base much.

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

Well linux has a lot more issues than "can it run games" that keeps the vast majority from using it.

I don't want to hijack your thread or anything with the laundry list but even if one could snap their fingers and make every game instantly compatible it wouldn't change the user base much.

Feel free to hijack it. I will gladly clear any misconception. 99.999% of those issues have already been solved. Bad blood is still out from when Linux wasn't as viable as a daily drive option.

Linux changes rapidly.

1 minute ago, Katarok said:

Feel free to hijack it. I will gladly clear any misconception.

Honestly it's so much typing that I don't even feel like diving into it lol. whenever i bring these basic points up many say they aren;t an issue even though they are the biggest issues. and it's just not worth killing my sanity arguing with hard headed guys lol.

Just now, emosun said:

Honestly it's so much typing that I don't even feel like diving into it lol. whenever i bring these basic points up many say they aren;t an issue even though they are the biggest issues. and it's just not worth killing my sanity arguing with hard headed guys lol.

We say they aren't an issue because

They aren't an issue.

Linux isn't a single OS. Each distro is different and unique. Like every single problem I have ever heard is someone either taking something from the advanced distros for powerusers like Slackware, Gentoo, Arch etc and projecting to the whole family of OS.

Or someone using any Linux distro, as if it were Windows or MacOS. Just like you can't use MacOS as if it were Windows or Linux and Windows as it were Linux or MacOS, the same applies to Linux.

Literally the only "issues" that come mind is someone needing specific applications in their workflow like the Microsoft Office suite or the Adobe suite which they don't offer Linux clients. While this isn't Linux's fault, it is fair that someone uses an OS that is supported by their apps.

12 minutes ago, Katarok said:

We say they aren't an issue because

They aren't an issue.

Linux isn't a single OS. Each distro is different and unique. Like every single problem I have ever heard is someone either taking something from the advanced distros for powerusers like Slackware, Gentoo, Arch etc and projecting to the whole family of OS.

Or someone using any Linux distro, as if it were Windows or MacOS. Just like you can't use MacOS as if it were Windows or Linux and Windows as it were Linux or MacOS, the same applies to Linux.

Literally the only "issues" that come mind is someone needing specific applications in their workflow like the Microsoft Office suite or the Adobe suite which they don't offer Linux clients. While this isn't Linux's fault, it is fair that someone uses an OS that is supported by their apps.

i think i made the right choice here

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

Whatever, personally I consider myself a pretty open minded person on any topic. Sure I am biased towards linux since it is my daily driver but that doesn't mean I can't engage in conversation.

How can you know that I am a "hard headed guy lol"? We have never engaged in a conversation before. Just because I come from a different side in the argument it doesn't make me a "hard headed guy lol"

Gaming is only part of the equation 

I myself am daily driving linux

in my experience lack of adobe creative suite is the most annoying thing especially Photoshop and as good as krita and gimp are the just don't cut it

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, mahyar said:

in my experience lack of adobe creative suite is the most annoying thing especially Photoshop and as good as krita and gimp are the just don't cut it

Yep Like I said above, the lack of apps you want similar to the lack of games you want is a barrier.

However the majority of users nowdays care more about Gaming than MSOffice or Adobe. So I think that if the Anti-Cheat situation improves more people can switch thus increasing the userbase hopefully incentivizing Adobe to make linux binaries of their suite.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 4:49 PM, mahyar said:

Can your run it with Play on Linux?

On 7/15/2021 at 9:21 PM, emosun said:

On 7/15/2021 at 10:07 PM, emosun said:

Nah, you just can't think of anything

Windows has not less issues than Linux itself

36 minutes ago, Savagebean said:

Can your run it with Play on Linux?

eh

it wont be very good

8 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Windows has not less issues than Linux itself

software compatibility aside 

can you name some of them 

I prefer to think of it like this: "Can developers make it run on GNU+Linux" rather than "Can GNU+Linux run this game?" because - of course it could, if developers were to notice GNU and Linux properly.
One of reasons my first OS wasn't GNU+Linux is - I didn't find about it sooner, otherwise I'd already be a badass developer or admin or something.

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/