AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

On 1/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, HarrySIX said:

Yep, this headache inducing bug has a 100% success rate with me. Having 3 different models with the same issue made me think I caused the stuttering myself by installing or plugging in something that was funky with AMD. Guess not. Thankfully you found a fix for it though, even if it took a while! If I get it sorted I'll post an update.

Update: I've managed to disable my fTPM. If the stuttering is gone now, I will happily downgrade to Windows 10 so I don't have to worry about not receiving Windows updates. Fingers crossed.

Good to hear. If you have managed to disable fTPM in a way that it sticks, I guarantee you won't have the issue anymore. Pretty sure everyone here will vouch that disabling fTPM or a module is the only fix.

Welcome back to being able to use your comp, stutter free! What a farce this really is!

On 1/8/2022 at 7:38 AM, HarrySIX said:

I managed to capture one of these hitches while streaming, here's what it looked like

It's amazing that you actually got a clip of this, that's a miracle really.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

15 hours ago, TreesP said:

Good to hear. If you have managed to disable fTPM in a way that it sticks, I guarantee you won't have the issue anymore. Pretty sure everyone here will vouch that disabling fTPM or a module is the only fix.

Welcome back to being able to use your comp, stutter free! What a farce this really is!

After the first stutter-free day went by, I didn't waste another second and rolled back to Windows 10. All good so far!

2 hours ago, HarrySIX said:

After the first stutter-free day went by, I didn't waste another second and rolled back to Windows 10. All good so far!

Just wait Until Microsoft pulls a fast one and locks certain features to windows 11 like they did with dx12 for windows 10. I really hope this gets addressed before then. 

So ASUS got back to me with not very great steps to try. "reflash bios, reset cmos, if that doesn't work RMA"

I dont have a TPM header on my motherboard so that avenue isnt open to me. Anyone else have any luck with bios, cmos and RMA? I assume not.

hank you for contacting ASUS Product Support.

I’m writing this email as an update regarding the escalation case. In coordination with our service center,  It is not known issue internally ,: Please clear CMOS and try running defaul to see if it is settings causing this issue reflash bios to previous versions replace CPU If it still persist, send the unit for repair.

Please read carefully before you continue:

• You may only request for one ASUS product at a time. If you need RMA’s for multiple products, please complete a new form for each product. Do not provide additional serial #’s in the brief description, as they will not be included in the RMA and will cause a delay in processing your RMA at time of receiving.
  • The RMA is valid for 30 days from the issued date. Please send in your unit as soon as possible once the RMA request is submitted.
  • Please do not submit the RMA request if there is potential safety hazards, such as electric shock, chemical leakage, smoke, fire/fire hazard, melted/burned components, bodily injury & property damage. Please chat with us for assistance.
  • A United States or Canada physical address would be required for ASUS to return the unit to after repair. PO Boxes and APO/FPO military addresses are not acceptable for physical shipping address.
  • If the issue is a result of physical damage and it may not be covered under the warranty, you will be contacted via email with information on any applicable costs for repair.
  • Please be aware that the product must be sent in the original factory state and should not be returned with any parts that may have been upgraded or modified. ASUS will not guarantee return of any original parts after repair.
  • If it applies, screen protectors should be removed prior to sending the unit in for repair. Screen protectors that are not removed will be discarded and will not be replaced or returned.
  • ASUS will not return the original part, if it is replaced. This may result in the loss of data, as for example, if your hard drive needs to be replaced. You are responsible for backing up all data before you send your product to ASUS. ASUS and its affiliates and contractors are not responsible for returning original parts if they are being replaced.
  • Please note all accessories sent in with your return which are not listed on the RMA checklist, will not be returned to you.
  • Please make sure to carefully read and complete the RMA checklist and instructions. Please provide a thorough and detailed description of the problems and issues you are experiencing with the unit.
  • It’s important that you carefully review the special product handling instructions before processing to ensure if any associated accessories need to be sent with your unit to the facility for adequate testing and repair. For example, if power related issues, please send in power cord/adapter along with your unit.
  • Please make sure to send in the unit to the address on the RMA Instructions. If your unit is sent to an address other than the repair center address from the RMA Instructions, expect delays in processing your RMA.
  • To protect your rights, please read and agree to the Terms and Conditions and ASUS Privacy Policy of repair service.

