DON’T buy a new PC for Windows 11!

Windows 11 has generated a lot of buzz, but not all of it has been positive. Many people think they’ll be left behind, but is that really true?

Windows 11: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-11
UUPDump: https://uupdump.net/

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

i have the latest hardware, and im not even gonna switch

i would've used linux mint in the 1st place though if i could have

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

Here's to hoping that I can run Win11 on my i7-4790.

I'm sure they'll find some ridiculous way around it, not like Microsoft cares.

1 minute ago, wavem2 said:

you can't, they are restricting windows 11 to intels 8th gen or higher

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

1 minute ago, wavem2 said:

Same, I use a 9 year old workstation with 9 year old hardware (so no TPM, secure boot and doesn't meet the CPU reqs even though the CPUs are quite capable) so I hope there's some way around it...

Just now, King of Memes said:

So far.

This is very likely to have some wiggle room, if not officially, than someone will work around it.

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Same, I use a 9 year old workstation with 9 year old hardware (so no TPM, secure boot and doesn't meet the CPU reqs even though the CPUs are quite capable) so I hope there's some way around it...

I still can't believe they won't let people with older hardware do it. I remember LTT saying they got it running just fine on an EARLY C2D. Windows 10 had requirements for CPUs, I think it was technically Broadwell or newer, but it wouldn't actually stop you from using the OS without a newer CPU.

Everyone can see the BS claims of "bad performance" from a mile away, something like a Haswell/Ivy Bridge i7 would still take a newer Celeron out back behind the shed with a shotgun, so not sure how that's gonna go down.

6 minutes ago, King of Memes said:

Literally watch the video

2 minutes ago, wavem2 said:

I still can't believe they won't let people with older hardware do it. I remember LTT saying they got it running just fine on an EARLY C2D. Windows 10 had requirements for CPUs, I think it was technically Broadwell or newer, but it wouldn't actually stop you from using the OS without a newer CPU.

Everyone can see the BS claims of "bad performance" from a mile away, something like a Haswell/Ivy Bridge i7 would still take a newer Celeron out back behind the shed with a shotgun, so not sure how that's gonna go down.

Yeah, as long as you're not talking about efficiency my dual socket 8/16 CPUs absolutely destroy even a 12 core Ryzen. Core clock is the only thing that holds them back. However, Microsoft will make more money selling new PCs with Windows 11 so I think that's partially why they did it.

Around the 32 minute mark he gets it somewhat booted into Win10 and it somewhat works. So yeah. And also I have a C2D system and it runs Windows 10 OK ish, the GeForce 9400 iGPU is the major holdup.

Thanks for the guide guys, downloading it now 👍

I'm inheriting an old Haswell laptop next week, so I'm planning on installing on that

EDIT: The ISO download and build took 15m 31s.

image.png.910c4e6e565142f532b38cb6364aec67.png

🙂

I have here at work, an Optiplex XE2.

i5-4770s (4c/8t) 16GB DDR3L RAM, 500GB 7200 rpm Seagate.

The latest BIOS offers UEFI, and secure boot and TPM. I turned all that on.

Installed the Dev build that's floating around. No issues installing. No warnings, seems nice enough for a win10 skin.

I have zero intentions of installing it on any of my systems, (windows 9 ftw!) but I did want to showcase the CPU requirements are probably bogus.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

If microsoft officially commit to supporting my cpu (i7-6700), can i just opt out of preview, and re-install it using "official" way?

I'm trying to switch from legacy to UEFI, but if i type in mbr2gpt /validate, i get an error "Cannot find OS partition(s) for disk 0

What can i do about this?

Edit: It knows that the disc sector size is 512 bytes,

and the window is called Administrator X:\ windows\system32\cmd.exe

Doesn't seem like you need secure boot to run Windows 11. At least it runs just fine without it on my machine.
Or maybe I missed something during the video. I'm slightly drunk.

The thing that annoys me is that specifically for the average user that use Home editions, they went from "F-you no bitlocker for you bro!" to "You HAVE to have bitlocker, F-you if you don't want it!"

Yes, Bitlocker is NOT a feature in windows 10 home: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-home-with-bitlocker/2a4ecf28-20c7-499e-ba9e-cf3f00b3f7df

It has existed for YEARS but Vista and 7 only had it in their Ultimate or Enterprise editions, anything lower just didn't have bitlocker.

W7 pro just didn't have it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/199092/bitlocker-on-windows-7-pro.html

They actively took Bitlocker away from the Home market and now suddenly we all HAVE to get it. (unless you go through the hoops in the video, that might not work in the future)

This is a non-issue for the Enterprise market which proves that it could have been different but NOPE, they kept the feature away from home users FOR NO REASON and now we have this mess.

I'm just surprised that everybody yells bitlocker is good but forgets that home users can't even get it right now, which partially explains why home users are so unprepared for this.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

TLDR, this is a nifty hack work-around to get Windows 11 dev to work on older hardware, but not guaranteed to work on final release.

