AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

14 minutes ago, Soph3D said:

I actually didn't mention turning it off in my reply.

Sorry, I read this wrong:

16 hours ago, Soph3D said:

It still at least gives a glimmer of hope that this can be fixed without disabling fTPM.

I read that as WITH disabling tpm. My mistake. It's been a long few days.

And yes, I agree, the "fix" of simply disabling it is absolutely not a solution and no one should accept it as such, but I can not see a permanent fix being implemented if you have this issue with whatever your current setup is. It seems too random, and I can't see manufacturers tailoring fixes for such a thing. 

I would love to hear what AMD has to say about it.

Well guys, i finally gave in. With my CPU and Mobo RMA approved and getting my money back for both. I was going to get a 5800X but i changed my mind and decided to try the new Alder Lake chips. Im leaving one buggy platform to a probably buggier plataform since its brand new. Wish you guys all the luck and hope that they fix it real soon, it was a pain in my ass.

Intel Core i5-12600K            Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X            XPG Gammix  D10 (4x8GB) DDR4-3200Mhz

ADATA Falcon 512GB            Nvme  XPG Gammix S41 TUF 256GB Nvme            WD Green 480GB Nvme

Zotac Geforce RTX 2070 Super            XPG Core Reactor 850W            Seagate HD 1TB 7200rpm                       

Noctua NH-D15            AOC 24G2/BK           Corsair 4000D            Corsair K68            Logitech G502 Hero           

i have the exact same audio and video stuttering problem. the mouse slows down and the framerate also gets high.

x570 strix and 3700x 3600c18ddr4 psu 1000w tpm2 active on w10, updated bios.

I've been losing my mind for a month, thank goodness I saw your post. 

ONE THING MITIGATE THE PROBLEM, set up RAM manually with Dram calculator. Now stuttering occurs more rarely and lasts about half (1 -2 sec, instead of 3-4)  Have you tried putting the CPU fixed in the frequency? A friend told me it might be related to "core isolation". Do you know anything about it?

While stuttering, I also noticed various application crashes, sometimes the gamepad, other the ghub mouse, other Xbox apps 

PS I apologize for the indecent English with which I wrote, but I am Italian and I know little about it, so I relied on google

Edit:

small survey that who has the problem

What RAM do you have (bdie and die?) Do you use xmp? Have you set any energy profiles?

Hi, made account to say that I have same or similar problem.
Before release of 11, when I learned about TPM, I decided to check if I can enabled it in BIOS or not.
I have MSI 470X and Ryzen 2700X.
I've found fTPM in BIOS, enabled it, and after some time noticed problem.

It's seems doesn't affect FPS of games or video, at least noticeable, but it cause sound stuttering.

Not like in recreation video at the beginning of this thread, but more like short "trrrr" and it happens once in while.

When it happened the first time, when I still was on win10, I undone some things I remembered doing last time before this problem occurs including enabling fTPM

Problem stopped after it. I suspected that it was exactly issue of enabling fTPM, and not other things I did (I changed some processor states in power plan and something else, I can't remember what)
When they released 11, I decided to update, and enabled TPM again. And issue came back, and still persist (right now I have TPM disabled in win11)

I tried update BIOS and stuff, chipset drivers, all same, random "trrr", sometimes it's not trrr but slight crackle, or small gaps in sound.
One time it didn't happened for whole day until I rebooted. Intervals also random, sometimes there no crackle for long time and when you think it's gone for good it's crackle again.
Didn't found any solution, and google gives nothing, hardly found this thread.

Read whole this thread. Didn't tried disable on of methods in setting, don't think it help.
Rad about bad PSU, but it's bullshit, doubt that fTPM drain power like nuclear submarine or something.
I wonder if it will fixed.
And if windows 11 actually won't update without it, it also stupid, as I understand TPM even didn't utilized, at least in my case.

I also have this problem with 5600x and Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (BIOS 2423).

