IPS vs VA panel type

CovfefeMug
4 minutes ago, CovfefeMug said:

Which one is better

I would prefer IPS because of the viewing angle.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, Vishera said:

which one would be better for gaming

Just now, CovfefeMug said:

Now days IPS displays are the better choice since you can get them with high refresh rate as well.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

VA for single player games, IF it's a good VA panel with brightness and contrast. 3000:1 compared to IPS 1000:1 to OLED being OLED.

IPS is best for faster HZ/FPS gaming and being color accurate and accurate viewing angles at an higher angle.

So it depends on what games and what you want to use it for.

24 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

VA for single player games, IF it's a good VA panel with brightness and contrast. 3000:1 compared to IPS 1000:1 to OLED being OLED.

IPS is best for faster HZ/FPS gaming and being color accurate and accurate viewing angles at an higher angle.

So it depends on what games and what you want to use it for.

I would disagree. VA just simply doesn't look as good as a high quality ips display in my experience. Sure higher contrast sounds great but honestly I can hardly make out the difference in contrast between the two especially if the ips display is hdr certified. 

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

How often do you look at the monitor from the side? Viewing angles only come into play if you have big displays or when you have multiple people looking at the screen off-angle. Don't give this downside too much thought.

1 hour ago, CovfefeMug said:

Depends what you want. Nowadays IPS is probably the fastest technology. That being said, there are VA panels like the Samsung G7/G9 that are faster than even the best IPS monitors. But Typically IPS monitors are faster and have a bit wider color gamuts, but this comes at the expense of poor contrast, which results in them not being able to display deep blacks.

VA on the other hand is capable of much deeper blacks, thus resulting in typically better image quality than IPS. That's the main reason why most LCD TVs are VA, not IPS. But many VAs have inherently slow response times coming from full black to dark greys. This is known as "dark smearing".

Personally i'd prefer a good VA over a good IPS because if the better contrast. And as i don't play any competitive games i don't need every ms of response time.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Now days IPS displays are the better choice since you can get them with high refresh rate as well.

VA's have them aswell. Going anywhere from 144Hz to 240Hz.

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would disagree. VA just simply doesn't look as good as a high quality ips display in my experience. Sure higher contrast sounds great but honestly I can hardly make out the difference in contrast between the two especially if the ips display is hdr certified. 

Then you simply didn't have a high-quality VA panel yet. VA's higher contrast and (in higher end models) equal color reproduction will always result in the better overall image. There is a huge difference between a monitor with 1000:1 contrast and one with 2500:1 contrast when using one in a darker room.

Also HDR cerification on most monitors is pretty useless. They simply can't deliver anywhere close to the contrast that you need for HDR. In fact not even VA panels can deliver HDR without local dimming. For HDR you'll want at least 50.000:1 contrast, for which FALD (full-array-local-dimming) is required.

And please don't tell me a HDR400 or even a edge-lit local dimming HDR600 or HDR1000 monitor is HDR. It simply isn't.

And even in HDR, VA panels have a lot less blooming (which is an "artifact" introduced by FALD) because of the higher native contrast. There is a reason why ANY high-end LCD TV uses a VA panel, not IPS. TV's are all about picture quality. And here VA is simply superior.

I also have a comparison out of my own recent experience. I used a LG 27GN950 for a while now, which is a great 4K IPS monitor. Now i have a Asus PG35VQ, which is a great VA monitor. The LG one can't even come close the the VA's image quality even if you're not looking at HDR.

TLDR: If you want the best allrounder, get a good IPS monitor. If you simply want the best picture and are ready to sacrafice a bit of responsiveness, then get a good VA monitor.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

How often do you look at the monitor from the side? Viewing angles only come into play if you have big displays or when you have multiple people looking at the screen off-angle. Don't give this downside too much thought.

Depends what you want. Nowadays IPS is probably the fastest technology. That being said, there are VA panels like the Samsung G7/G9 that are faster than even the best IPS monitors. But Typically IPS monitors are faster and have a bit wider color gamuts, but this comes at the expense of poor contrast, which results in them not being able to display deep blacks.

VA on the other hand is capable of much deeper blacks, thus resulting in typically better image quality than IPS. That's the main reason why most LCD TVs are VA, not IPS. But many VAs have inherently slow response times coming from full black to dark greys. This is known as "dark smearing".

Personally i'd prefer a good VA over a good IPS because if the better contrast. And as i don't play any competitive games i don't need every ms of response time.

VA's have them aswell. Going anywhere from 144Hz to 240Hz.

Then you simply didn't have a high-quality VA panel yet. VA's higher contrast and (in higher end models) equal color reproduction will always result in the better overall image. There is a huge difference between a monitor with 1000:1 contrast and one with 2500:1 contrast when using one in a darker room.

