AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

9 hours ago, dpeter said:

Just had another stutter, i just changed my SHA-256 to disabled and enabled SHA 1, hope it works

trust me it wont, sadly

6 hours ago, Tea Monster said:

Yes. I didn't have any controls available for setting the PCR banks. According to others, it might have been available if I actually enabled it and restarted, but I didn't do that. 

I double checked the effect now that fTPM is disabled by watching a movie on the machine and in the same time frame where I would have experienced two stutters, there was nothing. The video played flawlessly with fTPM turned off. 

Also, I just want to add something. Someone has stated "Why isn't this noted by others who have these boards?" I initially thought that my hard drive was dying, or that I had some memory problem. By luck, I remembered that I'd enabled fTPM on the board a month ago and made the connection. How many people haven't made that connection? How many people are currently swapping out parts, reinstalling the OS and adjusting memory settings right now trying to fix this? How many people are just assuming that their internet buffered their streaming movie and have been ignoring this? This could be a HUGE problem that we are only seeing a section of here. 

Exactly, i found this thread later, when it first happened i RMA'd my board...

Intel Core i5-12600K            Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X            XPG Gammix  D10 (4x8GB) DDR4-3200Mhz

ADATA Falcon 512GB            Nvme  XPG Gammix S41 TUF 256GB Nvme            WD Green 480GB Nvme

Zotac Geforce RTX 2070 Super            XPG Core Reactor 850W            Seagate HD 1TB 7200rpm                       

Noctua NH-D15            AOC 24G2/BK           Corsair 4000D            Corsair K68            Logitech G502 Hero           

18 hours ago, ANGGARAMDAN said:

trust me it wont, sadly

Yeah, it didn't

Intel Core i5-12600K            Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X            XPG Gammix  D10 (4x8GB) DDR4-3200Mhz

ADATA Falcon 512GB            Nvme  XPG Gammix S41 TUF 256GB Nvme            WD Green 480GB Nvme

Zotac Geforce RTX 2070 Super            XPG Core Reactor 850W            Seagate HD 1TB 7200rpm                       

Noctua NH-D15            AOC 24G2/BK           Corsair 4000D            Corsair K68            Logitech G502 Hero           

On 10/30/2021 at 8:29 AM, Tea Monster said:

Yes. I didn't have any controls available for setting the PCR banks. According to others, it might have been available if I actually enabled it and restarted, but I didn't do that. 

I have the same board, there is no way to disable individual PCR banks.

You can turn off both by disabling the PSP or whatever it was, it's the option above the banks.

I think then you would fail the W11 TPM check though..

I can't test it, still on 10 and I'm using Bitlocker and want the TPM for added security.. so this issue is slightly annoying..

From what I've heard, you can get a separate, hardware TPM to slot in the board and bypass the onboard fTPM. That is going to cost you extra though. 

It all depends on how long it takes AMD or the TPM makers to acknowledge there is a problem and get a fix out. 

1 minute ago, Tea Monster said:

From what I've heard, you can get a separate, hardware TPM to slot in the board and bypass the onboard fTPM. That is going to cost you extra though. 

It all depends on how long it takes AMD or the TPM makers to acknowledge there is a problem and get a fix out. 

Yeah, we really need to start spamming AMD reportint this issue so they can acknowledge this

31 minutes ago, dpeter said:

Yeah, we really need to start spamming AMD reportint this issue so they can acknowledge this

AMD forums has this topic >here<

3 minutes ago, Antistar said:

AMD forums has this topic >here<

Good, i really hope windows 11 takes off and its adoption rate skyrockets so that this issue can become more visible to amd and they finally fix this, I don't want to buy a TPM Module just for this but at this rate i probably will.

Hello guys, I'm using 5600x and B550M, I also have stutter problem when using my PC. It happens 1-2 times a day. I wonder if anyone found out the solution to solve this?

As the title of the topic mention about fTPM, should I disable fTPM at this moment to fix this problem? 

3 minutes ago, mrWhite90 said:

Hello guys, I'm using 5600x and B550M, I also have stutter problem when using my PC. It happens 1-2 times a day. I wonder if anyone found out the solution to solve this?

As the title of the topic mention about fTPM, should I disable fTPM at this moment to fix this problem? 

Disabling the fTPM is the only solution for now. 

2 minutes ago, Georgi_S said:

Disabling the fTPM is the only solution for now. 

How does this fTPM affect if I disable or enable it? Could you please tell me what's the difference?

5 minutes ago, mrWhite90 said:

How does this fTPM affect if I disable or enable it? Could you please tell me what's the difference?

If you use Windows 10, it doesn’t matter if it’s on or off. If it’s off in 11, there is a chance that you don’t get updates or they don’t install properly. 

I really hope that Microsoft/AMD will fix this soon enough, because apparently the problem persist only on Windows. 

15 minutes ago, Georgi_S said:

If you use Windows 10, it doesn’t matter if it’s on or off. If it’s off in 11, there is a chance that you don’t get updates or they don’t install properly. 

I really hope that Microsoft/AMD will fix this soon enough, because apparently the problem persist only on Windows. 

Well, I guess I have to wait for this fixed, but I'm not sure if AMD/Microsoft aware of this problem since I found not much topic about this on the internet.

Hello all,

I simply had to create an account just to reply to this.

Whilst I can't help with an actual solution, I feel the need to add myself to the list of people suffering from this.

I have had this issue since Jan '21 with a Lenovo Legion 5 laptop - 4800H/2060. I found the link to this thread amongst a lengthy post on the Lenovo forums with people having the same problem and could not find a solution until now.

I've had 3 warranty "repairs" from Lenovo, new GPU, hard drive, memory, Wi-Fi card, you name it... it's all been replaced. I tried so many other potential fixes it is ridiculous. The issue persisted no matter what.

