Stop JavaScript, Stop Google, Stop 3rd parties. Stop taking the easy way out, please.

ZFSinmylungs

@LogicalDrm
"Thats your problem, not ours. We have rules, and we expect all members to follow them. "I can't because I have turned off X" is lazy excuse, and something I personally won't tolerate. "
It has nothing to do with laziness. I know what it feels like to be lazy, and I'm not that person anymore. This is nowhere near being lazy, this is advocating for privacy and other rights. No need to get fucking angry after I literally fucking apologized, what the fuck else do you want?!?!?

"Forums use pre-made software with customized layout. Out of some 1000-10000 active users, one with issues that they can't solve themselves (like normal browser in VM and VPN etc.) is drop in a bucket."
I see. Now that's what you can actually call "laziness", if you want... because that's what it is - using something pre-made and just a layout placement customization.
I cannot solve myself? I can, I just want people to stop being fucking spied upon, and that also includes yourself, even if you don't care about it... but it's okay, if you want to fight - I won't care about protecting your rights then, but there are still other people. Stop normalizing spying, privacy-breaching, constant surveillance and tracking and god-knows what-not. If everyone was like this at the beginning, the would would actually be a better place, yes. Oh wait... most normies aka normal people are just... like you said.. lazy. That's the meaning of being lazy.
I thought you were some intellect and an example. You just dislike me being the "black duck" in the "white-duck family" and thus attack me in actually stupid and not-at-all impressive ways.
As for the troll part - I am not one, nor want to be one, I do not have time for such nonsense.. but I might have an idea why they would have fun with you... take a brake if you need one.. everyone needs one once in a while. Constant moderation ain't a good thing. It might not be your nor my fault that we're like angry (or something) at each other.. but still - it's happening and I don't think this is what we need... just go watch some tech news xD.
I will think even more next time, before pressing that "submit reply" button, as there ain't no delete button :/.

" A post will take more space than longer post with good ways to make separation. Like simple things, if using quotes is too hard for you. I use

to separate moderating actions

from my personal thoughs when browsing. "
I guess I should do the same for multiple-user replies within a single comment.

##########################
@RejZoR
"Yes, privacy reasons. Especially when I eradicated Google entirely from my life and visiting LTT meant it was pinging Google every time."
Do these two statements (separated by the 'and') oppose each other or is it just me? Seems like you haven't "eradicated Google entirely from my life" bruh :/
What I can recommend.. 2 services I have used for years now: 1. Tor - while the Tor itself is just a network, the same people made the Tor Browser, which is a specially-configured browser made to be reasonably secure while still usable via it's 3 security levels as well as optionally enabling JavaScript per-website. and 2. invidious - it's a privacy-respecting YouTube front-end alternative. What does this mean? - This means that you can view YouTube videos even trough Tor without getting blocked, as well as being able to perfectly surf the website without any JS (account usage not sure - don't use it). It is an freedom software licensed under AGPLv3. Ok I had enough of my knowledge-dump lol. I guarantee you using these two services will disallow Google from following you completely.

If you think I might be a "smart-ass".. I sometimes am, sowwy. I just wanna help as much as other people have helped me in my no-life internet life :/

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/

8 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

No need to get fucking angry after I literally fucking apologized, what the fuck else do you want?!?!?

To use Edit -button like others.
That was one you didn't break, I think.

And I'm not actually angry. Just annoyed that I see triple posts right after telling someone not to do it.

8 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

I see. Now that's what you can actually call "laziness", if you want... because that's what it is - using something pre-made and just a layout placement customization.

You are Web developer then?
You have done forums or other similar platform to audience of tens of thousands? I actually have been on full custom made platform, but scale of audience was much smaller.

Here it has always been max 1 developer with actual experience. So, yes, laziness. Also weighing costs and time against the benefits. None of the people who do something for the forums do it full-time. Most don't get paid.
Jake, the guy whose responsibility are the LMG servers, is the only paid person. And he only kicks the server when it's too bad to handle remotely.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/14/2021 at 7:15 PM, ZFSinmylungs said:

"Far better than you, I think."
You think.

