YouTube making all unlisted videos uploaded before 2017 private

ImAlsoRan
16 hours ago, Seyrren said:

There are other things, like odysee, but people unfortunately have become to dependent on youtube and they don't want to even try and support something else, thus its very hard for other platforms to grow. This is what Microsoft probably wants to achieve with Windows as well.

--------------------------------

Youtube has always been lazy bastards, unlisted videos had always been used to share things in a more controlled environment, tight community, and they don't want to check all of the videos to see if they align with their "guidelines" and "vision" so the best approach to avoid the backlash of the videos being deleted is to just turn them into private videos.

There's some irony here where odysee is used by the same people who complain about youtube, getting subject to the exact same treatment they got on youtube. So no, that's certainly not replacing youtube since the pirates and extremists appear to be the sole users of it.

https://github.com/lbryio/dmca/tree/master/2021

Lots of pseudo-science from youtube in there.

Well, this is gonna suck and break a lot of random posts...
Its like someone looked at old forum posts about how to do/fix something and how a good chunk look like this:
avatar.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSP2r4kOAFs5EdVj29F3xj

And thought "YES we need another wave of this!"

Seriously I can't describe how much Ive seen those two images, when trying to research some stupid obscure bug/error message.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:00 PM, Spotty said:

You'd be surprised how many people think that unlisted videos can only be accessed by people they give the link to. That's why YouTube is making this change.

Unpopular opinion but if a university is using YouTube to host their educational videos as unlisted videos, and they aren't maintaining those videos/accounts to take necessary steps to update for the change, then that's their own damn fault. If they want to have videos that only their students can access as learning material then putting it on YouTube as an unlisted video is not the way to do it. They should be hosting the videos themselves and require a student account login portal to access them.

An open source repository for educational materials would be pretty amazing. I’d love for a platform to be developed specifically for this purpose. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't understand. How is this beneficial to Youtube? I thought they get a cut from ad revenue? More videos = more eyeballs = more $$$. No?

Google is a really secretive company with some very smart people at it and they get some really well funded attacks mounted against them as they’re often seen as being genetically American rather than a multinational.  I wonder if it’s some sort of injection thing specifically because those channels are abandoned. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/30/2021 at 4:35 AM, StDragon said:

I don't understand. How is this beneficial to Youtube? I thought they get a cut from ad revenue? More videos = more eyeballs = more $$$. No?

Since unlisted (and private) videos are not are not in "circulation", i.e. don't get rating exposure, YT also don't benefit from any significant (or at all) ad revenue cut. While those type of videos are very low on traffic, YT still has to provide storage and index processing for something that is little more than a ballast.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:18 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

"security" aka we want to save money on our bandwidth bill by effectively removing videos that are older.

do you really think the savings will be substantial for such a big company?

If YouTube cared about security there wouldn't still be usernames in the urls of old accounts.

Jdownloader 2

1Gb fiber

2x 30tb Dell R710

been ripping nonstop since I found out

10 hours ago, DuckDodgers said:

Since unlisted (and private) videos are not are not in "circulation", i.e. don't get rating exposure, YT also don't benefit from any significant (or at all) ad revenue cut. While those type of videos are very low on traffic, YT still has to provide storage and index processing for something that is little more than a ballast.

Highly doubt that such a mega corporation will save a lot of money by just privating the unlisted videos. Like they will stay on their servers and the amount of bandwidth being saved will be marginal for them. If Google really wanted to implement the new security policy for unlisted videos by having them not easily discovered, they might as well just apply that policy directly to those videos instead of privatising them.   

Edited by Master Delta Chief

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

2 hours ago, throwaway3224 said:

If YouTube cared about security there wouldn't still be usernames in the urls of old accounts.

YouTube is now Google though and they seem to care about actual security for themselves quite a lot and security from everyone but Google for their users (because users aren’t customers.  Advertiser are customers)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/29/2021 at 7:11 PM, DeScruff said:

Its like someone looked at old forum posts about how to do/fix something and how a good chunk look like this:

Seriously I can't describe how much Ive seen those two images, when trying to research some stupid obscure bug/error message.

Yeah same, those are everywhere... 

I opted out of this, considering that i have about 290 unlisted videos at this point of time.. or 291 as of yesterday..

It would be pretty bad if it came out 🙂

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

On 6/30/2021 at 2:11 AM, DeScruff said:

Well,tinypic deletes everything every few months.

The best third party website for uploading images is imgur - They never delete my images,even if they are years old.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 6/28/2021 at 5:00 PM, Spotty said:

You'd be surprised how many people think that unlisted videos can only be accessed by people they give the link to. That's why YouTube is making this change.

Unpopular opinion but if a university is using YouTube to host their educational videos as unlisted videos, and they aren't maintaining those videos/accounts to take necessary steps to update for the change, then that's their own damn fault. If they want to have videos that only their students can access as learning material then putting it on YouTube as an unlisted video is not the way to do it. They should be hosting the videos themselves and require a student account login portal to access them.

What's wrong with YouTube? Why would a university waste money on something when YouTube works fine?

On 6/29/2021 at 12:03 PM, ImAlsoRan said:

University isn’t the only education. Plenty of teachers for all grades make videos for their curriculums and share them with other teachers. If the channel doesn’t fix the unlisted videos, many teacher’s curriculums might be broken and cause the teacher a bit of pain having to re-create the video themselves.

Many High School and Middle School transitioned to unlisted YouTube videos during COVID for their lecture, and they certainly don't have the budgets of large universities to create dedicated portals.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

On 7/2/2021 at 12:11 AM, arnavvr said:

What's wrong with YouTube? Why would a university waste money on something when YouTube works fine?

Many High School and Middle School transitioned to unlisted YouTube videos during COVID for their lecture, and they certainly don't have the budgets of large universities to create dedicated portals.

And those High Schools and Universities can now log into their account and opt-out.

Seriously I can see how this might be an issue with very very very very very very niche users, but overall I really don't see the issue.

If you're using something as an educational resource and you're a teacher, you should ensure you can get future access to that resource. If you uploaded a bunch of unlisted videos to use as lectures, etc - don't abandon them. Just log in and opt-out.

People are acting like all old videos are suddenly going away. No, just old unlisted videos.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 6/30/2021 at 3:35 AM, StDragon said:

Hosting videos that no one watches cost more $$$ than they bring in.

It sucks but thats youtube for you ~

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

No, just old unlisted videos.

often the best…  

remember yt wasnt meant to maximize ad revenue at all cost, it was literally meant as a platform for *everyone* to host their stuff. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 7/1/2021 at 10:38 AM, Bombastinator said:

Google is a really secretive company with some very smart people at it and they get some really well funded attacks mounted against them as they’re often seen as being genetically American rather than a multinational.  I wonder if it’s some sort of injection thing specifically because those channels are abandoned. 

heard multiple times that youtube is where everyone that needs to go but cant be fired is sent to, and it shows

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

heard multiple times that youtube is where everyone that needs to go but cant be fired is sent to, and it shows

Interesting.  Kind of a weird choice as YouTube is one of the most consumer facing divisions Google has. Google has a lot of projects fail. One would think such a person would be sent to such a group that is about to be shut down or spun off.  I don’t see Google shutting YouTube but I could see them being spun off.

On 7/3/2021 at 4:30 PM, Bombastinator said:

Interesting.  Kind of a weird choice as YouTube is one of the most consumer facing divisions Google has. Google has a lot of projects fail. One would think such a person would be sent to such a group that is about to be shut down or spun off.  I don’t see Google shutting YouTube but I could see them being spun off.

Nah.

There is going to be a reckoning soon on privacy and the only way this mega-corps are going to survive it is by spinning off everything profitable and letting the rest sink.

Google I could see consolidating itself into "Enterprise Cloud services (gsuite, basically gmail, productivity, search)", "Enterprise Compute Engine (Virtual machines), including Stadia", "Youtube, Television, and Enterprise Video conferencing", and "the bloated rotting corpse of doubleclick (Adsense)", pretty much everyone has been spinning off their ad systems, after having robbed peter to pay paul with them.

Google ultimately accelerated the race to the bottom on ad-supported services, and now pretty much everything that used to be ad supported has switched to "Subscription and Tip model" (aka, Patreon and "gamified premium currency" (as seen on Twitch and various Adult Video streaming services.))

Like even if Google (oh sorry, "Alphabet") decides to bring back "Don't Be Evil", the only way that will fly is by getting rid of the ad model. The ad model has been driving "evil" business practices, by data mining the users of the services, to sell "better ads" to them, but ultimately the reverse has happened, where google has been leaving ad approval up to algorithms, not people, and lowering the quality of ads across the board from websites to youtube videos (I mean seriously how many times must I see a 30 minute ad show up in front of 3 minute video??) The consequences are that more people are blocking and skipping videos and at some point Chrome will start losing market share because of Google's underhanded attempts at blocking ad blocking technology (even if the ad blocking technology is often crappy, crude and ugly.)

Why do you think Google has been trying to tie your google "profile" to your chrome browser.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Nah.

There is going to be a reckoning soon on privacy and the only way this mega-corps are going to survive it is by spinning off everything profitable and letting the rest sink.

Google I could see consolidating itself into "Enterprise Cloud services (gsuite, basically gmail, productivity, search)", "Enterprise Compute Engine (Virtual machines), including Stadia", "Youtube, Television, and Enterprise Video conferencing", and "the bloated rotting corpse of doubleclick (Adsense)", pretty much everyone has been spinning off their ad systems, after having robbed peter to pay paul with them.

Google ultimately accelerated the race to the bottom on ad-supported services, and now pretty much everything that used to be ad supported has switched to "Subscription and Tip model" (aka, Patreon and "gamified premium currency" (as seen on Twitch and various Adult Video streaming services.))

Like even if Google (oh sorry, "Alphabet") decides to bring back "Don't Be Evil", the only way that will fly is by getting rid of the ad model. The ad model has been driving "evil" business practices, by data mining the users of the services, to sell "better ads" to them, but ultimately the reverse has happened, where google has been leaving ad approval up to algorithms, not people, and lowering the quality of ads across the board from websites to youtube videos (I mean seriously how many times must I see a 30 minute ad show up in front of 3 minute video??) The consequences are that more people are blocking and skipping videos and at some point Chrome will start losing market share because of Google's underhanded attempts at blocking ad blocking technology (even if the ad blocking technology is often crappy, crude and ugly.)

Why do you think Google has been trying to tie your google "profile" to your chrome browser.

*has no Google profile that he knows of, but suspects it still a usefully large one*  What I think is the scariest part of the big data and marketing science marriage hasn’t even been see yet.  Hints in China but even that is shadows on the wall.  The teeth have yet to be seen.