How many GPUs can my PC Support

RhymeGG

Ok, yes. I'm a miner but also am a gamer with thousands of hours, Just have nothing else to do and mining is a fun hobby as I like working on pcs and what not

So for my question, I have 2 PSUs, more then enough power, a Ryzen 5 3200g, gigabyte x570 gaming x, enough risers, and enough 8pin->2x8pin splitters.
But i'm curious how many gpus I can actually run with this mobo+cpu setup, and I will not be limited by pcie slots because pcie expansion cards + risers, I'm just wondering if it'll work because the amount of cards the cpu can support
any theory's/answers would be appreciated

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

I'd say 2 to 4. 4 for mining, 2 for gaming or cad.

I already have 4 on it. However you give no reason as to why you think this?

The 3200G has 20 PCIe lanes, how much lanes do you really need to game on a card? (And how much for mining?)

4 go to storage so there's 16 left.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, HanZie82 said:

The 3200G has 20 PCIe lanes, how much lanes do you really need to game on a card? (And how much for mining?)

I'm not 100% sure, I've been trying to figure out how to tell how many pcie lanes a GPU on a 1x -> 16x riser would use. But even if I had 5 gpus running at 4lanes each. Technically I should be fine.

However I'd like to add 6-8 in total on the rig. So I'm hoping its just 1 lane, Considering It is put into a 1x slot

Just now, RhymeGG said:

I already have 4 on it. However you give no reason as to why you think this?

Might be too much for PSU to add more than that, plus buying 4 cards will be quite expensive. Technically that board/CPU can comfortably support 6, but because of PCIe lanes I recommend only 4. You can put a GPU with a riser in a 1x slot but it'll be quite limited.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Might be too much for PSU to add more than that, plus buying 4 cards will be quite expensive. Technically that board/CPU can comfortably support 6, but because of PCIe lanes I recommend only 4. You can put a GPU with a riser in a 1x slot but it'll be quite limited.

I have 2 PSUs, Power is not a problem. I'm not worried about card prices. and Mining with a 1x slot will not effect hashrates.
But again, and do you have a reason to recommend 4, The cpu has 20 lanes.

theoretically there are pcie 1x to 4x 1x expansion cards, but im not sure how well Nvidia GPU likes those as they're very picky

even some 19 pcie slot boards can only support up to 8 or 12 nvidia gpu from what i've heard

for AMD, they're more laxed i heard

in the end, it depends

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

theoretically there are pcie 1x to 4x 1x expansion cards, but im not sure how well Nvidia GPU likes those as they're very picky

even some 19 pcie slot boards can only support up to 8 or 12 nvidia gpu from what i've heard

for AMD, they're more laxed i heard

in the end, it depends

Alright, Well I'm getting my pcie expansion card today hopefully, and a 5th gpu. So we'll see how it goes

3 minutes ago, RhymeGG said:

Alright, Well I'm getting my pcie expansion card today hopefully, and a 5th gpu. So we'll see how it goes

also your 3200G doesnt have 16lanes for PCIE devices, only 8 from my understanding

8 is already used up by the iGPU in the chip

the safest option i can guess is 5 GPU, based on how many pcie slots your board physically have

but i've had a board that refuse to post when more than 2 GPU is plugged into any combination of slots, so there's that bit as well

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

also your 3200G doesnt have 16lanes for PCIE devices, only 8 from my understanding

8 is already used up by the iGPU in the chip

the safest option i can guess is 5 GPU, based on how many pcie slots your board physically have

but i've had a board that refuse to post when more than 2 GPU is plugged into any combination of slots, so there's that bit as well

Really? I'm buying that CPU today so I don't have to have a card in a 16x slot for display. Because my R5 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics.
But I've seen some people use 3000g and have 6 gpus. 

And I'm hoping with risers each card should only use 1 lane in a 1x slot..

31 minutes ago, RhymeGG said:

I have 2 PSUs... and enough 8pin->2x8pin splitters.

seeing this irks me, i hope you know what you're doing

glhf with your mining venture

Just now, Moonzy said:

seeing this irks me, i hope you know what you're doing

glhf with your mining venture

Me too at first lol. But it seems to be working fine. and I did not cheap out on the splitters nor the risers. and all cards are using little power.

I'm just hoping either one of my CPUS can support the GPU count

2 hours ago, RhymeGG said:

Me too at first lol. But it seems to be working fine. and I did not cheap out on the splitters nor the risers. and all cards are using little power.

I'm just hoping either one of my CPUS can support the GPU count

Doesn't matter the quality these cables/psu's are literally NOT made to do this. So enjoy running on luck here :p.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Doesn't matter the quality these cables/psu's are literally NOT made to do this. So enjoy running on luck here :p.

Miners have used them for years with no issues. So enjoy running on no knowledge and assumptions 

1 hour ago, RhymeGG said:

Miners have used them for years with no issues. So enjoy running on no knowledge and assumptions 

Miners have used them for years yes. With varying degrees of success as in fire to works fine. Either way you are NEVER supposed to split a single 8pin to dual 8pin UNLESS SPECIFICALLY SPECIFIED IT CAN.