Windows 11 blue screens are... not blue?

Summary

The legendary "blue screen of death" or BSOD that we all know and technically not love will soon venture into the dark side. It will still remain visually the same but with a black background instead of the familiar to many generations iconic blue. Eiffel 65... see yourself out please.

Microsoft is changing its famous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) to black in Windows 11. The software giant started testing its new design changes in a Windows 11 preview earlier this week, but the Black Screen of Death isn’t fully enabled yet. The Verge understands Microsoft will be switching to a Black Screen of Death for Windows 11, matching the new black logon and shutdown screens.

windows11bsod.gif

We’re not entirely sure why Microsoft is changing the color from blue to black, and the company isn’t commenting on the change yet. I have some theories, though. Microsoft is overhauling many parts of Windows 11, with a fresh approach to the OS. It’s likely because Windows 11 includes a visual overhaul to modernize the OS in key areas, including classic parts like the Start menu, File Explorer, and now even the BSOD.

My thoughts

While im sure it wont be that big of a deal to most (1), its something to point out. Blue screens have been on many iterations of Windows dating back to the conception of NT. We've all had them one way or another throughout our computing adventures. A small part of me will miss the blue as its been a thing for so long but we can all agree no matter how it looks like, we'd like to see it as less as possible! It's kinda convinient "blue screen" and "black screen" can both be abbreviated to BSOD to avoid possible confusion.

As for the others (2)..

I Don't Like Change GIFs | Tenor

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/1/22559852/microsoft-windows-11-black-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-change

It's still a BSoD, just no longer B but rather B.

I don't care what colour it is, so long as the method of reading the data (and the data collected) doesn't change.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

At least when it was blue, I could look up from my phone while I let my PC sit and run benchmarks/ CPU intensive software to determine stability. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Weren't they mostly green with 10?

I edit my posts more often than not

11 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Weren't they mostly green with 10?

Green is/was used in insider builds.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think you are just colourblind

Another possibility is that Insider builds changed the BSoD color.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think you are just colourblind

I'm colourdeaf. While I can type the colour red, I can't hear it. 😉

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Green is/was used in insider builds.

I was going to say that win10 did this, and i bet win11 would go back to blue for the consumer full release.

Or, if not, then you should be able to change it, since you are able to mess with the bsod stuff in win10

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Didn't think of that...

That's good.

Do You think that change is just because this might be day mode/dark mode related?

It doesn't really matter but I still don't like change. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Atleast the QR code is blue...

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

14 minutes ago, NotFakeName said:

That's good.

Do You think that change is just because there might be day mode/dark mode related?

That would be an interesting idea but doubt Microsoft would put effort into such a feature on one of the more less seen parts of the OS. It needs to know if its night/day. A simple time check is a crude way of doing it but for certain hours theres seasons and other natural factors that come into play which may require a user's location to determine these detais.. and also an internet connecton... for a bsod. Another way is with a light sensor but those are only a thing on mobile devices... yeah a lot of effort to do this.

2 minutes ago, Freakwise said:

Atleast the QR code is blue...

oh i didnt even notice that!

Who cares about the color change for a crash screen. I'd rather not get one in the first place since it would mean something is wrong. For as long as the messages are clear enough of what they mean and can give an idea on what's going on, that's all that matters. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

this channel is a gem.

2 hours ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Who cares about the color change for a crash screen. I'd rather not get one in the first place since it would mean something is wrong. For as long as the messages are clear enough of what they mean and can give an idea on what's going on, that's all that matters. 

I do. I like my crash screens blue, so that I can distinguish whether it was a unix kernel panic or windows/s working as-is.

I prefer it black instead of blue. The contrast makes it easier to read. And as someone whom provides remote support, it's far easier for a person to take a picture with a cell phone. With a blue screen, the text gets washed due to the camera exposure not set correctly. It's frustrating having to ask the person to take the picture again a few more times. 😑

i coulda sworn Vista was black? (with a whole bunch of error messages and suggestions)

im pretty sure i never saw *blue*sod before 10, and was always weirded out by ppl saying "blue screen of death"

(i directly switched from Vista to 10 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

(i directly switched from Vista to 10 🤷‍♂️

wow thats a massive leap LOL you must've liked Vista a lot.

14 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

wow thats a massive leap LOL you must've liked Vista a lot.

more like massive downgrade : D 

And yes, i really did… Athlon 64x2 Sapphire X1950GT *1GB* RAM!

It did sometimes BSOD, but really maybe once every 6 months… in hindsight I shouldnt have used sleep so much, i think that killed the caps… (which in the end really was the reason the PC stopped working, i still have the parts, just need a mobo and a copy of Vista, I guess - I have a bunch of programs that dont work on 10)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So, a bit of history, since 7 development, Microsoft has been toying with a black colored kernel panics error (BSOD). That said at release, Microsoft picked blue. Now the blue color did change since Windows 8 to a softer one (A luxury that Microsoft can do as now all GPUs since ages ago could display 16.7 million colors without the need of drivers. Yay to standards and improved driverless mode!) but yea, still blue. Win10 had black kernel panics error.

What you are seeing here, might it might not make it. Maybe finally they'll go black, I don't know. Don't be surprised if the color is back to blue.