"That's also why I don't care. If you're not doing anything shady, you have nothing to fear, and you have far less privacy protection out in the real world than you do online."
Fear? You think I am afraid? I am not afraid of such actions, I am offended, feeling disrespected. I usually don't use something that disrespects my rights. Linus is an exception, he can have me 😉 (Linus call me) (joking)
More privacy online compared to real world? - exactly! It is possible to archive (very) private existence on the internet, while still using it.. one of reasons I even made this post 🙂

You sound like you're offended by me wanting privacy, who do you think you are? Just because you are a software developer does NOT give you the right to expect people to use proprietary and/or anti-privacy, disrespectful software!
Freedom/Respecting software exists massively already, one of which is GNU+Linux. (Yes I know some Linux distributions use some proprietary drivers (I think) because.. well.. that's what they're forced to, and well.. they possibly back-traced the code, if legally allowed to. And even if they did not - it's still not a part of the kernel so yeah, a GPL license)

So what gives you the right to preach and impose your beliefs onto others and try to push extra and unnecessary work onto the forum team here?

If you don't like something, that's a personal problem and I find it a bit rich that you came here making demands based entirely on your beliefs then start preaching about what rights others have while responding to you.

Are you by any chance one of those sovcit/1st amendment frauditors too?

This is a privately owned and operated forum, you have no right to freedom of speech or privacy here. If you don't like that (which is fine BTW) then you need to leave but before you do, go see a doc and ask him to loosen that tinfoil hat you're wearing, I think its a bit too tight.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

@Vishera

-snip-

So you are an activist,it's all fine and dandy,but you focus on the wrong place,

Focus at the roots and not the leaves,as long as the roots are there new leaves will grow.

20 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

@LogicalDrm
Before I begin.. I want to say that I am apologizing for creating... again... 3 comments instead of like 1/2. I am .. my brain is buzzed from work and everything.. I wanted to delete, but with JS turned off, I cannot see the delete button..

There is no delete button.

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Or often because I doubt there were any CDN's involved. And if they were, they were probably Google's own...

Use Decentraleyes

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

@LogicalDrm
"To use Edit -button like others.
That was one you didn't break, I think. "
You have no idea how worn out I am.. I am thinking impossible stupid lately.. fuck this job.. I need an IT job o.o

" You are Web developer then?"
A developer in general. Although not good in any language - decent in a few, wrote a few (kinda shitty tbh) programs. But them being shitty is because I have mental disabilities, but at least I know how to do stuff and what can and cannot be done, from personal experiences.. I am more of a developer philosopher than a writer also because .. like I mentioned - haven't yet decided on a to-stay language yet, planning to settle either with C or C++. HTML is easy.
For example - just seeing websites have certain features - I can already tell web developers what can and cannot be made possible. Is it easy? Probably not, unless there is a pre-made good captcha solution out there already, 1st party(self-hosted).

" You have done forums or other similar platform to audience of tens of thousands? I actually have been on full custom made platform, but scale of audience was much smaller. "
Your forums aren't the cause of so many people on here, it's Linus and it's passion towards tech and helping other people as well as his team... which ultimately might or might not include moderators :) (why? like you said - you don't listen to single users.. you only listen to brainwashed masses to adding features and stuff instead of logic and "we can so why not - it's better" thing lmao). Again - no offense, this forums is actually good compared to most of forums.. that also require the website's JS.. I just wanted this to be the best it can.. you obviously don't seem to.

" Here it has always been max 1 developer with actual experience. So, yes, laziness. Also weighing costs and time against the benefits. None of the people who do something for the forums do it full-time. Most don't get paid."
Is that 1 developer actually bringing any effort/features to this forum to not be called lazy (maintanence and support team not counting)? Cost versus benefits... again - not everyone is like you.. also why do you need like 10000 people to vote for something? if something is better... then just like do it, if you care about being better, that is.. if not - then just be "okay" for the rest of your life I guess :/ then ask yourself why you aren't happy with your current house or whatever.. effort and passion man.. they make miracles, even in the software world!

" Jake, the guy whose responsibility are the LMG servers, is the only paid person. And he only kicks the server when it's too bad to handle remotely. "
Oh wait I think I know that guy... he's the one that knows stuff about ZFS, right? I love that guy as well as Anthony - my most favorite peeps. He kicks the server? I don't like that kick servers.. no seriously what do you mean by that?

############################################################################

@Master Disaster

" If you don't like something, that's a personal problem and I find it a bit rich that you came here making demands based entirely on your beliefs then start preaching about what rights others have while responding to you. "
You're right.. I guess I was a bit of an asshole.. but I did call it an advice, did I not?
And what do you mean by what rights others have while responding to me? Quote please.