Started to happen in Windows 10 and 11 after fTPM was turned on.

I tried to write a log via HWiNFO with an interval of 0.5 seconds, then I built a graph and tried to find strange behavior in the values at the time of lag. I noticed a few points. See screenshots bellow. But it seems to me that the change in these values is a consequence and not a cause.

Power Reporting Deviation drop to 38-40% from 120-230%

Spoiler

spacer.png

Cores clock speed

Spoiler

spacer.png

Anyone interested can download the full version.

P.s Sorry for my English

log.html

Hi everyone,
I've had the same problem for months...
My setup:
• CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
• Graphics card – TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X
• Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming
• Watercooling - Corsair ICUE H100I Elite Capellix
• RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL18
• SSD - M.2 2280 Kingston A2000 1TB
• SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
• Tower - Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB
• PSU - Corsair RM Series RM850

I tried several solutions to fix this issue (stutter for 1/2 seconds, like a"trrr.." sound), but so far nothing has worked, I was going crazy with this...
I even considered the possibility of having a defective graphics or cpu and return it because both are still under warranty..
Searching the net I found this topic and I was more relieved for not being the only one with the same problem, unfortunately...
I hope that the new Bios udapte of the Asus motherboad manages to solve this problem...

Sorry for my English, the translator always helped a little xD

THANK YOU for sharing more information to resolve this issue.

stay safe

On 11/27/2021 at 7:28 AM, lmaonator said:

I kept it running and just caught one of the stutters right after I looked at it and it didn't capture anything. Only NVIDIA driver, ntoskrnl and wdf0100 were slightly above 1ms but those were in that ballpark all day..

That fits with what someone else said about OBS, when stutters happen the stream lags but OBS doesn't see anything wrong or any dropped frames. It's as if the CPU stalls, including all time measuring.

Thanks for trying, I've been running it for over a week but haven't had any glitches or stutters in that time anymore. I wonder if whatever the issue was on my end, was fixed somehow.

since I set the RAM by hand with Dram calculator I have not had the problem anymore. but it's only 2 days it's a bit early to sing victory

6 hours ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Thanks for trying, I've been running it for over a week but haven't had any glitches or stutters in that time anymore. I wonder if whatever the issue was on my end, was fixed somehow.

What did you do to solve?

18 hours ago, FriasF said:

Hi everyone,
I've had the same problem for months...
My setup:
• CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
• Graphics card – TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X
• Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming
• Watercooling - Corsair ICUE H100I Elite Capellix
• RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL18
• SSD - M.2 2280 Kingston A2000 1TB
• SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
• Tower - Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB
• PSU - Corsair RM Series RM850

I tried several solutions to fix this issue (stutter for 1/2 seconds, like a"trrr.." sound), but so far nothing has worked, I was going crazy with this...
I even considered the possibility of having a defective graphics or cpu and return it because both are still under warranty..
Searching the net I found this topic and I was more relieved for not being the only one with the same problem, unfortunately...
I hope that the new Bios udapte of the Asus motherboad manages to solve this problem...

Sorry for my English, the translator always helped a little xD

THANK YOU for sharing more information to resolve this issue.

stay safe

This dram is  chip hynix CDie? 3800Cl 18 22 22  or bdie Samsung?

3 hours ago, frauss said:

This dram is  chip hynix CDie? 3800Cl 18 22 22  or bdie Samsung?

Hello Frauss,
I checked on this site (https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/) that my ram isn't (samsung bdie), but I can't tell if it is (hynix CDie chip).
The model of my ram is the Corsair CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18
I know it has a timing of 18-22-22-42 C18.
is there any problem for using this ram in my setup that i don't know??

thanks

18 hours ago, FriasF said:

Hello Frauss,
I checked on this site (https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/) that my ram isn't (samsung bdie), but I can't tell if it is (hynix CDie chip).
The model of my ram is the Corsair CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18
I know it has a timing of 18-22-22-42 C18.
is there any problem for using this ram in my setup that i don't know??

thanks

you can check with this utility http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

Nothing for sure, it was just my suspicion that there could be a link between RAM instability with zen and the stuttering problem. Hynix c die often have problems with AMD. 

