How many of you have moved on from PC gaming?

Roswell

Have you moved on from PC gaming?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Have you moved on from PC gaming?

• Yes
    • No
    • I was never into PC gaming

I somewhat have, yet not at the same time.

I hardly ever play any games these days. But when I do, it's still on PC.

Spoiler

The last time I played something, was on June 27, for a few minutes of Dying Light just to see if I remembered how to play it and whether or not it was worth buying the DLC for it... I didn't and it wasn't.
Before that, it was in May, bought and played the Master Chief collection with a friend. We finished it the stories on Normal and that was it.

Played a bit of Stardew Valley in April.... Terraria in October of 2020... FF15 in April of 2020...

Basically, I can go weeks, months, without playing a single game. Is this the same as "having moved on" ? I don't know. There's just no games that interest me anymore. I feel like I've become what I hated most, a filthy casual who only use their computers for videos, reading and socializing on forums like here. I actually wasted 5 hours of my time, in a single day, on Tiktok of all things two weeks ago after finally caving in and installing the app and I felt sick with myself... Then I went back to checking other tiktok videos.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't play new shit on PC anymore because even before the ridiculous gpu price hikes from ether mining it was still pretty poor value compared to the current gen consoles at $500. I have pretty much gone back and forth between console and PC for decades though. In the early to mid 80s DOS was better than Atari, early 90s went with SNES, by the mid to late 90s went back to DOS/Windows because its shooters were so much better than what was on console, stuck with PC in the early 2000s because the GTA games looked so much better on it than PS2. Jumped to XBox 360 in the mid 2000s because it offered so much value vs PC, especially after my PC I built a couple of years before at the tail end of the single core era aged like milk. Jumped back on PC in 2014 because the GTX 970 made PC price to performance awesome again, but the gpu price creep since then has turned me off towards building another gaming PC any time soon.

been on and off, but i'm much more of a story-gamer than a esports-gamer. i love games like fallout, horizon zero dawn and other games that basically just go "here's a massive open world, now go explore."

I'm honestly starting to shift away from it. A lot of it (more than I care to admit, honestly) just has to do with the fact that I'm an achievement whore and like having as many of my games on the ol' Xbox as possible. But as time has gone on I've just started to get moderately sick of how PCs can be a bit retarded (the other month I made a drive which was in an external enclosure become internal and Windows dicked up the other drive with a solid 1.2TB of games on it). I'm still gonna keep the PC around for PC-only games as well as things that make more sense on it (like Insurgency or GTA V) AND the Xbox crossplay/crossbuy games, but outside of that... I'm really questioning my planned next build and if I really wanna go with an xx80 class card now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Both myself and my wife are still gamers.  I don't have much time for it, but when I get the chance I do sit and play.  We both pretty much gave up MMORPG stuff due to time constraints.  I tend to play single player RPGs andy wife loves her VR stuff.  We do have every console going back to the Atari 2600  and still play those on and old projection screen tv.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I simply lost interest. 

Mind you, I was never a monster gamer anyway, and as of late, played only Armoured Warfare and Minecraft, both of which I'm just over. I've done what I wanted to do in those games, and they no longer hold much appeal for me.

So, off to do other things.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I sold my ps4 and moved from console gaming to pc, so i guess no? 

And i get why someone would lose interest in gaming but i played all my life - with some occasional breaks here and there - and i specifically moved to pc for modding and emulation… so if anything  that sparked my interest, theres so much u can do with mods, "Doom guy in Monster Hunter" for example  (and yes, you have to hunt him lol) and while i have zero talent for "coding" i could see me making mods occasionally, i actually made a few already, somehow!

But yeah, "traditional" gaming bores me to death, i have a very specific taste, and thankfully those games are still made (not even a specific genre tbh, it can be any genre as long the game style is there)

9 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I gave up waiting for HL3. Instead some BsGo came out. Sorry I mean CsGo. Lol my bad... 

Have been into mostly competitive overclocking and extreme cooling modifications. 

Some F@H threw the years on various teams as well.

But hey, as long as we all compute in some way, we are all techies!!