" Are you by any chance one of those sovcit/1st amendment frauditors too? "
Who said I am American?

" This is a privately owned and operated forum, you have no right to freedom of speech or privacy here. If you don't like that (which is fine BTW) then you need to leave but before you do, go see a doc and ask him to loosen that tinfoil hat you're wearing, I think its a bit too tight. "
Leave and what? Most people don't seem to like privacy, but when they are asked why they pull their window curtains on - they seem to be confused... like they do not even know what privacy means.
Freedom of speech? Every human should have that, no matter the laws of what-not, but yeah - I did not come here to make this my own home or something , don't you worry :)

@Vishera

" So you are an activist,it's all fine and dandy,but you focus on the wrong place,

Focus at the roots and not the leaves,as long as the roots are there new leaves will grow."
Wrong place? What am I supposed to do else? My soul hurts to see people throwing away their privacies so much.. because it will also eventually backfire on me as well because the less privacy people demand - the shittier the laws will be. And when they realize this - they will be like "uh-oh" and another great depression will happen, another civil war and again blood-baths, for what?

" There is no delete button. "
Yeah man, the other moderator person pointed that out, thanks.

" Use Decentraleyes "
Yeah man, I replied with "more tools is not always the best", and this is especially true when using the Tor Browser, as they REALLY recommend against them.

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/

24 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

@LogicalDrm
"To use Edit -button like others.
That was one you didn't break, I think. "
You have no idea how worn out I am.. I am thinking impossible stupid lately.. fuck this job.. I need an IT job o.o

" You are Web developer then?"
A developer in general. Although not good in any language - decent in a few, wrote a few (kinda shitty tbh) programs. But them being shitty is because I have mental disabilities, but at least I know how to do stuff and what can and cannot be done, from personal experiences.. I am more of a developer philosopher than a writer also because .. like I mentioned - haven't yet decided on a to-stay language yet, planning to settle either with C or C++. HTML is easy.
For example - just seeing websites have certain features - I can already tell web developers what can and cannot be made possible. Is it easy? Probably not, unless there is a pre-made good captcha solution out there already, 1st party(self-hosted).

" You have done forums or other similar platform to audience of tens of thousands? I actually have been on full custom made platform, but scale of audience was much smaller. "
Your forums aren't the cause of so many people on here, it's Linus and it's passion towards tech and helping other people as well as his team... which ultimately might or might not include moderators 🙂 (why? like you said - you don't listen to single users.. you only listen to brainwashed masses to adding features and stuff instead of logic and "we can so why not - it's better" thing lmao). Again - no offense, this forums is actually good compared to most of forums.. that also require the website's JS.. I just wanted this to be the best it can.. you obviously don't seem to.

" Here it has always been max 1 developer with actual experience. So, yes, laziness. Also weighing costs and time against the benefits. None of the people who do something for the forums do it full-time. Most don't get paid."
Is that 1 developer actually bringing any effort/features to this forum to not be called lazy (maintanence and support team not counting)? Cost versus benefits... again - not everyone is like you.. also why do you need like 10000 people to vote for something? if something is better... then just like do it, if you care about being better, that is.. if not - then just be "okay" for the rest of your life I guess 😕 then ask yourself why you aren't happy with your current house or whatever.. effort and passion man.. they make miracles, even in the software world!

" Jake, the guy whose responsibility are the LMG servers, is the only paid person. And he only kicks the server when it's too bad to handle remotely. "
Oh wait I think I know that guy... he's the one that knows stuff about ZFS, right? I love that guy as well as Anthony - my most favorite peeps. He kicks the server? I don't like that kick servers.. no seriously what do you mean by that?

@Master Disaster

" If you don't like something, that's a personal problem and I find it a bit rich that you came here making demands based entirely on your beliefs then start preaching about what rights others have while responding to you. "
You're right.. I guess I was a bit of an asshole.. but I did call it an advice, did I not?
And what do you mean by what rights others have while responding to me? Quote please.

" Are you by any chance one of those sovcit/1st amendment frauditors too? "
Who said I am American?