EDIT:

at the moment, I no longer had stuttering, but at every start I have this error in the events anyway. I don't know what it means or if it is related to the tpm problem.

cmq setting the rams by hand or with agesa seems to be solved. (at least for now)

Inizializzazione della registrazione del certificato SCEP per WORKGROUP\DESKTOP-LE8DSGQ$ tramite https://AMD-KeyId-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net/templates/Aik/scep non riuscita:

GetCACaps
GetCACaps: Not Found
{"Message":"The authority \"amd-keyid-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net\" does not exist."}
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 13:22:26 GMT
Content-Length: 121
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000;includeSubDomains
x-ms-request-id: ffff2688-d463-48a8-9de2-da72903d1f58

Metodo: GET(656ms)
Fase: GetCACaps
Non trovato (404). 0x80190194 (-2145844844 HTTP_E_STATUS_NOT_FOUND)

22 hours ago, frauss said:

What did you do to solve?

Consciously, nothing that I know of.

I just run my daily Windows updates and have the latest AMD chipset drivers & BIOS.

Although I did have these stuttering/glitch issues before with the same BIOS and Chipset drivers, so I doubt that's it.

So if it's fixed, it must have been a Windows Update. Either that, or it's not fixed and I've just been lucky lately.

Just came here to say that I rolled back to w10.

don't really care anymore about upgrading after dealing with some of the weird annoying bugs on 11 like this one I found

I'd recommend to just turn off fTPM and by the time 11 is good you'll probably have to change motherboards for a new cpu socket anyways. just remember to get one with a hardware tpm.

good luck to anyone more determined than me to get this working the way it should

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 12:58 PM, GGiuliano93 said:

Bought an asus tpm spi module for 15$, gonna try if it stutter now

You shouldn't have any problem if you switch to using a discrete TPM. I did the same thing. Still a shame to have to do this, though, when the CPU is supposed to be able to do this itself.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

On 7/17/2021 at 5:26 AM, meemz said:

I made a recreation of what the stutter sounds and looks like in adobe premiere so its easier to explain what it is.

I have exactly same problem on 2 week old setup. It is caused by win 11, when I instaled win 10 on same system problem went away... We just must wait for win 11 to be more you know.. functional.

Hey guys,

im facing the same problem with the following setup:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x, Gskill Trident Z 3600 and a MSI B550M Mortar Wifi. I tried different settings and BIOSs, but i got stuttering as long ftpm was activated. I don't really like to disable or accept the problem, so im gonna buy a discrete TPM Modul. Can i use any module or does ot need to be produced by MSI?

Thanks 🙂

23 hours ago, Fabian2602 said:

Hey guys,

im facing the same problem with the following setup:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x, Gskill Trident Z 3600 and a MSI B550M Mortar Wifi. I tried different settings and BIOSs, but i got stuttering as long ftpm was activated. I don't really like to disable or accept the problem, so im gonna buy a discrete TPM Modul. Can i use any module or does ot need to be produced by MSI?

Thanks 🙂

You don't need to use one made by MSI, but the one you use needs to have the exact pin out your motherboard requires or it won't work or can even cause issues. Use the keywords "msi, 12-1, MS-4462" while looking for a module and you should be able to find one that matches your motherboard's TPM header.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

On 11/11/2021 at 10:40, Sete said:

Ainda é possível desabilitar o TPM na ASUS e fiz um post explicando como fazer isso algumas páginas atrás: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1353904-amd-ftpm-causing-random-stuttering/?do=findComment&comment = 14931775

After leaving "Security Device Support" on "Disable", press F10 and Ok.
After that, my PC turns off and on 3x before any image appears (as if the BIOS didn't like the new setting), then the "American Megatrends" 
screen appears and I can only go back to the BIOS, forcing me to go back to "Enable" to start the system.