Please click here to start your RMA process. 

Hello there.

I've been redirected to this thread when I also creared a Troubleshooting topic with a similar issue.

This made me notice that the random microstutters appeared after I enabled TPM (after watching the LTT video about it). I cannot be sure that the problem appeared immediately after I enabled it, but it was sure at a later date.

I still have Windows 10, but I also have an AMD CPU, a Ryzen 3600.

I'll try disabling TPM and check back in a few days, since sometimes the issue remains dormant for days.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:38 PM, HarrySIX said:

I've been trying to deal with this for ages so here's my story. In my case, I get this type of stutter 3-4 times a day. Regardless of what programs I'm running. I run Windows 11 and there is no way for me to turn off fTPM, as it automatically enables itself after every reboot. Oh yeah, and I've had this issue on 4 different AMD based systems. I should have learned by now.

Anyway, I have a brand new PC with:

AMD RYZEN 9 5950X

ASUS PRIME X570-P

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 3200MHZ 32GB

NVIDIA EVGA RTX 3080 TI

Samsung 980 PRO 2TB

All of my software (including BIOS) and drivers are up to date.

I managed to capture one of these hitches while streaming, here's what it looked like:

From what I've gathered my best two options are to downgrade to Win10 so I can disable fTPM, or to buy a discrete TPM. Though I don't see a TPM connector on my motherboard, so I don't know if the latter is even possible. Help

I was also able to capture one of these. Happened on Windows 10 with AMD fTPM enabled on a B450 gaming max and a Ryzen 3600

Here's the thread I made about it  on the forum with the video:

@Mondodimotori
Thank you for the insight. Please tell us how it's going for you with the TPM disabled / if the stutters come back or if they are forever gone (hopefully the latter)

Oh and I almost forgot:

This might be slightly off topic but could I trouble you to give me the link to the LTT Video that you mentioned?
Sorry to bother you.

3 hours ago, DiceGG said:

@Mondodimotori
Thank you for the insight. Please tell us how it's going for you with the TPM disabled / if the stutters come back or if they are forever gone (hopefully the latter)

Oh and I almost forgot:

This might be slightly off topic but could I trouble you to give me the link to the LTT Video that you mentioned?
Sorry to bother you.

Yeah, for the answer at the first question I'd want to wait at least one week, to be sure. Because I alredy thought to have resolved the issue when I updated the video drivers one month ago and the issue didn't show for 4 days.

As for the video, it was this:

I just wanted to make my PC ready for when, in the future, I would update it to Windows 11, so I just checked if everything was in order in my system. Of course it wasn't, by a long shot. I actually found out that the boot drive in my system was different from the one I had the SO (probably because I connected the HDD to the slot 0 in the MOBO and the SSD in the slot 1, go figure...). So before being able to enable "secure boot" and TPM, I firstly had to transfer the boot on the same drive as the OS, then switch to a UEFI BIOS (I had a Legacy BIOS), and then enable secure boot and TMP.

I don't know how much time after that, but I started noticing these slowdowns and stutterings. I'll come back to all of you if the problem is gone now that I disabled fTPM.

Apart from those stuttering, the whole process made my PC faster, especially boot times. So I actually never thought that that little change in the BIOS options could have such a visible impact in performances.

4 hours ago, Mondodimotori said:

Yeah, for the answer at the first question I'd want to wait at least one week, to be sure. Because I alredy thought to have resolved the issue when I updated the video drivers one month ago and the issue didn't show for 4 days.