" This is a privately owned and operated forum, you have no right to freedom of speech or privacy here. If you don't like that (which is fine BTW) then you need to leave but before you do, go see a doc and ask him to loosen that tinfoil hat you're wearing, I think its a bit too tight. "
Leave and what? Most people don't seem to like privacy, but when they are asked why they pull their window curtains on - they seem to be confused... like they do not even know what privacy means.
Freedom of speech? Every human should have that, no matter the laws of what-not, but yeah - I did not come here to make this my own home or something , don't you worry 🙂

@Vishera

" So you are an activist,it's all fine and dandy,but you focus on the wrong place,

Focus at the roots and not the leaves,as long as the roots are there new leaves will grow."
Wrong place? What am I supposed to do else? My soul hurts to see people throwing away their privacies so much.. because it will also eventually backfire on me as well because the less privacy people demand - the shittier the laws will be. And when they realize this - they will be like "uh-oh" and another great depression will happen, another civil war and again blood-baths, for what?

" There is no delete button. "
Yeah man, the other moderator person pointed that out, thanks.

" Use Decentraleyes "
Yeah man, I replied with "more tools is not always the best", and this is especially true when using the Tor Browser, as they REALLY recommend against them.

@LogicalDrm

That's how you tag someone btw...

While I don't agree with some of the rhetoric or language used or the somewhat large amount of expletives used in this thread, I too would like the forum to make some changes to be more privacy respecting. I'm not gonna get into the philosphical debates or otherwise about privacy but I am very much in favor of more privacy.

Reducing the amount of reliance on Google for this website would be a good move towards enhancing the privacy of LTT forum users. I realize all reliance on Google can't be removed because of the fact that YouTube videos need to be embedded on the side of the forum to provide links to LTT's youtube videos but other things like Google Analytics being replaced with something else more privacy respecting would be much appreciated. I don't know off the top of my head of any good alternatives to Google Analytics which are privacy respecting.

Other things I'm aware of that I know or at least I'm confident can't be fixed by Mortis or the dev teams is the frequency of getting captchas whilst visiting LTT on Tor browser or using Onion over VPN. The issue in that instance lies with Cloudflare which has the same behaviour on other Cloudlfare protected sites. I don't expect this forum to stop using Cloudflare but perhaps mentioning to Cloudflare that this issue exists (although I'm fairly certain they do know it exists) could be helpful.

Other than that just removing trackers would be helpful although I'm sure some of them are tied to the ADs system the forum uses which I'm also aware the forum can't change on short notice or can't change easily or at all without affecting the forum's income and consequently LMG's income.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

@ZFSinmylungs While I totally understand, I would personally advocate to the admins to keep it as-is as far as user tracking.

No offence to anyone, but tracking users on a large forum like this one is essential for it to work without having a lot more moderation to keep things working. I legitimately got multiple death threats from one person that didn't agree with me ... imagine if that person couldn't be tracked and blocked. That's only one exemple, there are people that thrive on watching the world burn and causing chaos just for the laughs. Same goes with DDoS attacks, this forum falls prey to those a lot more than the member might think, and some of the protection relies on stuff you want to see go.

Do I like big data aggregators ? No. But do I want the forum to be void of all type of user tracking ? Why would I ?

Can it be better ? I'm sure it can, yes. But and "all-off" approach isn't the solution IMO ... seems like it's a 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' type of deal.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

For example - just seeing websites have certain features - I can already tell web developers what can and cannot be made possible.

As an *actual* developer that does this stuff for a living, this is probably the most offensive thing you've said yet, honestly. That's the worst type of person to be, the one who doesn't actually know what goes into creating things, but likes to pretend they do. Sorry, but if you don't do this stuff day in and day out, in the trenches, you know exactly jack about what is or is not possible.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

@Chris Pratt
"As an *actual* developer that does this stuff for a living, this is probably the most offensive thing you've said yet, honestly."
Sorry I was too direct there.. I didn't mean for it to be insulting but rather I wanted you to understand how and why I have some of the knowledge ..

"That's the worst type of person to be, the one who doesn't actually know what goes into creating things..."
Hey now, that is not entirely true.
Also one does NOT have to be a developer to help developers.... they don't even have to be testers. One does not need to understand the code to know what something does. Deal with this.

"Sorry, but if you don't do this stuff day in and day out, in the trenches, you know exactly jack about what is or is not possible. "
Possible - like I said - I saw it on other websites already so stop making things up.