Is there any way someone can tell me why? Is there a way to "get around" this American Trends screen?
In short, I have this same Stuttering issue for 2 months, but apparently my BIOS or my PC doesn't like me to disable it in BIOS, forcing me to 
enable it again to boot the system.

My configuration is: *I already changed everything in my setup, except the CPU and the RAM, I was giving up from everything, but I find this
topic and well, I'm not alone with this poor AMD and Microsoft issue.*
5600x
X570 TUF GAMING PLUS/BR
4X8 - 32GB
3060Ti ASUS TUF
850W Core Reactor

*Illustrative image of the Megatrends screen*

megatrends.png

11 hours ago, luni6mi said:
After leaving "Security Device Support" on "Disable", press F10 and Ok.
After that, my PC turns off and on 3x before any image appears (as if the BIOS didn't like the new setting), then the "American Megatrends" 
screen appears and I can only go back to the BIOS, forcing me to go back to "Enable" to start the system.

Is there any way someone can tell me why? Is there a way to "get around" this American Trends screen?
In short, I have this same Stuttering issue for 2 months, but apparently my BIOS or my PC doesn't like me to disable it in BIOS, forcing me to 
enable it again to boot the system.

My configuration is: *I already changed everything in my setup, except the CPU and the RAM, I was giving up from everything, but I find this
topic and well, I'm not alone with this poor AMD and Microsoft issue.*
5600x
X570 TUF GAMING PLUS/BR
4X8 - 32GB
3060Ti ASUS TUF
850W Core Reactor

*Illustrative image of the Megatrends screen*

megatrends.png

It could be that some system protection is causing this.

5 hours ago, Sete said:

It could be that some system protection is causing this.

I finally did it! 
After the American Screen appears, I press F1 and go immediatly to "Boot" and Click at the Windows Boot, after that, everything working fine with fTPM disable: 

image.thumb.png.0636c93aa6a9d1a9781844356cfb27cf.png

same issue here even if not so pronounced.

Is there any solution except the purchase of a discrete TPM module or AMD has not yet recognized the problem??

5600X, Asus Tuf gaming B550M-Plus (wi-fi), BIOS: 2423 (latest, 2021/08/17), OS: 11 21H2 (22000.376), Chipset driver: (3.10.08.506)

2 hours ago, Ita1 said:

Is there any solution except the purchase of a discrete TPM module or AMD has not yet recognized the problem??

5600X, Asus Tuf gaming B550M-Plus (wi-fi), BIOS: 2423 (latest, 2021/08/17), OS: 11 21H2 (22000.376), Chipset driver: (3.10.08.506)

Apparently not. There is no other solution that I've seen other than disable or buy a module. And nothing official from AMD or Microsoft either, unless someone has seen something recently. I'm sure AMD are aware, I refuse to believe they aren't at this point, but it seems to be a "sweep it under the carpet" kind of thing.

It is honestly starting to grate on me now. This is a big issue.

7 hours ago, Ita1 said:

Disable fTPM in the BIOS settings or purchase a Discrete TPM Module. Any answers from AMD or Microsoft, most of users even didn't enabled the fTPM, so... The reports are just a 1/2% from now and getting bigger. 

All we can do is wait. But, no more AMD for me. Waiting for 2023/2024 new Intel's Gen.

Another thing, I'm currently using the X570 TUF GAMING PLUS. Asus maybe is forcing some BIOS and MOBO's to Enable fTPM. I was just able to Disable after mock the "American Megatrends" screen.

I had posted a few times in this topic so I feel obligated to tell you how my story ended. I finally purchased a discrete TPM module from AliExpress and the problem has been resolved. Windows recognizes the module and the system is ready for Win11 without any stutters.

Not the best solution we hoped for but it works. Still, I'm probably holding to my word not to buy my next build on AMD. Too many problems.
Cheers guys.