But thats kinda curious, why this specific kind of games? (looks like fps shooters, and Valve?) have you never tried another type of game, hack and slash (so called "3rd person  action games" ala Devil May Cry, not musou) fighting games (tbh those hooked me for a long time, still playing, since Tekken 1 basically, actually Battle Arena Toshinden…) Tomb Raider games (new and old)  or more obscure stuff like Va11hallA, which is absolutely incredible , considering the genre… etc, I guess? Really just curious, because these shooter type games seem like a one way street, play em for a few years and what then, theres no progression (literally, see Doom) 

I played James Bond on N64, thats all fps shooters would ever need to be, cannot be topped = )

Honorable mention: the very first Medal Of Honor, incredible game… 

PS: i get that overclocking is fun, but if I did that* i would like to see the results in action too, like car tuning (those guys *do* drive their cars, sometimes, nay?)

*actually thats what i do, overclock my stuff for a day or so and then play for weeks on end 😄

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I cant really vote yes or no.

I cant say i've moved on because i still want to game. The problem is for over 10 years now i've found myself unable to really find many games that pull me in like the games of old did, and over the years i've concluded its simply down to the shift in the average game design and genre.

If interested in more specifics, read on.

Spoiler

One major thing outside of the actual game itself that immediately puts me of from a game is paid DLC and MTX, if a game has to much DLC and to high a price for to small an addition, or has any sizable MTX shop , i wont touch it. Multiple reasons why but not least of which is principals.

So some examples.

• The Surge 2 - Great game series , love the gameplay, but the DLC is to small, there are to many, and they cost to much. I wont get the game.
  • Path of Exile - a F2P game that i'd love to put some money into, but the MTX store is the reason behind Stash limits and limits on effective ingame trading. The cost of opening up the stash to a comfortable amount along with its trading features is more than a AAA games full MSRP. The fact that stash is pay walled despite a huge cosmetics section in the MTX shop immediately puts me of from putting any money into the game and thus with the limits that puts on the F2P experience, i dont play it.
  • Warframe - I actually enjoyed the game when i 1st tried it out, but the further i got into the game the more and more Time Gates started popping up with the only way to avoid them was to use premium currency, currency that while tradable in game, requires said currency to make said currency (in game trading, playing the market etc). it became clearer and clearer that the gameplay was designed around the monetization model instead of the other way around. Eventually it became to much of an issue and I never got to fully enjoy the game.

As for game design, 1 of many other smaller nuanced issues that result in me finding fewer games that i like is the implementation of so called 'achievements'. Half are nothing more than check points of game progression (which are ignorable ofc), the other half amount to nothing more than time sinks to pad out game time. This instead of actual content being put into a game.

Another issues, Fluff over content. and quantity of fluff over quality of content. pritty self explanatory, its a problem i see a lot and another reason i find it difficult to find good games.

Anyway, the result is, i have not considered myself a 'gamer' for many years now, i simply dont play enough different games every year in comparison to when i did consider myself a gamer ('dozens' as opposed to 'a few').

Then again, my definition for 'gamer' seems to to at odds with the average joes definition which seems to be "someone who plays a game(s) during his/her spare time". Mine is more like " a person who plays many different games over the course of a year, during his/her spare time" which precludes a lot of dedicated streamers and youtubers which isnt a popular definition, but a more 'old school' one i suppose.

I am however enthusiastic about PC tech and displays, and I only use my PC for web browsing and playing games, so i cant say i've moved on.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

47 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I sold my ps4 and moved from console gaming to pc, so i guess no? 

And i get why someone would lose interest in gaming but i played all my life - with some occasional breaks here and there - and i specifically moved to pc for modding and emulation… so if anything  that sparked my interest, theres so much u can do with mods, "Doom guy in Monster Hunter" for example  (and yes, you have to hunt him lol) and while i have zero talent for "coding" i could see me making mods occasionally, i actually made a few already, somehow!

But yeah, "traditional" gaming bores me to death, i have a very specific taste, and thankfully those games are still made (not even a specific genre tbh, it can be any genre as long the game style is there)

But thats kinda curious, why this specific kind of games? (looks like fps shooters, and Valve?) have you never tried another type of game, hack and slash (so called "3rd person  action games" ala Devil May Cry, not musou) fighting games (tbh those hooked me for a long time, still playing, since Tekken 1 basically, actually Battle Arena Toshinden…) Tomb Raider games (new and old)  or more obscure stuff like Va11hallA, which is absolutely incredible , considering the genre… etc, I guess? Really just curious, because these shooter type games seem like a one way street, play em for a few years and what then, theres no progression (literally, see Doom) 

I played James Bond on N64, thats all fps shooters would ever need to be, cannot be topped = )

Honorable mention: the very first Medal Of Honor, incredible game… 

PS: i get that overclocking is fun, but if I did that* i would like to see the results in action too, like car tuning (those guys *do* drive their cars, sometimes, nay?)