3 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

@Chris Pratt
"As an *actual* developer that does this stuff for a living, this is probably the most offensive thing you've said yet, honestly."
Sorry I was too direct there.. I didn't mean for it to be insulting but rather I wanted you to understand how and why I have some of the knowledge ..

"That's the worst type of person to be, the one who doesn't actually know what goes into creating things..."
Also one does NOT have to be a developer to help developers.... they don't even have to be testers. One does not need to understand the code to know what something does. Deal with this.

"Sorry, but if you don't do this stuff day in and day out, in the trenches, you know exactly jack about what is or is not possible. "
Possible - like I said - I saw it on other websites already so stop making things up.

OK, you know there's a feature for tagging and a feature for quoting right?

Anyway, as wkdpaul said, there are reasons for these things to exist. You have valid points but they are there for a reason.

4 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

@Chris Pratt

Is it possible for you to use the tagging or quote features like literally everyone else here? 

What's the point of this argument anyway? If the fact that the LTT forum uses these measures bothers you so much then why are you still here? 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

i wish the internet would stop being so heavily reliant on java junk....

Java has been an issue since win98 honestly

what is java good for?

starting devs to create a cross platform product that bypasses the limitations or the monolopostic actions of an OS.

example Mojangs Minecraft java edition

to see whether they can get consumers interested in a product.

as time goes on though,

everytime there is an added feature or functionality you need more and more ram and faster  CPU's to compensate

example

- Android

- Minecraft 1.16.2 java editon (8gig ram)

quite frankly this then starts to  make devs look either sloppy or lazy take your pick.

apart from trying to make more through system specicfic purchases

maybe thats why microsoft decided to develop Minecraft Bedrock edition

(if you want to run it windows thats purchase 1, run it on linux as well thats purchse 2, run it on andriod purchase 3)

the different engine might allow better use of the graphics card and cpu combination instead of just frying your cpu all the time and bring back a more realistic ram usage count, but i degress

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

@Zanthed sorrry i dont think you really answered my question.

just because its on all those things DOESNT mean its good. thats like saying windows is great just because it has majority desktop use, or linux is used more in servers.

but okay if JavaScript is not Java? then why does it still suffer from java's increasing ram and cpu requirements to make it useful or smooth in a functional way.

in terms of Android 

it started out needing very little ram or hard drive space, as they added extra security, more functionality and more legalised spyware the requirements for a half decent functional Android phone is now anywhere greater than 6gig ram and like desktops multi core cpu's (to run everything smoothly and not always at the same time).

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

12 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

@LogicalDrm

That's how you tag someone btw...

JavaScript is broken on tor so tagging is broken as well.

9 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

@ZFSinmylungs While I totally understand, I would personally advocate to the admins to keep it as-is as far as user tracking.

No offence to anyone, but tracking users on a large forum like this one is essential for it to work without having a lot more moderation to keep things working. I legitimately got multiple death threats from one person that didn't agree with me ... imagine if that person couldn't be tracked and blocked. That's only one exemple, there are people that thrive on watching the world burn and causing chaos just for the laughs. Same goes with DDoS attacks, this forum falls prey to those a lot more than the member might think, and some of the protection relies on stuff you want to see go.

Do I like big data aggregators ? No. But do I want the forum to be void of all type of user tracking ? Why would I ?

Can it be better ? I'm sure it can, yes. But and "all-off" approach isn't the solution IMO ... seems like it's a 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' type of deal.

That's not tracking,that's just storing the IP address for the functionality of the website.

That was a thing since the dawn of the internet,and a necessary one.

13 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

Go to the people in power,make them understand the issue and act (Like Louis Rossmann and the right to repair),or you can join the EFF in their fight for privacy on the internet.

13 hours ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

" Use Decentraleyes "

It depends on the situation,

As long as what trackers see is ordinary and blends in with the average Joe it's all fine and dandy.

Do trackers check what CDNs i use? - Not that i heard of.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

11 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

OK, you know there's a feature for tagging and a feature for quoting right?

Anyway, as wkdpaul said, there are reasons for these things to exist. You have valid points but they are there for a reason.

Like said, he has disabled JavaScript which is base for most UI elements. And he seems to be too lazy to setup "secure" system to use forums like normal people.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

As an *actual* developer that does this stuff for a living, this is probably the most offensive thing you've said yet, honestly. That's the worst type of person to be, the one who doesn't actually know what goes into creating things, but likes to pretend they do. Sorry, but if you don't do this stuff day in and day out, in the trenches, you know exactly jack about what is or is not possible.

