Using USB-C 3.2 Display Port with a hub

Virulent

I made the mistake of buying my laptop thinking it had Thunderbolt, find out it has USB 3.2 Gen 2 with Displayport 1.4 . Not a huge deal, but now I'm wondering if I can run a hub off of that port. Looking to do one 1080p 144hz G-Sync monitor with display port, and one USB 3.0 external hard drive. Also, I guess im confused as to how it can support DP 1.4 if the max speed for USB 3.2 gen 2 is 10gb/s? Some layman's terms would be helpful lol.

Im curious about this also, trying to figure out what kind of dock/hub to buy

DisplayPort over USB doesn't mean that the USB interface and protocol carry the DisplayPort signal.
The alternative USB mode literally turns your USB C port into a Displayport ... port. (Dumbest name ever)

It then reduces the USB bandwith to 480MB/s (USB 2.0) or 5GB/s (USB 3.0, 3.2 Gen 1)

image.png.881c6a60e69ec062c02daafad114ac5f.png

https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/

USB 3.1 Gen 2 / USB Typ-C Verbinder - InfoTip Kompendium

As seen in this picture SSTX2 and SSRX2 are both used to send the DP signal. Because DP only sends data and never receives it, you can effectively double the bandwith of each lane.

1 hour ago, Virulent said:

Also, I guess im confused as to how it can support DP 1.4 if the max speed for USB 3.2 gen 2 is 10gb/s?

This is explained in the pinned thread: https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=USBC

22 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

DisplayPort over USB doesn't mean that the USB interface and protocol carry the DisplayPort signal.
The alternative USB mode literally turns your USB C port into a Displayport ... port. (Dumbest name ever)

It then reduces the USB bandwith to 480MB/s (USB 2.0) or 5GB/s (USB 3.0, 3.2 Gen 1)

image.png.881c6a60e69ec062c02daafad114ac5f.png

https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/

USB 3.1 Gen 2 / USB Typ-C Verbinder - InfoTip Kompendium

As seen in this picture SSTX2 and SSRX2 are both used to send the DP signal. Because DP only sends data and never receives it, you can effectively double the bandwith of each lane.

Thank you for the diagram! So, if im understanding this correctly, DP is using its own lanes, affecting the bandwidth or lanes of USB. So should a hub work then as the DP and USB wont even be using the same thing?

2 minutes ago, Virulent said:

Thank you for the diagram! So, if im understanding this correctly, DP is using its own lanes, affecting the bandwidth or lanes of USB. So should a hub work then as the DP and USB wont even be using the same thing?

As far as I know, the hub does also need to support the alternative USB mode, meaning it needs to support DisplayPort over USB C.
Personally I haven't looked much into that tho, so I can't say for sure.