Case Fan Splitter Cables, Yay or Nay?

Waifu4Life
23 minutes ago, the_importer said:

Case Fan Splitter Cables, Yay or Nay?

I got some in my box so yay but only for me? I would say they’re situationally useful.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I got some in my box so yay but only for me? I would say they’re situationally useful.

I only have 1 chassis fan connector on my Mini ITX MB.

Depends on how many fan headers you have vs. fans, and how fine grained you want to control the fans. For example, I've got 2x140mm intake. I've got enough headers to put them both on their own, but it just makes more sense to control them together as a unit. Same goes for my 2x140mm rad fans. There, I had less options, as there's only one convenient fan header, but still, it just makes more sense to control them together.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 hours ago, the_importer said:

I only have 1 chassis fan connector on my Mini ITX MB.

Sounds like a situational necessity then.  1 is not a lot of fan headers.  A three way would get you three fans all spinning at the same speed. A two way would get you 2. Sounds low. What motherboard? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like a situational necessity then.  1 is not a lot of fan headers.  A three way would get you three fans all spinning at the same speed. A two way would get you 2. Sounds low. What motherboard? 

GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI AM4 AMD

On 7/10/2021 at 6:56 AM, the_importer said:

Just check your amp rating on the header and don't exceed it. Most are 1 amp. You can probably run 2-4 fans depending on what kind you want to use.

4 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

Just check your amp rating on the header and don't exceed it. Most are 1 amp. You can probably run 2-4 fans depending on what kind you want to use.

I’ve never seen a 4way splitter but I’ve also led a pretty sheltered life.  Starting to think about the possibility of a controller.  I’ve never used one though and know little.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:56 AM, the_importer said:

What fans are you using? The motherboard has a cpu fan header and a system fan header.

Use splitters if needed. They can make cable routing easier to just introduce clutter. 

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve never seen a 4way splitter but I’ve also led a pretty sheltered life.  Starting to think about the possibility of a controller.  I’ve never used one though and know little.

Sure, they exist. https://www.newegg.com/p/2MV-00HG-002J0

Fan controllers use either dedicated software or hardware knobs / buttons for control. I find these more clunky than basic fan splitters with decent motherboard or software fan control. If more power is needed, powered splitters / hubs function similarly. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fans are you using? The motherboard has a cpu fan header and a system fan header.

Use splitters if needed. They can make cable routing easier to just introduce clutter. 

Sure, they exist. https://www.newegg.com/p/2MV-00HG-002J0

Fan controllers use either dedicated software or hardware knobs / buttons for control. I find these more clunky than basic fan splitters with decent motherboard or software fan control. If more power is needed, powered splitters / hubs function similarly. 

Well I can cross off that purity point.  

11 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

I only have doublers, but I have plugged multiple into each other before. Even 24 gauge wire can handle a few amps, so I've never worried about melting anything.

19 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

I only have doublers, but I have plugged multiple into each other before. Even 24 gauge wire can handle a few amps, so I've never worried about melting anything.

As I understand it, The issue isn’t failure of the cables, it’s output of the motherboard as a power source.  Splitter cables can be daisychained  to make more plugs though complications can arise because of the whole pwm thing.

The limit on Y or 3 way splitters will always be on the controller. (unless you but an insane controller)

as for how many fans on 1 header: read the specs on the fan. 1A max, rest is math