Its called the Dunning Kruger effect, essentially it postulates that the more you know about a topic the less confident and arrogant you become about it. Essentially the people screaming about what should and should not be happening are the people that know the least about the subject and the people whose opinions should be ignored.

923px-Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_Effect_01.s

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If I haven't replied to other comments it's either because they have been already replied/answered by me on this post or because well.. it takes me like half a hour to write like 2 replies, let alone 6.. so yeah.. time and priorities.

@Zanthed
I'll answer to you because you seem like an open-minded person I guess.

"Matrix's official homeserver uses reCAPTCHA as well. Do you know what it's used for? To combat abuse and nothing more."
I know what's it used for. And I also know who Google is and what they can do.

"This forum has a Privacy Policy you agreed to. It's clear you have not read it."
Dammit you got me on this one. Let's do it quickly:
" We use Google Analytics to help us analyse the use of our services, so that we can make them better. This information is stored in accordance with Google’s Privacy Policy. You can opt out of tracking by Google Analytics by installing their opt-out browser add-on."
Anything that's right-disrespecting should be opt-in, not opt-out for convenience reasons as well as well.. not all people understand what's happening "under the hood" so they might not understand what the button "opt-out" would even do.

"To protect against spam, we may use Google’s reCAPTCHA to check whether you are a bot. Google may store cookies and usage data, in accordance with their Privacy Policy. "
Like I said - smarter and better ways to check if someone is or is not a bot. Again - "Google may store".. it's like LTT promotes proprietary spyware and less privacy... oh wait.. they do... how? I already said in the history, read it if you are interested, don't make me write it twice - I won't.

"As far as I can tell, you have not given us an actual solution."
Read the above answer..
twice.
"All you have stated summed up is "we need to remove JavaScript because it violates my privacy and rights". This is interesting considering the majority of the public facing website uses JavaScript for many things both on the front end and back end. However, we need your possible solution to solve this "problem".
Not really - while I did not contribute with code, I did with a decent theory about how to do it/how it would work.
Is this forum even on some git hub(not GitHub specifically)?

"Developers cannot just "whip something up in 3 2 1" like you have essentially claimed. Cookies cannot be made with pure HTML5 only, which is what you're wanting: pure HTML5 and CSS only on a forum."
It seems like something similar has been already done lol.. I am a developer, I know shit can take time. Simple bugs sometimes take days to figure out.. an in the end it can just be fucking grammar :'D

"So unless you have a special solution to give us, there is nothing that can be done. There will always be a necessity for some sort of telemetry or tracking to combat abuse, improve the product, what ever the case may be."
Read I guess.. then you'll see what can be done.
A necessity? Hahahaha abuse? Little child, learn to be more ignorant to insults, so you won't need people TRACKED to feel better/less bad. Or in other words - grow up, make your mind stronger, not other's privacy.

#################################################################

@cretsiah
(about Java/JavaScript)
"... quite frankly this then starts to make devs look either sloppy or lazy take your pick.

apart from trying to make more through system specicfic purchases "

Java != JavaScript.. but I still agree.. it's the same with Python - what's the point of "getting into learning programming" if 1. it's super slow and more-less useless and 2. they might get discouraged when they want to face a real language.

"just because its on all those things DOESNT mean its good. thats like saying windows is great just because it has majority desktop use, or linux is used more in servers. '
100% true. Just because something is used... even A LOT - it can mean jack shit lmao. Microsoft Windows is a huuuuuuuuge example.
"Linux is more used in servers" - exactly lol so foolish. Linux is more used on servers because most people that used GNU+Linux until a few years ago were some sort of developers/admins.. and guess what - they then went into some branch of admin such as system administrator, network administrator or whatever jobs exist lol I'm not an expert in admin fields.

@Vishera
" JavaScript is broken on tor so tagging is broken as well. "
Thanks you - I said this already, but a lot of people seem they cannot be bothered to read the history aka the FOUNDATION OF THIS CONVERSATION. True laziness right here.

