Fan at 100% and not detected

Hey, 

Got a K|NG|PIN 1080 Ti the other day. Took off the waterblock and installed the air cooler.

Unfortunately one fan is spinning at (what I assume is) 100%. The fan is not detected by Afterburner or Precision X1, and I can therefore not control it. The software believes the fans are spinning at a very low RPM because that is what the fans that are detected (number 1 and 2, closest to the I/0) are spinning at. All temps on the card are below 40C.  

Help appreciated!

Other (relevant) system info:

Maximus 8 Formula (latest BIOs)

RM750x

Side related question - can i just remove the fan connector as long as I monitor the temps? 

Maybe manually set the speed for Tempratures?

Just now, RAGNES7 said:

Maybe manually set the speed for Tempratures?

I can't control the fan as it is not detected

Wouldn't the gfx card have the connection for controlling cooling fan speeds, so isn't it a matter of looking for some unconnected pins and cables looking for something to plug into?

1 minute ago, rockyroller said:

Wouldn't the gfx card have the connection for controlling cooling fan speeds, so isn't it a matter of looking for some unconnected pins and cables looking for something to plug into?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but the fan is plugged all the way in. I could try cleaning the pins though

EVGA-GTX-1080-Ti-Kingpin-Edition-05.jpg (1024×684) (thepcenthusiast.com)

this photos show a GFX card that I assume is like yours. Can you see the two cables coming down from the plastic cover where the fans are to the GFX board? To me those look like just the thing I'd be looking for to connect power from the board to fan and adjust variable speeds too

3 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

EVGA-GTX-1080-Ti-Kingpin-Edition-05.jpg (1024×684) (thepcenthusiast.com)

this photos show a GFX card that I assume is like yours. Can you see the two cables coming down from the plastic cover where the fans are to the GFX board? To me those look like just the thing I'd be looking for to connect power from the board to fan and adjust variable speeds too

Both are plugged in, yes

so you have two fans that run at speeds variable with the temperature? and one that only runs at full speed?

I think I'd give them a good clean, then test by swapping them about. See if the 100% fan changes location. It might be a problem with the board and you'll have to live with it?

24 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

so you have two fans that run at speeds variable with the temperature? and one that only runs at full speed?

I think I'd give them a good clean, then test by swapping them about. See if the 100% fan changes location. It might be a problem with the board and you'll have to live with it?

Yes and yes

I'll try that, but I think I'll have to RMA the card

34 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

The 100% fan changes location. It seems it is indeed a board issue then. I'll try to get an RMA