Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3070 Ti Waterblock?

somekidwithanm4

Go to solution Solved by Mully_1989,
On 9/27/2021 at 3:00 AM, somekidwithanm4 said:

So sorry for the delay. I run a couple businesses, so things got wild for a bit, but long story short i Just placed the order for the block and Motherboard RGB sync cable! It may still be a bit before it's all set to run, but I'll most definitely be trying the block out as soon as I can to see how it functions. Hopefully, god willing, the shipping doesn't take forever as is normal with almost any of the Chinese part manufacturers, but one can hope!

Thanks for the update, I also purchased the Barrow water block. I was stuck picking between Barrow and Bykski.

if you end up pulling your 3070ti apart and installing the water block and take any photos or can supply any guidance that would be great haha

the only review on AliExpress for that water block wasn’t the greatest, the guy had bad temps but he may have installed incorrectly 

Hi all! I was fortunate enough to win an Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Gaming OC in the shuffle and it was the final piece in a puzzle in a build that was planning to be put in a water cooled loop in a Phanteks Evolv Shift X. The problem is, it doesn't seem even a month later that anyone has created a water block for this card yet. I have written to EKWB twice and added inquiries for compatability with no response, so I wanted to open up a post here to see if anyone has any information or ideas as to what is possible. The card in aircooled form doesn't fit inside the case in any form due to the monsterous cooler, so currently I'm running in the good ol' "I only pay for performance!" components on the desk setup. Below is a picture of the 3070 Ti and 3070 variants of this card for comparison. 

This is a picture of the 3070 Ti Gaming OC board curtesy of TechPowerUp

front.jpg

And this is the 3070 Gaming OC, also from tech power up.

front.jpg

Thanks for any and all feedback in advance!

Justin

they are out there.  I know I've seen stuff on AliExpress. lol

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

1 hour ago, somekidwithanm4 said:

Hi all! I was fortunate enough to win an Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Gaming OC in the shuffle and it was the final piece in a puzzle in a build that was planning to be put in a water cooled loop in a Phanteks Evolv Shift X. The problem is, it doesn't seem even a month later that anyone has created a water block for this card yet. I have written to EKWB twice and added inquiries for compatability with no response, so I wanted to open up a post here to see if anyone has any information or ideas as to what is possible. The card in aircooled form doesn't fit inside the case in any form due to the monsterous cooler, so currently I'm running in the good ol' "I only pay for performance!" components on the desk setup. Below is a picture of the 3070 Ti and 3070 variants of this card for comparison. 

front.jpg

front.jpg

Justin

VRM has moved slightly. Also using different chips so the heights will be most likely different.  A full coverage block built for a. 3070 might or might not fit.   There are hybrid systems that are much more likely to fit though.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, TargetDron3 said:

they are out there.  I know I've seen stuff on AliExpress. lol

I've done some looking, but have struck a big fat nill on AliExpress. Plenty of 3070's, 3060 Ti's, 3080's etc, but no 3070 Ti

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

VRM has moved slightly. Also using different chips so the heights will be most likely different.  A full coverage block built for a. 3070 might or might not fit.   There are hybrid systems that are much more likely to fit though.

Yep. I'm debating on buying a cheaper 3070 block to get an idea on if it can work or if it can be safely made to work. I'll look into a few of the Hybrids out there as well! I'm just hoping that in a while, one of the big names will release one. 

26 minutes ago, somekidwithanm4 said:

I've done some looking, but have struck a big fat nill on AliExpress. Plenty of 3070's, 3060 Ti's, 3080's etc, but no 3070 Ti

Yep. I'm debating on buying a cheaper 3070 block to get an idea on if it can work or if it can be safely made to work. I'll look into a few of the Hybrids out there as well! I'm just hoping that in a while, one of the big names will release one. 

Hybrid is a term for using an AIO as a gpu block and doing air for the rest of the card.  Before full coverage blocks a gpu only block for a video card would have been termed “normal” or “standard”. Full coverage does work better and is the thing that can turn a multi slot video card into a single width card.  “Standard” solutions generally don’t because the VRM and memory will need heat sinks and a fan to cool them.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2021 at 8:34 AM, somekidwithanm4 said:

front.jpg

front.jpg

Justin

There a 3070 ti Gigabyte gaming waterblock on their page. 

http://www.barrowint.com/product/qfgxklt/jj/1715.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 10:28 AM, somekidwithanm4 said:

Dude! Thank you so much. I had practically given up at this point. I will most likely be placing my order today

Did you end up placing your order? I also have a 3070Ti that I want to water block.

I couldn’t see the price on that link above, and I’m curious of the quality 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also looking for a block for my zotac 3070ti amp holo. Let me know if water cooling is worth it on this card! 

4 minutes ago, Kartik98k said:

I'm also looking for a block for my zotac 3070ti amp holo. Let me know if water cooling is worth it on this card! 

For the most part on the mid range cards the coolers are good enough to tame the heat they produce and water cooling really won't help much or be really worth the investment. Even a cheap loop will be around 500usd.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 5:35 AM, Mully_1989 said:

Did you end up placing your order? I also have a 3070Ti that I want to water block.

I couldn’t see the price on that link above, and I’m curious of the quality 

So sorry for the delay. I run a couple businesses, so things got wild for a bit, but long story short i Just placed the order for the block and Motherboard RGB sync cable! It may still be a bit before it's all set to run, but I'll most definitely be trying the block out as soon as I can to see how it functions. Hopefully, god willing, the shipping doesn't take forever as is normal with almost any of the Chinese part manufacturers, but one can hope!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 3:00 AM, somekidwithanm4 said:

Thanks for the update, I also purchased the Barrow water block. I was stuck picking between Barrow and Bykski.

if you end up pulling your 3070ti apart and installing the water block and take any photos or can supply any guidance that would be great haha

the only review on AliExpress for that water block wasn’t the greatest, the guy had bad temps but he may have installed incorrectly 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 3:10 AM, Mully_1989 said:

Will do! I'm hoping to get to it in the next month or so as I'm collecting parts for a full loop. I'll update here when I'm ready to disassemble. Here's hoping!