" Go to the people in power,make them understand the issue and act (Like Louis Rossmann and the right to repair),or you can join the EFF in their fight for privacy on the internet. "
Oh right I do keep on seeing the thumbnails of Lois Rossmann and the titles.. from YouTube, but not on ShitTube.
While I might be able to help.. guess what - I'm a computer cave-man more-less, not a people's person.. so I guess I wouldn't be too much of help there ;( so sorry

@LogicalDrm

" Like said, he has disabled JavaScript which is base for most UI elements. And he seems to be too lazy to setup "secure" system to use forums like normal people. "
"Like said" - yup. What do you mean "secure" system(not asking about the quoting)? Whonix? Yeah - I can do it. Should I be bothered? Not really.. A community is where people can help each other, it shouldn't be a one-way "street". Exchanging knowledge. You people keep on acting like you're gods and anyone that dislikes you can like fuck off and die or something like that.. Like fuck is wrong with you? Even you, LogicalDrm? Are you a Linus consoomer and a fanboy or something? We are all just peoples, for fuck sake, stop acting like "accept or leave".. tf

@Master Disaster
"Its called the Dunning Kruger effect, essentially it postulates that the more you know about a topic the less confident and arrogant you become about it..."
Exactly.
No one knows everything, not even people such as the fukkin' loving Linus Torvalds himself.

"Essentially the people screaming about what should and should not be happening are the people that know the least about the subject and the people whose opinions should be ignored. "
Ok hater

25 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

" Like said, he has disabled JavaScript which is base for most UI elements. And he seems to be too lazy to setup "secure" system to use forums like normal people. "
"Like said" - yup. What do you mean "secure" system(not asking about the quoting)? Whonix? Yeah - I can do it. Should I be bothered? Not really..

VM+VPN or something similar other privacy freaks scream about.

You people keep on acting like you're gods and anyone that dislikes you can like fuck off and die or something like that..

I would advice buying a mirror. You are starting to reuse arguments and sound like every other person who joins and thinks rules don't apply to them.
Not saying you are one, but your arguments are really similar.

Like fuck is wrong with you? Even you, LogicalDrm? Are you a Linus consoomer and a fanboy or something? We are all just peoples, for fuck sake, stop acting like "accept or leave".. tf

Am I a fanboy of Linus? Not really. I do appreciate many things he has done and achieved. And I have criticised heavily on the things I disagree with him. Same goes for this forum. I've publicly stated what is the condition of me staying here. I do voice my opinion on changes and suggestions, both publicly and internally when we are discussing on rule changes and such.

You are free to give your opinion and suggestions for changes. But this forum operates with two principles; community's wishes and practicality vs work required on dev side. Meaning that if community has strong support on something, it is more likely to happen. But it will still be pitted against practicality in developing or moderation standpoint, and how much effort by developer it would take to achieve.

So looking this thread.
You have maybe 10-15 members voicing their thoughts. Of those maybe two in agreement. So in that sense, community isn't on your side. Unless what you are suggesting is easy to implement, it's unlikely to ever happen.

E: Also seeing the language you have started to use, I would advise reading our rules. Using words like "fanboy" and "hater" are not very mature ways to address criticism. I personally care very little what others think of me or my opinions. But others are not as seasoned.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

@LogicalDrm

"Like said" - yup. What do you mean "secure" system(not asking about the quoting)? Whonix? Yeah - I can do it. Should I be bothered? Not really.. A community is where people can help each other, it shouldn't be a one-way "street". Exchanging knowledge. You people keep on acting like you're gods and anyone that dislikes you can like fuck off and die or something like that.. Like fuck is wrong with you? Even you, LogicalDrm? Are you a Linus consoomer and a fanboy or something? We are all just peoples, for fuck sake, stop acting like "accept or leave".. tf

That's disrespectful,

You should adapt to reality,and not expect reality to adapt to you.

52 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

VM+VPN or something similar other privacy freaks scream about.

I consider myself a privacy freak...

And those two are not good enough.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

I consider myself a privacy freak...

And those two are not good enough.

Yet you haven't disabled JavaScript in order to prevent Google from spying you? So there has to be way somewhere between allowing Lord Zuckerberg from reading our minds and destroying working UI on everything you wish to use.

/s on some of the above obviously.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yet you haven't disabled JavaScript in order to prevent Google from spying you? So there has to be way somewhere between allowing Lord Zuckerberg from reading our minds and destroying working UI on everything you wish to use.

/s on some of the above obviously.

I use a script blocker that selectively blocks scripts based on a white list/black list that is updated automatically.

Here are some scripts that my script blocker blocks on the forums: