Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Police in Ukraine have made a large bust of a cryptomining operation stealing $259,300/mo in electricity.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:56 AM, ArdaBarda said:

How are they even mining btc on ps4's?

You can't. Mining crypto currencies ≠ mining bitcoin.

A crypto mining farm that uses something else than ASICs isn't mining BTC.

1 hour ago, helloooooooooooo said:

would it be profitlble if you had to pay for electricity lol 

As pointed out in a few replies above, this wasn't a mining operation.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 512GB SU800 SSD Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

You can't. Mining crypto currencies ≠ mining bitcoin.

A crypto mining farm that uses something else than ASICs isn't mining BTC.

As pointed out in a few replies above, this wasn't a mining operation.

Well you theoretically CAN mint BTC without an ASIC, you just won’t make any money doing it.  This group because of their whole electricity theft thing could for all I know have been mining BTC and making money because their electricity was “free”. I get the impression from the thread they were doing something else though I’m not sure what.  Doesn’t matter.  They got taken down.

You are very correct though that while BTC is A cryptocoin it is by no means the only one mined.  And it behaves differently than newer coins because is suspect partially because of its comparatively primitive origins.  

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, helloooooooooooo said:

would it be profitlble if you had to pay for electricity lol 

They use a bassically a rx480 in a ps4 pro, normal PS4 is worsebut aslong as you can get more than 4gb vram probably.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I fail to understand how they can farm FIFA currency. Do they need 3800 players? Or are all those 3800 PS4's highly trained AI to simulate? EA can simply fuck off lol, they'll earn the loss back anyway. Scums gotta be scummed.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well you theoretically CAN mint BTC without an ASIC, you just won’t make any money doing it.  This group because of their whole electricity theft thing could for all I know have been mining BTC and making money because their electricity was “free”. I get the impression from the thread they were doing something else though I’m not sure what.  Doesn’t matter.  They got taken down.

You are very correct though that while BTC is A cryptocoin it is by no means the only one mined.  And it behaves differently than newer coins because is suspect partially because of its comparatively primitive origins.  

It want a mining far tho, they couldn't have been mining anything.
It was a FIFA bot farm

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Seems like you missed part of my reply ; It wasn't a mining farm.

😉

VPN server guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 512GB SU800 SSD Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

😉

The part seen in the photos appears to be a FIFA bot farm. The 500 GPU's aren't shown in the photos, so we have no context for how they were used.

The SBU noted that they did also find 500 video cards, 50 processors, draft documentation on electricity consumption, notebooks, phones, flash drives and more, hinting that while there may have been some cryptocurrency mining, this farm was still mostly about FIFA.

That's still a notable amount considering that smugglers in china have been caught with less.

Since this is all second-hand information, all we really know is that the Ukraine operation was stealing electricity, which is illegal and the reason for the bust, using PS4's which is evident from the photos, and everything else is information gleamed off the original press release. In this forum we actually pointed out the game discs in the PS4's, but no connection to FIFA bot farm was made here. That had to be made by someone who actually had contact with the Ukraine sources.

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

😉

Might be.  I it seems they were doing some mining but also something else I don’t really understand.  I was merely pointing out the technical aspects of the concept of the difference between Bitoin in specific vs cryptocoin as a class.  The issue in that post was the use of the word Bitcoin in specific to mean cryptocoin in general.  I was merely attempting to help clarify the point.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

i like this one:

mining rigs destroyed

Those are ASIC miners.  I don’t recognize the language or even the vehicle maker. I don’t know where this is from.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Those are ASIC miners.  I don’t recognize the language or even the vehicle maker. I don’t know where this is from.

supposedly it's a piece of news from malaysia.

43 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Malaysia, it's from Miri, which is east Malaysia

They were stealing $2M worth of electricity in 3 months, which made them illegal

Crypto mining itself is not illegal in Malaysia, our national bank even regulate one of the crypto exchanges

My PCs: Desky | Beddie | Miney | Benchie

Things I need help with: (nothing at the moment)

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

Malaysia, it's from Miri, which is east Malaysia

They were stealing $2M worth of electricity in 3 months, which made them illegal

Crypto mining itself is not illegal in Malaysia, our national bank even regulate one of the crypto exchanges

how easy is it to steal electricity without being found out? especially when it's a mining farm, how stupid are these people.....

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Those are Antminers I believe. Such a waste. It's like crushing a perfectly good car to prove a point.

At any rate, it's pretty stupid to steal electricity, the pot farmers have been doing it for years, and they're always found. You can't just hide a hot building at night.

5 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Illegal PS4 Crypto Mine Might Have Farmed FIFA Ultimate Team Points (vice.com)

looks like EA just created a new economy. 

Exactly, they had mining rigs, but the PS4s weren't mining. Those badly written articles jumping on the crypto-hate train are creating tons of confusions.

They were shutdown for stealing electricity, same as the Malaysian ASICs farm ... they weren't "busted" for the mining activities.

VPN server guide

Spoiler

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Exactly, they had mining rigs, but the PS4s weren't mining. Those badly written articles jumping on the crypto-hate train are creating tons of confusions.

They were shutdown for stealing electricity, same as the Malaysian ASICs farm ... they weren't "busted" for the mining activities.

Although SBU sources reportedly shared this information with Delo.ua, both the SBU and regional electricity provider JSC Vinnytsiaoblenergo would not officially confirm such details with the publication. 

It's all speculation still. Not that it matters. "Big thing with large number shut down for electricity theft" who cares if it was bitcoin, bot farming, or drug operations. They're shutdown and no longer stealing electricity.