Your Ryzen laptop is (probably) throttled quite heavily when on battery - and it's (probably?) not a huge deal

D13H4RD
10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

This could expain why my Ryzen 2500U was skipping sound and desync video in MPC-HC when I tried watching on battery... As soon as it was plugged, all was fine.

With my rog lap I reinstalled Windows 10 but to pro cause I thought something was messing up lol did get rid of bloat though and didn't reinstall many of the rog stuff too

Then found ryzen controller to be very useful also 

For a Ryzen 2k and 4k mobile owner this is not even close to surprising. Its always been like this to conserve battery. If it has to it will burst hard but will stay in the low 1 Ghz range to preserve battery life 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

On 7/13/2021 at 6:01 PM, Justaphysicsnerd said:

I mean I bought an HP omen 15 just a few weeks before CES, it has a 5600H and a 1660Ti. And It is one of the best machines out there as it has both the power and the battery life (I got 9-10 hours on regular usage which is pretty good). The Intel laptops which have a D-GPU like a 60series or higher card don't have the battery life when even using the integrated GPU, in fact at the time I bought it. The Intel i7-1085something something was on sale for the same price but since it runs much hotter and doesn't have decent battery life I didn't buy it. The average AMD buyer buys the machine for the efficiency and power not just power

10 hours on that machine is pretty good. I average around 7-8 on my 1135G7-equipped machine, likely due to the smaller 50Wh battery. 

This figure was attainable if I put a muzzle on the processor so that it didn't go ham on the turbo through the use of a power saver plan. In balanced mode, I got closer to 5 hours. 

If AMD had let the processor run in a similar way to my 1135G7 on balanced, the battery life differences would probably even out. Because they didn't, they were able to squeeze extra hours out of the battery, even though performance was sacrificed as a result, but in terms of perceived performance, the difference shouldn't be noticeable. I certainly didn't have much issues using my muzzled 1135G7 for normal use. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Honestly I feel that AMD has the better approach to this in terms of how the vast majority of people would want and expect their laptop to function. If I want to play games or do heavy workloads, I'm going to plug in. If I'm on battery, I probably won't be doing much more than browsing the web or typing up a document. Frankly, I thought that all laptops operated like that, before Intel started pointing fingers at AMD for doing something obvious. Even my tech-illiterate family plugs in their laptop if they want to do anything intensive.

I guess you could say that phones operate in an opposite manner, running faster when on battery, but that's for a different reason. If a phone is charging its battery and running at maximum power, it's going to heat up very quickly to the point where it might even become too hot to touch. But laptops operate differently, and that thermal argument is generally irrelevant because you don't hold your laptop by the battery.

6 hours ago, GalacticRuler said:

Honestly I feel that AMD has the better approach to this in terms of how the vast majority of people would want and expect their laptop to function. If I want to play games or do heavy workloads, I'm going to plug in. If I'm on battery, I probably won't be doing much more than browsing the web or typing up a document. Frankly, I thought that all laptops operated like that, before Intel started pointing fingers at AMD for doing something obvious. Even my tech-illiterate family plugs in their laptop if they want to do anything intensive.

Yep, that's the way it usually has been. 

Though I will admit, having a laptop that largely maintains its performance off the charger has been nice for photo-editing on the go, especially in places where charge points aren't easy to come by, but I also understand that my usecase is quite specific. 

For what it's worth, I don't think Intel's approach is any more or less "wrong", or "correct". It's just different, so they really shouldn't claim superiority, especially if they have to sacrifice runtime for it. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

26 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Yep, that's the way it usually has been. 

Though I will admit, having a laptop that largely maintains its performance off the charger has been nice for photo-editing on the go, especially in places where charge points aren't easy to come by, but I also understand that my usecase is quite specific. 

For what it's worth, I don't think Intel's approach is any more or less "wrong", or "correct". It's just different, so they really shouldn't claim superiority, especially if they have to sacrifice runtime for it. 

Yeah, I'm not trying to say that Intel's approach is "wrong," more pointing out that Intel's tactics in singling out AMD for their approach is really just underhanded, especially when a larger portion of laptop users benefit from the latter's approach.