As for the video, it was this:

I just wanted to make my PC ready for when, in the future, I would update it to Windows 11, so I just checked if everything was in order in my system. Of course it wasn't, by a long shot. I actually found out that the boot drive in my system was different from the one I had the SO (probably because I connected the HDD to the slot 0 in the MOBO and the SSD in the slot 1, go figure...). So before being able to enable "secure boot" and TPM, I firstly had to transfer the boot on the same drive as the OS, then switch to a UEFI BIOS (I had a Legacy BIOS), and then enable secure boot and TMP.

I don't know how much time after that, but I started noticing these slowdowns and stutterings. I'll come back to all of you if the problem is gone now that I disabled fTPM.

Apart from those stuttering, the whole process made my PC faster, especially boot times. So I actually never thought that that little change in the BIOS options could have such a visible impact in performances.

Thank you.
Yes, I fully agree with what you wrote.

And I can even confirm the faster boot times.

On 12/2/2021 at 3:58 PM, Mojo-Jojo said:

Consciously, nothing that I know of.

I just run my daily Windows updates and have the latest AMD chipset drivers & BIOS.

Although I did have these stuttering/glitch issues before with the same BIOS and Chipset drivers, so I doubt that's it.

So if it's fixed, it must have been a Windows Update. Either that, or it's not fixed and I've just been lucky lately.

Just an update to let people know that it hasn't been fixed. I've just been lucky for weeks or haven't noticed the stutters (maybe they happened while I was AFK).

I had stutters again yesterday.

On 1/7/2022 at 2:07 AM, djmakk said:

I think what's happening is the stutter is occurring when the OS is checking something related to the TPM and because it's happening at the hardware level, the OS can't detect itself stuttering. Like it doesn't even register a event in windows event viewer. 

Maybe AMD means they did it right and the motherboard vendor has messed something up. I know Asus is having issues across a bunch of different motherboards, what other brands are having this issue? I also have a b550 MSI board and its fine.

My mobo is X470 Gaming Pro and it's affected by this issue.
TPM is turned on right now, I'm kinda use to this 'trrr" and crackling, but sometime it become worse like "trrrrrrrr", usually it's softens after some time, until I reboot.

Also, for me, it's not like this ↡

and as I said before (on some previous page) it's not like in recreation video from beginning of the thread

it's usually short (half sec) "trrr" or sometimes it's crackling in sound, or like split second hole in sound.
it's happens regardless of if it's speakers connected to integrated soundcard or if it's Bluetooth headphones
and it's definitely stop happening if I switch off fTPM.

Hi all - I confirm the problem with ASUS TUF B550M-plus together with Ryzen 5800X.

I updated the UEFI BIOS to the last one (version 2423). Unfortunately looks like one cannot disable TPM at all!? I can only switch between firmware and discrete TPM. Can someone confirm this? Is there some other menu/item I can disable to turn off TPM?

Thanks!

On 8/14/2021 at 10:20 PM, Sete said:

I'm also having the same problem and I only solved it by disabling the FTPM in the bios.

Config:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (AF)
MB: EX-A320M-GAMING
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8) 3200Mhz
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming X3 GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER™ OC edition

Note: It is possible to disable FTPM in the new Asus bios by following the steps in the attached images.

01.jpeg

02.jpeg

03.jpeg

04.jpeg

@Klaudius VysousI had the same thing, if you follow these steps instead you should be able to turn it off. Worked for me. After you've done this, type "tpm.msc" in the Windows Run command window, to check whether your TPM is actually disabled. 

17 hours ago, Klaudius Vysous said:

Hi all - I confirm the problem with ASUS TUF B550M-plus together with Ryzen 5800X.

I updated the UEFI BIOS to the last one (version 2423). Unfortunately looks like one cannot disable TPM at all!? I can only switch between firmware and discrete TPM. Can someone confirm this? Is there some other menu/item I can disable to turn off TPM?

Thanks!

Yes, in trusted computing menu can be ftpm disabled.

I have had more nonsense from AMD. Here's a very brief summary:

I am ***********. Your ticket has been escalated to me and I will be taking over your Service Request from now.

I have reviewed your ticket, gone through the forum posts, checked your dxdiag report.