Also HDR cerification on most monitors is pretty useless. They simply can't deliver anywhere close to the contrast that you need for HDR. In fact not even VA panels can deliver HDR without local dimming. For HDR you'll want at least 50.000:1 contrast, for which FALD (full-array-local-dimming) is required.

And please don't tell me a HDR400 or even a edge-lit local dimming HDR600 or HDR1000 monitor is HDR. It simply isn't.

And even in HDR, VA panels have a lot less blooming (which is an "artifact" introduced by FALD) because of the higher native contrast. There is a reason why ANY high-end LCD TV uses a VA panel, not IPS. TV's are all about picture quality. And here VA is simply superior.

I also have a comparison out of my own recent experience. I used a LG 27GN950 for a while now, which is a great 4K IPS monitor. Now i have a Asus PG35VQ, which is a great VA monitor. The LG one can't even come close the the VA's image quality even if you're not looking at HDR.

TLDR: If you want the best allrounder, get a good IPS monitor. If you simply want the best picture and are ready to sacrafice a bit of responsiveness, then get a good VA monitor.

Maybe my eyes are messed up because I have looked at monitors with VA panels that have reviews stating that they actually have high contrast but tbh I can't tell the difference at all. Honestly ips has a special look to it that I really like that no matter what VA panel I have seen can't reproduce. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Maybe my eyes are messed up because I have looked at monitors with VA panels that have reviews stating that they actually have high contrast but tbh I can't tell the difference at all. Honestly ips has a special look to it that I really like that no matter what VA panel I have seen can't reproduce. 

Maybe it's just personal preference. But if you have VA and IPS monitors with the same specs and both calibrated to the same reference, there should not be any noticeable difference when looking at the colors alone. But also higher contrast becomes less noticeable when you're in a bright room.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Maybe it's just personal preference. But if you have VA and IPS monitors with the same specs and both calibrated to the same reference, there should not be any noticeable difference when looking at the colors alone. But also higher contrast becomes less noticeable when you're in a bright room.

Yeah I can't say that I have looked at a VA panel in a room without proper lighting. Most of the time I was looking at either an in store display or someone who I knew. In both the store and also looking at my friends and families monitors it was in a bright lighting environment. Granted I typically game in a properly lit room to lessen eye strain. I would say that out of all the VA panels I have seen only the Samsung G7 was one that I contemplated on buying as the reviews overwhelmingly showed that they have done some crazy stuff with that panel managing to have response times that are better than ips. Granted I ended up not going in that direction as tbh I mostly play competitive games and I prefer my current 360hz monitor. 

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Also I think the best way to describe the look that I see with ips that I don't get from VA is that glossy look. Now it's probably personally preference If you like that look or not but I enjoy the look personally. 

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also I think the best way to describe the look that I see with ips that I don't get from VA is that glossy look. Now it's probably personally preference If you like that look or not but I enjoy the look personally. 

As you're using the word "Glossy" it seems more like a preference in the display coating than the actual panel tech. Under IPS and VA there are monitors with matte and with glossy coatings.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

As you're using the word "Glossy" it seems more like a preference in the display coating than the actual panel tech. Under IPS and VA there are monitors with matte and with glossy coatings.

Then I guess I have yet to see a VA panel that is both bright and have a glossy finish to give it that gloss pop effect. 

General answer: IPS

More in depth though it depends on what ur after.

The top 2 VA panels* are fine for gaming, but come at a cost of money and curvature.

The upper VA panels below those are also fine for gaming but have slower pixel response in dark scenes which can cause noticeable smearing.

VA panels have superior overall image quality, but have poor viewing angles and as with all LCD display can suffer BLB with curved displays suffering more so.

IPS typicaly have better pixel response on average and dont suffer specific dark level smearing from slow pixel response, however they have low contrast, look terrible in dimly lit environments and suffer from 3 separate issues that affect uniformity. BLB, Directional IPS glow, Full panel IPS Glow.

* Samsung G7 and G9

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

VA all the way. Yes, IPS may be fine but ips-glows and grey. VA can be used for gaming without any issue. In fact, a lot of gaming monitors are VA too. IPS have washed blacks, black looks more like grey. And I really wonder how people are looking at their IPS monitors but certainly not straight on lol

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

23 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

VA can be used for gaming without any issue. In fact, a lot of gaming monitors are VA too. IPS have washed blacks, black looks more like grey. And I really wonder how people are looking at their IPS monitors but certainly not straight on lol

untrue, it depends.

any of these panels types have their own issues.

VA got some issues too, like smearing and not always the best for higher HZ gaming.

Also some IPS monitors (bit a lot more expensive than VA) can have some better blacks etc. Although can't outdo the VA contrast.