Most of the posts I've read about this have stated they had 1-3 stutters per day (that they noticed), however, I was getting between 20-50 stutters on some days, on occasions I could go 5-7 days with nothing. The seemingly random nature of this has been a nightmare! Everywhere I went for help, fixes offered did not help and it was deemed as my fault somehow or some software I had installed. I knew this was not the case because I have been thorough in testing potential causes.

Needless to say, this has been absolutely infuriating and honestly not good for my sanity. It made my laptop unusable for 10 months with these harsh stutters ruining every piece of audio or video.

Turned off PSP in the BIOS. Fixed. No stutters for nearly a month now. Coincidence? I think not.

Knowing how annoying this issue is, I feel bad saying I wish it on others, but with Windows 11 being churned out, in a way I hope it starts to affect other machines and gets more attention and that results in a permanent fix being implemented.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this, so thanks to all involved for finding this "fix". Very relieved for now, but still annoyed it has not been addressed after all this time.

Fingers crossed, folks.

5900x with GB x570 Aorus Elite , the stutters still here but not common enough but still annoying,

I had it on Win10 and upgraded to 11 and still had it and clean installed 11 still have the stutter issue once every couple of days.

Windows up to date and also latest AMD chipset and currently using F36e bios with AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.4 A

the only way currently to fix it is to disable fTPM but you won't get updates on Win11.

or buy standalone TPM module.

10 hours ago, TreesP said:

Hello all,

I simply had to create an account just to reply to this.

Whilst I can't help with an actual solution, I feel the need to add myself to the list of people suffering from this.

I have had this issue since Jan '21 with a Lenovo Legion 5 laptop - 4800H/2060. I found the link to this thread amongst a lengthy post on the Lenovo forums with people having the same problem and could not find a solution until now.

I've had 3 warranty "repairs" from Lenovo, new GPU, hard drive, memory, Wi-Fi card, you name it... it's all been replaced. I tried so many other potential fixes it is ridiculous. The issue persisted no matter what.

Most of the posts I've read about this have stated they had 1-3 stutters per day (that they noticed), however, I was getting between 20-50 stutters on some days, on occasions I could go 5-7 days with nothing. The seemingly random nature of this has been a nightmare! Everywhere I went for help, fixes offered did not help and it was deemed as my fault somehow or some software I had installed. I knew this was not the case because I have been thorough in testing potential causes.

Needless to say, this has been absolutely infuriating and honestly not good for my sanity. It made my laptop unusable for 10 months with these harsh stutters ruining every piece of audio or video.

Turned off PSP in the BIOS. Fixed. No stutters for nearly a month now. Coincidence? I think not.

Knowing how annoying this issue is, I feel bad saying I wish it on others, but with Windows 11 being churned out, in a way I hope it starts to affect other machines and gets more attention and that results in a permanent fix being implemented.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this, so thanks to all involved for finding this "fix". Very relieved for now, but still annoyed it has not been addressed after all this time.

Fingers crossed, folks.

What's a PSP?

7 hours ago, ANGGARAMDAN said:

What's a PSP?

Yes, as @Georgi_S mentioned, it's AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP). The tpm for this laptop.

Apologies, I should have been more specific in case someone else finds this and is confused as to what to look for.

Hi guys,

Excuse me for my bad english

Just created an account because I had the same issue (W10 & W11). And now, I fix it after 2 weeks of research.

MSI X570 gaming plus + Ryzen 5800X.

The issue was caused by TPM 2.0 + Fan control Software (Dragon Center for me).

I’ve turned off CPU and FAN control and no more random stuttering.

I use bios control FAN.

Maybe, for the others with no MSI motherboard, you used a fan control software? I hope that it's the same thing for everyone!

Have a nice day

10 hours ago, clement150382 said:

Hi guys,

Excuse me for my bad english

Just created an account because I had the same issue (W10 & W11). And now, I fix it after 2 weeks of research.

MSI X570 gaming plus + Ryzen 5800X.

The issue was caused by TPM 2.0 + Fan control Software (Dragon Center for me).

I’ve turned off CPU and FAN control and no more random stuttering.

I use bios control FAN.

Maybe, for the others with no MSI motherboard, you used a fan control software? I hope that it's the same thing for everyone!

Have a nice day

Interesting, but there must be more to it. I don't use software for fan control and I am also on an MSI board.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

I have a Ryzen 9 5950X with Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra. Latest BIOS (f35d) which also has support for TPM in the patch notes. 

This issue with stuttering is there with the fTPM on. It comes, and goes. Usually once-twice a day, and the only way to fix as mentioned by everyone else, is to turn off the fTPM.

msi mpg x570 gaming plus + ryzen 5 5600x - fTPM = random stutters... im talking to MSI support but we are stuck at power supply being not powerfull enough 

Asus X570-E and 3700X, latest bios and when i enabled fTPM to update to Win11 i started getting this as well.  While playing games I would say it happens roughly once per hour for me and is annoying but livable.  I also notice during the "stutter" audio including discord does not seem to be impacted.  I don't notice it when just in windows\surfing.

I was aware of this issue from this thread awhile ago, but sadly I assumed the latest bios of and drivers updates would fix this issue by now.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:13 PM, Raider0001 said:

msi mpg x570 gaming plus + ryzen 5 5600x - fTPM = random stutters... im talking to MSI support but we are stuck at power supply being not powerfull enough 

Clearly they have no idea what is happening. When I reported this issue to Gigabyte support they told me it's the first time someone reported that kind of problem. When they advised me to update the BIOS, reinstall drivers etc I immediately gave up on them. I've written to them again to keep them busy with this issue. If they tell me something helpful I'll update you. BTW they answer me every 20-25 days.