On 10/12/2021 at 3:10 AM, Mully_1989 said:

So! I did end up pulling the card apart today for a test run to see how difficult it is. Honestly this is among the easiest modern cards to tear down. You have four screws along the outer edge of the backplate and then the 4 main screws for the die and heatsink. As with many, these go through the backplate and PCB and screw into the heatsink. 

Then there are three cables, two fan cables and one RGB which are quite tightly connected and a little fun. I used a very small flathead to help the RGB plug out as it felt that if I didn't do that it would pry it from the board. And that's it!

I went a step further to see if the shroud could be removed while retaining the fans on the heatsink but sadly, the fans screw into the shroud, not the heatsink directly so this isn't possible. 

Anyways with a repasting to continue use until all of the watercooling gear gets here, it works great. No real difference on thermals but this card has always run below 72 anyways so it was never terribly a concern. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 12:31 PM, somekidwithanm4 said:

And here's the pictures!

251144311_223651476397860_448765576299759321_n.jpg

251488153_4235187153275725_5528804516984319709_n.jpg

250690825_226347546119190_4846089673881917674_n.jpg

251095451_429752315284198_592080179986191066_n.jpg

251342582_1037436000381149_7458514629853155072_n.jpg

Thanks for the info and photos.

I will most likely attempt mine in the next few days, just a little nervous as there aren’t any actual instructions haha

On 11/1/2021 at 9:31 PM, somekidwithanm4 said:

And here's the pictures!

251144311_223651476397860_448765576299759321_n.jpg

251488153_4235187153275725_5528804516984319709_n.jpg

250690825_226347546119190_4846089673881917674_n.jpg

251095451_429752315284198_592080179986191066_n.jpg

251342582_1037436000381149_7458514629853155072_n.jpg

Awesome! A general mittzvah as well.  Someone some day looking at the mystery of the interior of their GPU will be very glad they found these.  If it’s still apart did you happen to put a caliper on those thermal pads by any chance? Thermal pad thickness is one of those stats that people often need but is frequently very difficult to find.

Edited by Bombastinator

It doesn’t look like the supplied thermal pad is thick enough unfortunately.

If you do manage to find the correct thickness let me know. I have some 1.5 and 0.5mm pads but I’ll also order some 2mm

A24F2CA9-D22D-4410-8DC4-566B76A62F19.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so adding thicker pads is a big no no, the thickness prevented the thermal paste from contacting the block.

I only finished yesterday and fired up a game of call of duty to see the temperature which was disappointing, I saw it reach 76 degree Celsius which probably isn’t it’s max as it was one game.

I do have some Thermalright 1.5mm pads which I’m thinking of trying.

keen to hear how your GPU temps are.

B2B3A220-E49D-447D-8A9D-FD9C37A060F8.jpeg

1 minute ago, Mully_1989 said:

Ok so adding thicker pads is a big no no, the thickness prevented the thermal paste from contacting the block.

I only finished yesterday and fired up a game of call of duty to see the temperature which was disappointing, I saw it reach 76 degree Celsius which probably isn’t it’s max as it was one game.

I do have some Thermalright 1.5mm pads which I’m thinking of trying.

keen to hear how your GPU temps are.

B2B3A220-E49D-447D-8A9D-FD9C37A060F8.jpeg

The thinner a pad is the better it transfers heat, however it’s also go to be thick enough to fill the empty space because empty space is even worse.  So what you want is a pad that is neither too thin nor too thick.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The thinner a pad is the better it transfers heat, however it’s also go to be thick enough to fill the empty space because empty space is even worse.  So what you want is a pad that is neither too thin nor too thick.

Yeah it’s just the pain in the ass to test when it’s part of a water loop haha. Plus not many people have posted or captured using this GPU

3 hours ago, Mully_1989 said:

Yeah it’s just the pain in the ass to test when it’s part of a water loop haha. Plus not many people have posted or captured using this GPU

Yeah.  That is an issue.  Thermal pad thickness should be part of standard specs imho.  This whole making users measure with a micrometer and hope they post it is stupid.  People are left to do what you are doing then; test and retest

On 12/14/2021 at 11:26 PM, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  That is an issue.  Thermal pad thickness should be part of standard specs imho.  This whole making users measure with a micrometer and hope they post it is stupid.  People are left to do what you are doing then; test and retest

Completely agreed. I've had to do that on my 1080s before with a used waterblock I got and it's a PITA. 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:20 PM, Mully_1989 said:

Thanks for the info and photos.

I will most likely attempt mine in the next few days, just a little nervous as there aren’t any actual instructions haha

I'm sorry for the lack of instructions. It was a quick teardown to see what I was looking at. I'm sad to hear that the thermals are disappointing. It seems to be that may be the consensus with this block as it is a cheap one. I just wish EK would release one, but being as there's so few of this exact model, I can understand why it doesn't make sense. I do know Bykski makes one as well and they are decently well renowned, but it's just sad to hear this one may not be the best. 

I also want to apologize for my late replies. My email notifications weren't on but they are now

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, thanks so much for the info! Was wondering what the update was on the thermal pads. I also bought this card and am looking to do a water cooling loop with the same block. Would love to hear what you found out.

Thanks again.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:12 AM, somekidwithanm4 said:

I also want to apologize for my late replies. My email notifications weren't on but they are now