Is getting a 144hz IPS panel over a 144hz TN panel worth it?

PRATZiLLA

I need a new monitor with 144hz to mostly play games but I also do some occasional photo editing and was wondering if it be worth it to spend around 90$ extra for an IPS 144hz panel like the BenQ Mobiuz EX2510.  

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer. IPS will have better color reproduction and you won't have any color or gamma shift when looking slightly off-angle. If photo editing is even remotely important to you, then get IPS. Also the EX2510 is one of the better 1080p 24" 144Hz IPS monitors. Maybe look out if you can find the AOC 24G2 for cheaper. It's basically in the same performance tier, but sometimes cheaper depending on availability and your region.

Even with a tight budget, there is next to no argument to go TN nowadays.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

if you are on a tight budget, I would recommend VA panels instead if you dont mind the dark smearing. you also get better contrast on VA compared to IPS. 

I agree completely with @Stahlmann I personally was looking at the AOC24G2 and the EX2510 as well and leaning to the benQ since it has a better panel for gaming and since I can afford it.

dont go out of your way to spend more than your budget for a better monitor if you cannot afford it. 

since you mentioned photo editing, get an IPS panel or AT LEAST a VA panel.  

1 minute ago, TheBean said:

if you are on a tight budget, I would recommend VA panels instead if you dont mind the dark smearing. you also get better contrast on VA compared to IPS. 

I agree completely with @Stahlmann I personally was looking at the AOC24G2 and the EX2510 as well and leaning to the benQ since it has a better panel for gaming. 

In reality they're both very good 24" 1080p 144Hz monitors and you likely won't notice the difference between the two. I'd just get the one that's cheaper for you if budget is the main concern.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, TheBean said:

I agree completely with @Stahlmann I personally was looking at the AOC24G2 and the EX2510 as well and leaning to the benQ since it has a better panel for gaming and since I can afford it.

dont go out of your way to spend more than your budget for a better monitor if you cannot afford it. 

since you mentioned photo editing, get an IPS panel or AT LEAST a VA panel.  

Thanks for the reply! I think I am going to go with the IPS but it means I have to return my 140$ shoe I just bought lol.

3 minutes ago, PRATZiLLA said:

Thanks for the reply! I think I am going to go with the IPS but it means I have to return my 140$ shoe I just bought lol.

That's okay no one needs shoes. Monitor is more important.

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

That's okay no one needs shoes. Monitor is more important.

Especially if its an overpriced shoe

Get a 10-30$ set of shoes so you dont have to worry about tarnishing or breaking them cause they are cheap anyways ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

The difference between performance of gaming TN panels and IPS & VA is getting narrower, more even.

The IPS tends to get almost similar and sometimes even better response times. That used to be the strongest selling point of TN monitors.

I edit my posts more often than not

TN is poop.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

19 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

The difference between performance of gaming TN panels and IPS & VA is getting narrower, more even.

The IPS tends to get almost similar and sometimes even better response times. That used to be the strongest selling point of TN monitors.

Lol i remember the  time  when you  had to choose between trashy  colors and picture quality in general for better gaming performance  or good colors and picture quality but shitty gaming performance.