I would like to inform you that the forum posts that you have provided have different symptoms, have a different system configuration like desktops, OS is Windows 11 for most of the users and there are other causes to their issues as well.

So there you have it, we all have different symptoms and causes apparently, but we all know that is not the case.

I tried to explain that the fact people with vastly different setups ranging from laptops to custom-built desktops have the same issue only when fTPM is enabled proves it is not user error and disabling fTPM solves it immediately. How can so many people be at fault, and what exactly are we all doing wrong?

Somehow this rep thinks that leans in favour of AMD, I understand they're going to be biased, but this is just ridiculous. I won't post the rest, just the usual "update this and that" rubbish again, which has been done over and over and makes no difference.

This is exactly what I've come to expect dealing with this for the last year or so, and it's the same pointless back and forth with zero progress on the matter. Basically, if you have these stutters with fTPM enabled then it's your fault somehow.

So I either need a new ITX board with a tpm header or I need a different different vendors board that doesnt have this issue. I am not even sure which ones dont have this issue. 

Same problem with the Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P. If I disable the fTPM the system won't cause any random stutters, even if LatencyMon shows high latency, the stutter are gone. It's possible to upgrade to Windows 11 and then disable the fTPM? 

7 hours ago, Krist0fh said:

Same problem with the Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P. If I disable the fTPM the system won't cause any random stutters, even if LatencyMon shows high latency, the stutter are gone. It's possible to upgrade to Windows 11 and then disable the fTPM? 

Yes, thats possible. Right now we dont know about any disadvantages.

To anybody who has had this problem solved:

I use an MSI b550 a-pro and i don't know if i should disable TPM State on MSI bios or AMD fTPM. I have a Ryzen 7 3700x (stating it just in case it matters).

Just chiming in to be another part of this apparently long list with a 5900X/6800XT/ASUS Strix B550-E. I assumed that I had somehow messed up an OC setting and have been trying to fix it using voltages, reinstalled windows 10 and even did a fresh install of windows 11 but to no avail. No matter what even at bone stock in a fresh install with new drivers it was having this issue and it drove me mad, randomly just having the web browser stutter, games have good average framerates but then random frametime spikes. Felt like my system was a downgrade from my 6700k and GTX970 but when benching there was no problem with the scores etc in 3DMark timespy etc. Disabled it and to my surprise games have similar framerates but the lows are actually reasonable instead of just totally locking up. I have a feeling though that this is just hiding some underlying issue with the way it's implemented with regards to drivers or something where it causes some sort of interrupt that freezes the whole system.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:42 PM, djmakk said:

I got that too, told them I'm on latest everything and then I got this response:

If anyone wants to pile on, I added my vote and comments to this Feedback Post on Microsofts Feeback. Seems to be the most poplar one:

https://aka.ms/AAdp03i

I clicked that to add my support only to realize I already upvoted that same feedback and even left a comment on it... over five months ago.

What a mess this continues to be. I'm sticking with Windows 10 and fTPM disabled for as long as I can, at least until this is resolved or the physical modules come way back down in price again.

I can't even see if a new BIOS update would maybe address this as Gigabyte are dragging their feet on BIOS updates. They haven't even bothered with a new update for the past 3 months for my board, even longer (6 months) if you exclude beta BIOS updates.

Hello,

I've the same problem with my ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING / 5900X.

When fTPM is enabled, I've random stutters that occur about 1 or 2 times per day....

🙄

On 1/15/2022 at 6:19 PM, Fabian2602 said:

Yes, thats possible. Right now we dont know about any disadvantages.

Will it update properly? Or it will receive only some of updates until fTPM enabled again?

On 7/17/2021 at 1:55 AM, meemz said:

No news, just waiting for someone better equipped to troubleshoot this to take a look.

speccy.png

I would try saving your CMOS settings, then CMOS clear, then put fTPM back on to make sure no other options are conflicting. I understand it stutters until fTPM is off, but another option may be conflicting when fTPM is also on.