Being that VBS (HVCI) is a core part of security, it stand to reason that MS would prefer this function done in hardware with the MBEC (Intel) or GMET (AMD) instruction set; hence the minimum CPU requirements (8th gen and Zen+).

Rumor has it that 7 gen will be included because it supports MBEC, but I'm not sure of prior Ryzen CPUs. Last I checked, those didn't support GMET.

Edited by StDragon

So, if Microsoft is going to drop a new driver platform that requires new drivers, will Windows 11 then be that X thousand legacy drivers smaller Windows as it cannot/doesn't need to support all printers since the dawn of the MS-DOS or do we still get to enjoy the possibility to use matrix printers from the 80's with Windows 11?

That is the problem with me and Windows 11s still debatable hardware requirements. If they require us to upgrade from "legacy" hardware, can they also stop shoveling legacy crap into Windows? If answer is no and I need to even once more dig out SoundBlaster Z drivers because Windows decided that it was Recon3D because some bit somewhere went sideways, I will murder Windows 11 from my PC and hopefully never look back. If after updating my 1st gen Ryzen (which still is pretty much good CPU for me) to run released Windows 11 and I still can also stick my now 15 years old Logitech joystick and it just works and Windows 11 is just completely fine using it and recognizing it and all because security systems I will never use (BitLocker? Seriously? You dare to even call that encryption? You could just as well put a file on your drive that says "You cannot read this drive" and leave it to that. I don't even know can I even ask has anyone still yet even audited BitLocker for simple backdoors because probably still no one, apart from 3 letter organizations, have seen it's source code. Excuse my French, fucking BitGarbage, almost as good as Master Locks).

10 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

So, if Microsoft is going to drop a new driver platform that requires new drivers, will Windows 11 then be that X thousand legacy drivers smaller Windows as it cannot/doesn't need to support all printers since the dawn of the MS-DOS or do we still get to enjoy the possibility to use matrix printers from the 80's with Windows 11?

That is the problem with me and Windows 11s still debatable hardware requirements. If they require us to upgrade from "legacy" hardware, can they also stop shoveling legacy crap into Windows? If answer is no and I need to even once more dig out SoundBlaster Z drivers because Windows decided that it was Recon3D because some bit somewhere went sideways, I will murder Windows 11 from my PC and hopefully never look back. If after updating my 1st gen Ryzen (which still is pretty much good CPU for me) to run released Windows 11 and I still can also stick my now 15 years old Logitech joystick and it just works and Windows 11 is just completely fine using it and recognizing it and all because security systems I will never use (BitLocker? Seriously? You dare to even call that encryption? You could just as well put a file on your drive that says "You cannot read this drive" and leave it to that. I don't even know can I even ask has anyone still yet even audited BitLocker for simple backdoors because probably still no one, apart from 3 letter organizations, have seen it's source code. Excuse my French, fucking BitGarbage, almost as good as Master Locks).

To my knowledge, BitLocker isn't a requirement. The TPM is, and BitLocker requires it. But the TPM is also used for other things too.

That said, if you have a laptop, it would be foolish to not use BitLocker. Nothing is worse than having both a laptop stolen and the data falling into the wrong hands. At least with BitLocker, you only have to worry about loss of the monetary value of the HW.

12 minutes ago, StDragon said:

TLDR, this is a nifty hack work-around to get Windows 11 dev to work on older hardware, but not guaranteed to work on final release.

Being that VBS (HVCI) is a core part of security, it stand to reason that MS would prefer this function done in hardware with the MBEC (Intel) or GMET (AMD) instruction set; hence the minimum CPU requirements (8th gen and Zen+).

Rumor has it that 7 gen will be included because it supports MBEC, but I'm not sure of prior Ryzen CPUs. Last I checked, those didn't support GMET.

These features are primarily for acceleration, HVCI still works without them.

8 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

These features are primarily for acceleration, HVCI still works without them.

Correct. But there is a performance penalty if HVCI is emulated.

"Because it makes use of Mode Based Execution Control, HVCI works better with Intel Kaby Lake or AMD Zen 2 CPUs and newer. Processors without MBEC will rely on an emulation of this feature, called Restricted User Mode, which has a bigger impact on performance." -Microsoft

Shoutout to @LAwLz for tracking this down.

Edited by StDragon

Every time I try to enable secure boot windows decides that it doesn't want to start up. My BIOS mode is in UEFI and I've tried almost every combination of related settings to get it working but I think that I may be missing something. I have my (built in) TPM enabled and that works fine but secure boot just stops it from working every time. I know it's not required for anything but it seems like something that would be nice to have. Anyone have any ideas about why it wouldn't be working?

I just need to know where I can buy the TPM chip for an ASUS Z97 DELUXE NFC motherboard? The rest of it, I have gone through and done. Currently downloading the ISO file as a just in case if something goes south. 

My suggestion is to put a backup copy of your Windows 10 on a USB or disc. That way it can be slipstreamed without worries. I'm not sure how to do this for Win10, I've done from XP to Windows 7. After Win 7 i stopped making slipstreamed discs/usb installs. 

So yea, just need an ASUS tpm chip for an intel motherboard. 

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon