Can hot computer exhaust damage items near them?

landoGai

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here it goes:

I'm putting the finishing touches on a build and am considering adding a fan or two to the top of the case. The thing is, I have a few boxes with some plastic models and figures on a floating wooden shelf (which is about 1/2" - 3/4" thick) that is about 1'-1.5' from where the top of my computer is going to be.

Will the exhaust leaving the computer damage them over time? I'm pretty sure it won't but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

For reference I'm going to be using a Corsair 4000D Airflow.

Thanks!

Only if they are directly next to the fans and you have a powerful system with lots of heat dissipation. 

I actually have an example of PC heat damaging nearby items. 

My brother had his main exhaust point directly at one side of his monitor and it developed a yellowish color over time. Don't have a picture but it's clearly visible at white backgrounds. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Only if they are directly next to the fans and you have a powerful system with lots of heat dissipation. 

I actually have an example of PC heat damaging nearby items. 

My brother had his main exhaust point directly at one side of his monitor and it developed a yellowish color over time. Don't have a picture but it's clearly visible at white backgrounds. 

Sorry about your brother's monitor.

A similar thing happened to my old monitor too. I had my first pc positioned below it and it developed a dark shadow on the right side of the screen. Same with it only visible on light backgrounds.

Here's the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zrffbh

Think it could be a problem?

16 minutes ago, landoGai said:

Sorry about your brother's monitor.

A similar thing happened to my old monitor too. I had my first pc positioned below it and it developed a dark shadow on the right side of the screen. Same with it only visible on light backgrounds.

Here's the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zrffbh

Think it could be a problem?

You do know you don't have a gpu right?

Either way yeah will be an issue regardless so just don't point any exhaust at your monitor.

Also you want some build advice or not?

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You do know you don't have a gpu right?

Either way yeah will be an issue regardless so just don't point any exhaust at your monitor.

Also you want some build advice or not?

Thankfully my monitor won't be a problem this time since it will be on my desk instead of in front of it. I'm more worried about everything I have on the shelf above it.

Yeah, I keep forgetting I don't have it added in.

I plan on using my old 1050ti until the GPU market gets better.

I'm open to any advice you can give. Thanks!

I posted in the build forum a bit ago here.

But my budget has changed a bit (~$1,800 now) and the link I posted in this topic is my most recent build.

1 hour ago, landoGai said:

Thankfully my monitor won't be a problem this time since it will be on my desk instead of in front of it. I'm more worried about everything I have on the shelf above it.

Yeah, I keep forgetting I don't have it added in.

I plan on using my old 1050ti until the GPU market gets better.

I'm open to any advice you can give. Thanks!

I posted in the build forum a bit ago here.

But my budget has changed a bit (~$1,800 now) and the link I posted in this topic is my most recent build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ggdYj2

So same performance/even better in certain areas but a BOATLOAD cheaper. Why the changes?

Board: No need for such an expensive board you aren't using any of the features it has so I put in a EXCELLENT cheaper board

Cooler: The fuma 2 is a couple degrees behind a nhd15 but a lot cheaper and just as quiet so no reason not to take it really. Also better ram clearance.

Storage: The samsung qvo lineup has REALLY SLOW drives to the point where hdds are faster with a longer load of data. So I opted for one of the best sata drives the mx500. I also picked the sn750 instead of the evo because you aren't doing anything that needs such high speeds in a drive so why not save money on a not really worse drive.

Ram: Cheaper no performance difference

Psu: Equally good psu for less

Fans: The BIGGEST money saver here. The arctic P series fans have been tested and beat the regular F noctuas in both cooling and lower noise that and they are A LOT cheaper 5 for the price of 2 noctua's.

So yeah saved you about 450$ for a pc that is at worst just as good but really will be overall better for less money.

Oh yeah for windows just get a 3$ ebay key and call it a day. They work fine and forever as these are oem keys.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ggdYj2

So same performance/even better in certain areas but a BOATLOAD cheaper. Why the changes?

Board: No need for such an expensive board you aren't using any of the features it has so I put in a EXCELLENT cheaper board

Cooler: The fuma 2 is a couple degrees behind a nhd15 but a lot cheaper and just as quiet so no reason not to take it really. Also better ram clearance.

Storage: The samsung qvo lineup has REALLY SLOW drives to the point where hdds are faster with a longer load of data. So I opted for one of the best sata drives the mx500. I also picked the sn750 instead of the evo because you aren't doing anything that needs such high speeds in a drive so why not save money on a not really worse drive.

Ram: Cheaper no performance difference

Psu: Equally good psu for less

Fans: The BIGGEST money saver here. The arctic P series fans have been tested and beat the regular F noctuas in both cooling and lower noise that and they are A LOT cheaper 5 for the price of 2 noctua's.

So yeah saved you about 450$ for a pc that is at worst just as good but really will be overall better for less money.

Oh yeah for windows just get a 3$ ebay key and call it a day. They work fine and forever as these are oem keys.

Thanks!

This helps a lot.

Just a few questions: 

Board: I really need wifi for where I am and as many USB ports as I can get. What are your thoughts on this board? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FyBhP6/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-carbon-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mpg-b550-gaming-carbon-wifi

Storage: Would you recommend I use the SATA as the main drive because of the cache or should I just use the m.2?

Thanks!

This helps a lot.

Just a few questions: 

Board: I really need wifi for where I am and as many USB ports as I can get. What are your thoughts on this board? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FyBhP6/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-carbon-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mpg-b550-gaming-carbon-wifi

Storage: Would you recommend I use the SATA as the main drive because of the cache or should I just use the m.2?

Just use m.2

Is a good board too.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Just use m.2

Is a good board too.

Perfect. Thanks.

So there's no real chance of the exhaust damaging anything unless it's right next to it? Figure the wood of the shelf (and the boxes some of the figures/models are in) should protect them a bit.

Perfect. Thanks.

So there's no real chance of the exhaust damaging anything unless it's right next to it? Figure the wood of the shelf (and the boxes some of the figures/models are in) should protect them a bit.

Heat is heat. Best you can do is let the pc blow air into a non obstructed way.

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

Heat is heat. Best you can do is let the pc blow air into a non obstructed way.

I will keep that in mind.

Thanks!