Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wireless Home Network

Sorry if this question is obvious but i want to setup a wireless home network where i can share files and peripherals such as a printer with all configured devices any one can enlighten me n the steps to take if there is any app install necessary and how to go about configuring it? and if there is a video explaining it out on the net that would be of a great help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you need a wireless router to start with, what do you have already on your network?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Well you need a wireless router to start with, what do you have already on your network?

so i have a router with a modem and the devices i want to setup on the network

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bigbosss said:

Sorry if this question is obvious but i want to setup a wireless home network where i can share files and peripherals such as a printer with all configured devices any one can enlighten me n the steps to take if there is any app install necessary and how to go about configuring it? and if there is a video explaining it out on the net that would be of a great help.

Files wise will depend. If your using Windows, MacOS or Linux. In some cases Wireless Routers might have a USB port where you can share a USB Hard drive. I myself has a NAS (Network Attached Storage unit) that connects to my router via Ethernet, Provides me with bulk storage that any computer or device for that matter can access for the most part. 

 

Printers wise, A) your printer will need to support WiFI and be connected to your WiFi (I find WiFi printers to be shit, and half the time they dont work. B) You can see if the router has a USB port and will allow you to use that to share the printer, C) You can maybe find a seperate print server or maybe make one D) You can hook up your printer to a computer on your network and as long as its on use that as a print server or E) Find a printer that directly connects to the router via Ethernet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Files wise will depend. If your using Windows, MacOS or Linux. In some cases Wireless Routers might have a USB port where you can share a USB Hard drive. I myself has a NAS (Network Attached Storage unit) that connects to my router via Ethernet, Provides me with bulk storage that any computer or device for that matter can access for the most part. 

 

Printers wise, A) your printer will need to support WiFI and be connected to your WiFi (I find WiFi printers to be shit, and half the time they dont work. B) You can see if the router has a USB port and will allow you to use that to share the printer, C) You can maybe find a seperate print server or maybe make one D) You can hook up your printer to a computer on your network and as long as its on use that as a print server or E) Find a printer that directly connects to the router via Ethernet. 

I'm using windows and my router dosent have a usb port

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bigbosss said:

I'm using windows and my router dosent have a usb port

As far as the lack of USB ports, well you need a print server or a printer that can connect to the network directly. The easy way is just to use a computer that you leave on as the server and it should work. 

 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-share-files-and-printers-without-homegroup-windows-10

This is a decent guide from what I read. It should help with both File sharing and Printer sharing for Windows 10. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×