How did I ever play on 60fps?

bungusboy81

I think it's just a thing with my eyes and brain adjusting to it but I feel like ever since I switched to 120+ or even 75+ refresh rates 60fps, which is still kind of the standard, feels bonkers slow. I'm kinda questioning how I ever played on this refresh rate, it's just weird knowing I played at 60fps for years and years and then all of a sudden switched to 120hz and eventually to 144hz and now I can't go back. Anyone else feel the same way?

I've played at 60 Hz/FPS, 75 Hz/FPS, and 144 Hz/FPS (yes, in all cases I was hitting that framerate) and I can't tell a difference. I can definitely tell a difference between 15, 24, 30, and 60, but after 60 it all seems the same for me.

I don't use a 144 Hz monitor daily - it's the panel on my dad's gaming laptop - but I do use it at least twice a week while playing Civ 6 with the family (and sometimes Portal as well).

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I've played at 60 Hz/FPS, 75 Hz/FPS, and 144 Hz/FPS (yes, in all cases I was hitting that framerate) and I can't tell a difference. I can definitely tell a difference between 15, 24, 30, and 60, but after 60 it all seems the same for me.

I don't use a 144 Hz monitor daily - it's the panel on my dad's gaming laptop - but I do use it at least twice a week while playing Civ 6 with the family (and sometimes Portal as well).

I guess it's just a person by person thing if you can notice the difference or not but I definitely can and it gets kinda unbearable when I have to play certain games, especially first person ones, at 60fps, although since I have a 144fps monitor, I can definitely get by with 72fps if I have to

26 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

I think it's just a thing with my eyes and brain adjusting to it but I feel like ever since I switched to 120+ or even 75+ refresh rates 60fps, which is still kind of the standard, feels bonkers slow. I'm kinda questioning how I ever played on this refresh rate, it's just weird knowing I played at 60fps for years and years and then all of a sudden switched to 120hz and eventually to 144hz and now I can't go back. Anyone else feel the same way?

I can tell the difference between 60 and, say, 100 or something - and definitely if it goes down from like 60 to 50. 

2 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I can tell the difference between 60 and, say, 100 or something - and definitely if it goes down from like 60 to 50. 

Yeah I can tell the difference between 60 and 70 tbh, AND I'm also really sensitive to frame drops and stutters, so I can't really play games comfortably without getting irritated unless their framerate is almost perfect

Just now, bungusboy81 said:

Yeah I can tell the difference between 60 and 70 tbh, AND I'm also really sensitive to frame drops and stutters, so I can't really play games comfortably without getting irritated unless their framerate is almost perfect

It's often just a feeling, like you can just tell, rather than something that can be quantified. 

For several years I used a 16 inch 60hz LCD, it had a CFL backlight (which age like milk) and had a weird pink hue (a common problem with those tubes). it was also 720p, made an annoying whine occasionally and was overall just a piece of garbage. I bought basically the other end of the spectrum in 2017 - a curved 24 inch 144hz 1080p monitor with HDR and Freesync, a MSI Optix G24c. It was truly a lifechanger, but compared to how awful the old one was, I can't really make comparisons of just the refresh rate since it was better in every category. My gpu can't really hit 144 in games other than Minecraft either, I truly just wanted it for my CAD work which I wanted a color-accurate monitor for.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

For several years I used a 16 inch 60hz LCD, it had a CFL backlight (which age like milk) and had a weird pink hue (a common problem with those tubes). it was also 720p, made an annoying whine occasionally and was overall just a piece of garbage. I bought basically the other end of the spectrum in 2017 - a curved 24 inch 144hz 1080p monitor with HDR and Freesync, a MSI Optix G24c. It was truly a lifechanger, but compared to how awful the old one was, I can't really make comparisons of just the refresh rate since it was better in every category. My gpu can't really hit 144 in games other than Minecraft either, I truly just wanted it for my CAD work which I wanted a color-accurate monitor for.

Hey we have similar monitors, I have an MSI Optix G241!

15 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Nice! I'm guessing that's a 21 inch flat panel with mostly similar features?

It's a 1080p 144hz 24" panel, so yeah, pretty similar. I have an nvidia card though so I use gsync with it.

I've been using a 1440p 170Hz monitor for several months now, having upgraded from 1080p 60Hz. The experience is better in an objective sense, but I think that the specific game matters when it comes to the subjective experience of such a display.

My favorite experience with the monitor has been in a little-known game called Abzu. That game was clearly designed to be played with a high-res, high refresh rate monitor. Swimming through schools of fish and currents in the ocean is something that is clearly meant to be both visually stunning and super fluid. I'll probably go back to it again after my next upgrade to see what it's like when I can get a solid 170fps with all settings cranked to the max, including running it at 4k downscaled to 1440p. It's already amazing with 1440p Ultra settings at 120-140fps, and I'm sure it'll be even better turned up. That game is spectacular in the literal sense of the word, so it absolutely benefits from a better display.

The most underwhelming experience has been with The Sims 4. I honestly don't think it makes a difference. I think I could set my monitor to 1080p 60Hz and my level of enjoyment playing The Sims 4 would not decrease much. Whether my sims walk more "smoothly" or I can make out individual blades of grass just isn't that important to my experience of that game. I'm too engrossed in my sims goals and feelings and relationships. When I'm building a house, I'm not admiring the carpet textures, I'm thinking about things like the overall layout and what tier of furniture I can afford. All of those things are abstract concepts not actually present on the screen at all. Most of my gameplay is devoted to planning, which is all happening in my brain. A better monitor doesn't make my brain compute probabilities and imagine floorplans any better than it already does.

