What are your backup file names?

DankDoodles

Day/Month/Year? Year/Day/Month? 7:18:54AM? Add the time? So many options and configurations!

I want to start backing up data but don't know what the format should be.

Can someone recommend me a format to help with organization?

Spoiler

(Also sorry in advance if post this in the wrong forum, don't know where organization questions should go)

2 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

What I ususally use is YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS ex. 20210627-100452

Would it be better to add more symbols to it to differentiate between the numbers?

(YYYY-MM-DD) [HH-MM-SS]

• (
  • )
  • -

Just now, DankDoodles said:

Would it be better to add more symbols to it to differentiate between the numbers?

• (
  • )
  • -

You could if it helps you read them better. Though no matter the format I think once you see it a few times you'd read them naturally.

Y'all use dates for your backups?
I've only got enough space for one copy at a time since I back up ~1.5TB of data on a 3TB HDD.

elephants

When I name files and stuff by date I always do something like YYYY-MM-DD (format doesn't matter, it's the order), this way you can just sort them by date easily 

🙂

My backups are separated by appropriately named folders according to whichever drive its a backup of and then the names of the files are just the default settings of Paragon since as far as I know, I can't really change them

This is the most recent one for my C drive:

Job-202006261523550_2021-05-16_17-00-29

Which I think is the date of when I first started the backup, followed by the latest date for the current incremental backup.

So.... yeah, YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Generally what ever my backup program's default naming scheme is. which is currently

File Backup_yyyymmdd_Full_v1

File Backup_yyyymmdd_Inc_v1

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Definitelynotpron10/30/20
Definitelynotpron5/30/20

JK I'm not that much of a heathen

Spoiler

Definitelynotpron05/30/20

The 0 is important for consistency XD

In all seriousness, YY.MM.DD, so it will always stay in chronological order simply by sorting alphabetically

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Y'all use dates for your backups?
I've only got enough space for one copy at a time since I back up ~1.5TB of data on a 3TB HDD.

mine are usually something like "december20_3070"

so i know the date, and what driver/gpu it should be working with…

or "dec20_MHW_Doom-Mod_working_before_update" if its not the OS drive etc…   for me backups are like time travel capsules kinda, and i have way too many… that Doom mod though, its just too  good (and quite difficult too install lol)

Actually, i wasnt even thinking of that when reading the title, I call my backup files literally .bkup 

So "Tekken7.exe.bkup" …

Or "Waasmedic.exe.definfinetlynotwaasmedic.bkup" 

2 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Definitelynotpron10/30/20
Definitelynotpron5/30/20

heh, this is definitely something i do too lol.

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

Generally what ever my backup program's default naming scheme is. which is currently

File Backup_yyyymmdd_Full_v1

File Backup_yyyymmdd_Inc_v1

i did this and then i end up with "AMD radeon" thingy while having a gtx1060 installed because i dont remember when i had that 5500xt exactly, and then have to either ddu or install the backup again… no, no, the more and the more relevant info the better…   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I just have a folder on a drive named "dump". Within that folder are subfolders like "documents, pics," etc. That's about it really. I just file hoard, I don't actually make backups of things. Just duplicate copies on different drives.

Damn you guys do have some organised backup systems. My backup method is just some folders on network drives/usb sticks that I dump important files in every now and then. 

On 6/26/2021 at 11:28 PM, TempestCatto said:

I just have a folder on a drive named "dump". Within that folder are subfolders like "documents, pics," etc. That's about it really. I just file hoard, I don't actually make backups of things. Just duplicate copies on different drives.

This is what I shouldn't be doing, but have not taken the time to organize my files...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

My backup approach doesn't need names for versions as there is only one live version at any time. I just restore that.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz