Best options for an entry level microphone array setup for group of 5-8 people around a table?

Helllooooo tech enthusiasts.

Recently my D&D group has been recording our sessions mostly to help our notes. Our recording situation is currently two iPhone 11s (pretty solid video quality), however I want an increase to our sound quality when the group members are talking.

I currently have a generic $50 condenser microphone that sounds alright on my Windows PC, untested on a mac where the "editing" is done.

My next step is to borrow my buddies M1 Mac and see if my microphone sounds okay then get another one to supplement it. Recommendations on a good room mic, or a different approach altogether?

signal-2021-07-06-125336.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Rolling_Deep said:

Helllooooo tech enthusiasts.

Recently my D&D group has been recording our sessions mostly to help our notes. Our recording situation is currently two iPhone 11s (pretty solid video quality), however I want an increase to our sound quality when the group members are talking.

I currently have a generic $50 condenser microphone that sounds alright on my Windows PC, untested on a mac where the "editing" is done.

My next step is to borrow my buddies M1 Mac and see if my microphone sounds okay then get another one to supplement it. Recommendations on a good room mic, or a different approach altogether?

signal-2021-07-06-125336.jpeg

The Blue Yeti has a setting that allows sound in from all sides, so that could be a good option. Though it is expensive.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

14 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

The Blue Yeti has a setting that allows sound in from all sides, so that could be a good option. Though it is expensive.

the polar pattern of a microphone isn't adjustable in settings.  It is a result of the physical components of the mic.  If you can choose a setting to remove pickup from only certain areas, the mic must contain multiple cardiods which would interfere with each other to result in lower sound quality.
My advice to the OP would be to buy an omnidirectional mic designed/marketed to choirs or other musical ensembles.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

7 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

the polar pattern of a microphone isn't adjustable in settings.  It is a result of the physical components of the mic.  If you can choose a setting to remove pickup from only certain areas, the mic must contain multiple cardiods which would interfere with each other to result in lower sound quality.
My advice to the OP would be to buy an omnidirectional mic designed/marketed to choirs or other musical ensembles.

That's a great idea I hadn't thought of, thank you. I'll look into some trusted brands and such for that market.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 2:55 AM, Rolling_Deep said:

Recommendations on a good room mic, or a different approach altogether?

Not sure what is your setting, but if you are sitting around the table then look at microphones for conferences. Something like this 

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/microphones/wired/best-for/meeting-space/pro44