*actually thats what i do, overclock my stuff for a day or so and then play for weeks on end 😄

I'm old enough to have played on consoles people only read about.

Valve was a big thing HL1 and 2 Cs and CSS where the biggest competitive games out there.

Have played many triple A titles and have always had a decent gaming system.

Now .... that I have kids from 9yrs to 20yrs old, they do most of the gaming. It's their time now. Mine has passed. 

Gaming passion can wear off. Just like with any other hobby.

People's tastes change as age comes along. When you're a kid, you like ketchup. Now as an adult, you may enjoy mustard more.... as an example.

Still like PC food myself, just more on the hardware modification side. That change happened probably 15 years ago or better.

Some of my favorite games in the past where more strategy based I guess. C&C, SupCom, spell force ect ect. 

Yes Mark, I've played more games then I can shake a stick at. Pong Atari Nintendo, had a game gear.  Ps1 2 3 4 5 6. Xbox 1 2 3 4 5 6 ect ect lol. 

Honestly, I think I have more hours in gaming over PC overclocking and hardware modding. 

28 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Now .... that I have kids from 9yrs to 20yrs old, they do most of the gaming. It's their time now. Mine has passed. 

Gaming passion can wear off. Just like with any other hobby.

People's tastes change as age comes along. When you're a kid, you like ketchup. Now as an adult, you may enjoy mustard more.... as an example.

Ah, ok yeah, i see and thats what i said i can understand people losing interest, for many reasons… for me its always like phases, without a specific time frame apparently , but yeah, i was always into computers, i just never really had enough money to build one until couple of years ago, so yeah that is fun too, i learn a lot about stuff i already kinda knew, but actually doing it is a whole other story obviously. 

And yeah true, i dont really like lots of sweet stuff anymore, like they really put too much sugar in them, like way too much, but as a kid i thought  it has to be like that lol…

I mean… re: gaming, currently i feel i dont play enough, most of the time im doing "modding"… huge time waster haha, but its also fun and i feel the more games im modding the more i learn, they all seem to work more or less different, sometimes even between games on the same engine  🤔

28 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Some of my favorite games in the past where more strategy based I guess. C&C, SupCom, spell force ect ect. 

Ah i see, i see,  yeah tastes differ of course, actually that didnt change much for me either, SF, Tekken, etc as a kid and I still enjoy those types of games, doesn't have to be a fighter, but ends up being a quirky usually japanese "action game" ala Nier Automata anyway. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Not yet but I plan to move to mostly gaming on a Switch next year. 

I won’t leave PC gaming totally but it will likely phase out while I do lots of stuff on the Switch that I have always wanted to do.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 hours ago, AzzaNezz said:

Its was more an impulsive and not generally smart decision at that time to buy those things.If you are 100% sure that you want to game and what not,then i agree its better to invest in better quality stuff,but if you just buy someothing like i did just because of sake of it,to have it,it  isnt right decision.

I work in lumber industry,i work in a factory and often while repairing same things,you need to do in in small places so you often hit your hands around while screwing things.And i had often happen that a piece of lumber falls on my hands,its a smaller pieces and generally dont do much damage but still hurts,but i  wouldnt want my 300-500 euros watch to break like that.

Ah yeah, wouldn't wear an expensive watch in those conditions. Or any watch/jewelry really.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I’m not gaming a lot the past few years. The most recent games I’d picked up are Spyro Reignited, Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age, and Life is Strange, so nothing especially new. And even then, I hadn’t fired up a game at all during the weekday. 

I also like Stardew Valley on my iPhone, but am waiting for it’s newest update. 

For someone that doesn’t play often, I feel PC gaming is actually better than console. There’s a huge variety and immense versatility (especially factoring in emulation), it’s easier to manage and carry over long-running saves, and I don’t need to buy hardware that only really plays games. 

So my overall playtime is much less, but is focused on older titles and emulation  available for PC. So I’m unsure what to put for the poll. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just started to get into it the last couple years.

