Microsoft makes TPM issue worse: TPM 1.2 is actually NOT acceptable

gjsman

Summary

In an updated Microsoft document that previously listed hard floors and soft floors, Microsoft has clarified that TPM 1.2 is actually not acceptable in the soft floor and that everyone must, in fact, have TPM 2.0. So if you thought the requirement to have a TPM was bad before, the 1.2 version is actually not supported and Microsoft saying it was, according to them, was incorrect. (Bolded area by myself)

Quotes

There are new minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11. In order to run Windows 11, devices must meet the hardware specifications. Devices that do not meet the hardware requirements cannot be upgraded to Windows 11.

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
  • RAM: 4 gigabyte (GB)
  • Storage: 64 GB or larger storage device
  • System firmware: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
  • Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver

Note:

This article has been updated to correct the guidance around the TPM requirements for Windows 11. For more information, see the Windows 11 Specifications. To check the compatibility of your device with Windows 11, get the PC Health Tool from Upgrade to the New Windows 11 OS.

My thoughts

You thought the news that you must have a TPM was disruptive enough. Surprise - Microsoft was wrong in saying TPM 1.2 would be OK. You must have TPM 2.0 specifically. Fantastic.

Sources

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-does-away-with-soft-floor-updates-minimum-windows-11-specs-with-tpm-2-0-requirement/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/

1 minute ago, gjsman said:

You have to admire how badly Microsoft is fumbling the Windows 11 announcement. 

Changing their story, absolutely. 

TPM requirements though.. I mean TPM has been a thing on hardware ~15 years IF your manufacturer decided to implement it. 

IMO the anger should be directed at hardware manufacturers who didn't see these security concerns coming and implement a TPM solution. 

Why the hell is this announcement so convoluted? The PC Health Check tool will tell you you can't run Windows 11 without telling you why. In order to enable TPM users have had to dig around in their BIOS to see if their CPU can do the TPM functionality or see if their motherboards have a TPM module/header. If their CPUs don't have that ability ppl now have to buy scalped TPM modules or buy new computers just to run Windows 11. 

Microsoft claimed that the majority of computers will be able to run Windows 11, but with the ever changing TPM requirements.....not looking like that's going to be true. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

It seems like Microsoft is forcing TPM 2.0 in order to get people to replace their PCs, Intel 7th gen and Ryzen 1000 series are still powerful CPUs.

Hopefully the workaround for secureboot and TPM works in the release version, but its still going to be a complete nightmare for anyone in IT managing hardware that isn't recent.

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

TPM requirements though.. I mean TPM has been a thing on hardware ~15 years IF your manufacturer decided to implement it. 

IMO the anger should be directed at hardware manufacturers who didn't see these security concerns coming and implement a TPM solution. 

Incorrect. Microsoft only began requiring TPM in mid-2016. The spec, before any hardware was finished, was created in 2009. Blame Microsoft for not requiring it earlier. Also blame Microsoft for not requiring motherboard manufacturers to name it consistently or enable it by default up unto this day. 

Just now, gjsman said:

Incorrect. Microsoft only began requiring TPM in mid-2016. The spec, before any hardware was finished, was created in 2009. Blame Microsoft for not requiring it earlier. 

I'm not sure where you're getting your information but Apple, as one example, was shipping TPM functionality on their first Intel Mac's in 2006. 

Regardless, should TPM been a requirement earlier, we'd be having this same conversation back then. It has to happen at some point, its going to upset people regardless.

14 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Virtual TPM could be run at the software level without the need for a hardware-based TPM chip, I am thinking that it wasn't seen as a necessity by hardware manufacturers in the past. I think that a lot of systems are going to stick with running Windows 10 because of the new requirements going into Windows 11. 

17 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

Welcome to windows eWaste where it only runs on hardware that is considered really recent.

Yeah, this could be a more significant problem because so many users that really want Windows 11 are going to have to throw away their existing computers.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Guess I'll just hope Leeeeenux will work with the two capture cards I want for my current system + a P400 for H.264 encoding. Once the ol' OptiPlex is done being the daily it was going to get turned into a dedicated capture bitch, but I sure as fuck don't plan on running Windows 10 until support for it dies now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

18 minutes ago, rickeo said:

I'm not sure where you're getting your information but Apple, as one example, was shipping TPM functionality on their first Intel Mac's in 2006. 

I was incorrect as for when TPM came out, but it is true that Microsoft only began requiring it in mid-2016. Also, you are incorrect apparently and Apple has not shipped Macs with TPMs since 2006, and the Macs that had TPMs didn't have drivers to actually use them but I could be incorrect on that.

All around though this stinks on Microsoft's part. They could have required TPMs a decade earlier. They could have required motherboard manufacturers to call it the same name instead of seemingly having a different name in the UEFI Settings for each manufacturer with some calling it TPM, fTPM, PTT, or something else, and don't get it confused with CSM. They could have required manufacturers to have it enabled by default, which they still don't require right now. 

I don't blame the manufacturers as much as I blame Microsoft for not laying any groundwork for us system builders to be ready. They could have looked in 2016, figured TPM 2.0 would be important in the future, and told motherboard makers to have it enabled out of the box because we might use it in the future and because we're requiring it everywhere else.

Just now, JustAnotherOverClocker said:

so does this change the CPU requirements as well?

Doesn't appear so. They still have the separate page with every SKU of supported CPUs AFAIK.

Just now, gjsman said:

Doesn't appear so. They still have the separate page with every SKU of supported CPUs AFAIK.

This is so frustrating, there was another post indicating that the soft floor allowed cpus such as the i7-6700k and i7-7700k. But now that's questionable. This is an absolutely unacceptable clusterfuck from a large company.

22 minutes ago, JustAnotherOverClocker said:

This is so frustrating, there was another post indicating that the soft floor allowed cpus such as the i7-6700k and i7-7700k. But now that's questionable. This is an absolutely unacceptable clusterfuck from a large company.

Take this for what it's worth, but the leaked dev version ran (in a VM) perfectly fine on my system, an twin Xeon Ivybridge Xeon e5-2643v2 workstation

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

32 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Guess I'll just hope Leeeeenux will work with the two capture cards I want for my current system

If the devs on *nix are smart, they are watching this Charlie Foxtrot unfold with great interest, and will pick up the ball since MS doesn't seem interested in supporting "older" hardware.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

They can fuck right off so far beyond our universe science has yet to come up with a term for just how far they can fuck right off. 

TPM in Home should be optional!

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I hope repackers get hold of the .iso images when 11 launches and create custom installers which bypass the bullshit of Microshaft. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

15 minutes ago, Tieox said:

They can fuck right off so far beyond our universe science has yet to come up with a term for just how far they can fuck right off. 

TPM in Home should be optional!

They need to be a bit more transparent on it's benefits. If this means BitLocker encryption enabled by default on all machines, then I'm all in for it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

They need to be a bit more transparent on it's benefits. If this means BitLocker encryption enabled by default on all machines, then I'm all in for it. 

I wish. But it appears BitLocker will remain a Pro-only feature. Microsoft Devs said the TPM requirement enables "future scenarios" apparently.

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Make it an option, make it one you have to read and agree to the risks you take not having a TPM 2.0 module installed, but gatekeeping the OS because of it is stupid.  

Repackers will make .iso images available that has this bypassed and many peeps will use it to fix ma/pa computers once Win10 is done in '25.

Just now, Tieox said:

Repackers will make .iso images available that has this bypassed and many peeps will use it to fix ma/pa computers once Win10 is done in '25.

And we'll once again have a proliferation of malware-infested ISOs. Fantastic.