I play a lot of esports, your Fortnite, rocket league, cargo, recently a LOT of valorant, as well as some single player titles, like doom, doom eternal (I play this like once a month, it’s amazing), Shadow/Rise/Tomb Raider.

I play mostly free online fps/3ps games, they can stay pretty fresh, but I usually rotate what I play to keep things fresh, 

I do play some games on my wii now and then, plus halo on my xb1x, but it’s all pc for me really, and I can’t say I want to leave right now. (plus someone’s trying to get me to play for their esports team in collage already)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

*has multiple monitors and a smart tv as one*  I'm watching How I Met Your Mother while I kill bandits as Guts.

I do have a few monitors I could use but then I might miss the target in the game. 

I do have the radio, YT chat, music or audiobooks in the background.

15 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

I do have the radio, YT chat, music or audiobooks in the backgrou

I do this too.

Depending on the game of course. I’m not going to play any music in doom eternal, it’s got great music in game.

I’ll put on a playlist in a single player match in a multiplayer game, like fn or Rocket league, but not in a multi person game like valorant or the team modes of those, single player games it’s game to game if I have something or not

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Still as into PC gaming as i've always been. Starting gaming on my Atari 2600 and 80286 PC when I was around 4-5yo back in the 80's. 

My games at the moment are BFV, Sea of Thieves and Overwatch. I'm looking foward to BF2042, theres definately no shortage of games to get into these days, especially if you have a group of friends to play with. Yes I loved the old titles on my Atari 2600, MegaDrive, PS1, etc...but thats nostalgia, things have moved on and i've moved with the times and really enjoying modern titles. Im not a fan of competitive FPS on console (COD, BF, Overwatch, etc...) with controllers and aim assist, I prefer to just use my console for RPGs and Racing Games mostly. I just don't enjoy mobile gaming either. If im commuting id rather read something, do some research, watch a video etc....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

23 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

I haven't really moved on from PC gaming, but I never really got into it much. The only two games I play anymore are Minecraft (very rarely, I haven't had much desire to play it in years) and Forza Horizon 4. Even then I only play FH4 on rare occasions when I get some free time. 

rage craft 4 is coming out...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

22 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I quit years ago for a few reasons, most of those being personal and only relevant to myself so I won't go into all that.

When games began to have a requirement to always be "Online" just to play it, not being able to have the entire game program on your machine (Local install of the entire game) creating an online tether for it AND to be associated with online stuff like Steam, those were the nails in the coffin about it for me. I knew when the buzz about Steam and such began it wasn't anything in favor towards or for the benefit of gamers.

Now instead of just being able to fire up your favorite game offline and be done with it, you have to connect, login, and then if you don't get locked out by an account problem/stolen or hacked account/game no longer supported online/ect-ect, you can play a round of your game this time.
No guarantees about the next time you'd want to.

i find it hard to just lunch some of my steam games... seems like there way more problems now then there was then. i had to find a work around for  deus ex and city skylines...

maybe that because i moved from an old x58 to and 6600k? i dont no. city skylines first would not boot up in direct x 10 so had a work around for directx 9 then it wont boot with msi afterburner... and now each time i run mind craft a screenshot comes up for its loading screen...super frustrating

quake worked once but then it was na im good and wound not boot up again...

quake 3 never worked....

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

15 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I somewhat have, yet not at the same time.

I hardly ever play any games these days. But when I do, it's still on PC.

Reveal hidden contents

The last time I played something, was on June 27, for a few minutes of Dying Light just to see if I remembered how to play it and whether or not it was worth buying the DLC for it... I didn't and it wasn't.
Before that, it was in May, bought and played the Master Chief collection with a friend. We finished it the stories on Normal and that was it.

Played a bit of Stardew Valley in April.... Terraria in October of 2020... FF15 in April of 2020...

Basically, I can go weeks, months, without playing a single game. Is this the same as "having moved on" ? I don't know. There's just no games that interest me anymore. I feel like I've become what I hated most, a filthy casual who only use their computers for videos, reading and socializing on forums like here. I actually wasted 5 hours of my time, in a single day, on Tiktok of all things two weeks ago after finally caving in and installing the app and I felt sick with myself... Then I went back to checking other tiktok videos.

funny i got in to facebook paintball gropes for like a week then was like wate i should not be so addicted to this...so i stopped.  i use to be on an paintball forms but moved from buying paintball to pc parts...i no just as bad...

15 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't play new shit on PC anymore because even before the ridiculous gpu price hikes from ether mining it was still pretty poor value compared to the current gen consoles at $500. I have pretty much gone back and forth between console and PC for decades though. In the early to mid 80s DOS was better than Atari, early 90s went with SNES, by the mid to late 90s went back to DOS/Windows because its shooters were so much better than what was on console, stuck with PC in the early 2000s because the GTA games looked so much better on it than PS2. Jumped to XBox 360 in the mid 2000s because it offered so much value vs PC, especially after my PC I built a couple of years before at the tail end of the single core era aged like milk. Jumped back on PC in 2014 because the GTX 970 made PC price to performance awesome again, but the gpu price creep since then has turned me off towards building another gaming PC any time soon.

ya $399 the golden age of gpus...rip i use to only spend $150 max on a gpu but building my mega pc i spent $750 for my gtx 1080....and them some($300 ek water block...)  ya it was around a mining crazy but w/e

Edited by thrasher_565

7 minutes ago, James Evens said:

That's the part which sucks about steam: Gothic 1&2 (released approx. 20 years ago [still worth playing]) still on sale on steam but you need to manually find and install a patch to make it work. With gog it just works.

Another example:

Steam: Heroes of might and magic 3 HD (the remake)

GOG: Heroes of might and magic 3 complete edition (original so you can use all the old mods)

ya i never stated an gog account but maybe i should. i heard that once you buy the game from there its yours non online thing at all but they wont have all the games that steam has so ill just need both... steam as mostly been good to me but some games....just dont work....a good reason to keep your old pc i guess.

Edited by thrasher_565

19 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i never stated an gog account but maybe i should. i heard that once you buy the game from there its yours non online thing at all but they wont have all the games that steam has so ill just need both... steam as mostly been good to me but some games....just dont work....a good reason to keep your old pc i guess.

If GOG has a game you want, I'd definitely suggest getting it there instead of Steam. AFAIK all of the games offered there are DRM free. No online requirement, no activation... you can do whatever you want with the games.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

At one stage i played 90% of my games on PC and then a few years back Steam started giving me shit about playing offline and refusing the launch games unless i connected to the internet, that's where i started buying 3rd party games for my Playstation instead because i can buy the disc, i fucking own it and nobody can tell me that i can't play it without connecting to the internet because my consoles go months at a time without being connected lol 

Now i just prefer my PS5, the controller's sweet as and to be honest, pushing out similar graphical fidelity with a PC would cost me an arm and a leg right now anyway.  Also, when i'm done with games i can trade them back in and get a discount on my next purchase, buying games digitally ensures i'll never get anything back. 

1 hour ago, Totallycasual said:

At one stage i played 90% of my games on PC and then a few years back Steam started giving me shit about playing offline and refusing the launch games unless i connected to the internet, that's where i started buying 3rd party games for my Playstation instead because i can buy the disc, i fucking own it and nobody can tell me that i can't play it without connecting to the internet because my consoles go months at a time without being connected lol 

Now i just prefer my PS5, the controller's sweet as and to be honest, pushing out similar graphical fidelity with a PC would cost me an arm and a leg right now anyway.  Also, when i'm done with games i can trade them back in and get a discount on my next purchase, buying games digitally ensures i'll never get anything back. 

These points are a big part of why I quit.

Being beholden to an online service like Steam is just right out for me, I bought the game and I'll play it anytime I want.

What it means in a nut's hell is you have to pay a monthly subscription to play a game you've already payed for in the first place. For example you pay $39.95 to get the game and then you keep having to pay on top of that to play each and every month but that's not all.

Doesn't matter how many games you "Own" through the service, you really don't own any of them and can be locked out/cutoff at anytime for any reason they see fit to, legit or not with next to no recourse on your part. Then you have the other side of it which is there will be a day when the servers that "Houses" the game remotely for you is shutdown. 
At that point any and all $$ paid towards it is just lost and you then have a program that's useless but they still have your money and it's still useful to them. If you add up the cost to have and play an online tethered game you'll be more than suprised how much you've actually paid for the game and the ability to play it.

Not me - I buy once, it's mine and no issues any time I want to play it and not worried about account lockouts or server shutdowns here.

Not to mention another issue is with hacked or stolen accounts which can mean problems way beyond what a stolen/hacked Steam account alone would be.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.