In between, you have games like Tomb Raider and Control, which are mostly about the story and the environment, but that also have combat and movement. I enjoy those games more because of my superior monitor, but I don't think I'd call 60fps in a game like that "bonkers slow." Which is why I turn on RT in Control, because I think the game's setting looks amazing with RT lighting and reflections, and I want to experience that environment more fully, rather than worrying about whether the animations are more fluid. But it's a trade-off, and I do feel it that way - in a perfect world, I'd be able to max out visuals while achieving high FPS.

I'm going to guess that most of the games you play are games that benefit from high refresh rates, like shooters, which not only feel better at higher refresh rates, but that actually become easier to play thanks to the higher temporal fidelity giving your brain more information per second. If you played something like a city sim instead, I'd imagine the higher refresh rate wouldn't be as important for you.

16 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I've been using a 1440p 170Hz monitor for several months now, having upgraded from 1080p 60Hz. The experience is better in an objective sense, but I think that the specific game matters when it comes to the subjective experience of such a display.

My favorite experience with the monitor has been in a little-known game called Abzu. That game was clearly designed to be played with a high-res, high refresh rate monitor. Swimming through schools of fish and currents in the ocean is something that is clearly meant to be both visually stunning and super fluid. I'll probably go back to it again after my next upgrade to see what it's like when I can get a solid 170fps with all settings cranked to the max, including running it at 4k downscaled to 1440p. It's already amazing with 1440p Ultra settings at 120-140fps, and I'm sure it'll be even better turned up. That game is spectacular in the literal sense of the word, so it absolutely benefits from a better display.

The most underwhelming experience has been with The Sims 4. I honestly don't think it makes a difference. I think I could set my monitor to 1080p 60Hz and my level of enjoyment playing The Sims 4 would not decrease much. Whether my sims walk more "smoothly" or I can make out individual blades of grass just isn't that important to my experience of that game. I'm too engrossed in my sims goals and feelings and relationships. When I'm building a house, I'm not admiring the carpet textures, I'm thinking about things like the overall layout and what tier of furniture I can afford. All of those things are abstract concepts not actually present on the screen at all. Most of my gameplay is devoted to planning, which is all happening in my brain. A better monitor doesn't make my brain compute probabilities and imagine floorplans any better than it already does.

In between, you have games like Tomb Raider and Control, which are mostly about the story and the environment, but that also have combat and movement. I enjoy those games more because of my superior monitor, but I don't think I'd call 60fps in a game like that "bonkers slow." Which is why I turn on RT in Control, because I think the game's setting looks amazing with RT lighting and reflections, and I want to experience that environment more fully, rather than worrying about whether the animations are more fluid. But it's a trade-off, and I do feel it that way - in a perfect world, I'd be able to max out visuals while achieving high FPS.

I'm going to guess that most of the games you play are games that benefit from high refresh rates, like shooters, which not only feel better at higher refresh rates, but that actually become easier to play thanks to the higher temporal fidelity giving your brain more information per second. If you played something like a city sim instead, I'd imagine the higher refresh rate wouldn't be as important for you.

Yeah I mostly play fast paced games like shooters but I still like to have high FPS in pretty much every game just because of how much I can notice the difference between 60hz and 120/144hz, so even if I were to play a game like the sims 4, I'd probably still want at least 72fps just because of how much smoother it looks to me than 60. Resolution for me is a bit of a different story, but I guess I haven't really experienced it since the only resolution jump/switch I've ever made was from 800p to 1080p, and I didn't really notice much of a difference. Sure things look smoother, but I'd much rather prefer 1080p 144hz than 1440p/4k or higher at 60hz. I run certain games at medium settings even though my computer definitely has enough power to pump out ultra settings on them just so I can make sure I maintain that high FPS, regardless of the kind of game it is. Since I got gsync, I can go back to things like 72fps in games if I play with a controller, but I really can't go below 100 with kb/m without it feeling at least a little stuttery. Eventually once I get enough cash to get a better computer I'd like to switch up to 1440p at 144hz, or maybe even stay at 1080p 144hz but with high or ultra settings in most games, since really the only way I can tell the difference between resolutions personally putting a lower resolution on a higher resolution monitor (Say, setting a 1080p monitor to 720p,) but I guess I probably can't say much since I've never had a 4k or even 1440p monitor to see the difference. Is the switch from 1080p to 1440p or 4k as night and day as the switch from 60hz to 120hz+?

The difference between 60 and 144 Hz is clear as night and day if you have the hardware to feed them 144 FPS all the time and use V-sync/G-sync/FreeSync. If you get used even to 75Hz, 60 feels laggy and makes your eyes water like fontains. Some people can't actually "see" the flickering at 60Hz, but they can feel it. Others (me included) can see it and it's a nasty experience. That's why i prefer gaming at lower resolutions like 1080p or 1440p but keep the frames high so i can use v-sync with at least 120 Hz.  I tried 240Hz, but at least in the games i play it doesn't even feel different, maybe because they are not that fast-paced like CS:GO or other titles running at 400FPS+ where ultra low latency and frametime is the key. To me the jump from 60 to 144 was waaaaaaay bigger than the jump from 30 to 60.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

1 hour ago, QuantumSingularity said:

The difference between 60 and 144 Hz is clear as night and day if you have the hardware to feed them 144 FPS all the time and use V-sync/G-sync/FreeSync. If you get used even to 75Hz, 60 feels laggy and makes your eyes water like fontains. Some people can't actually "see" the flickering at 60Hz, but they can feel it. Others (me included) can see it and it's a nasty experience. That's why i prefer gaming at lower resolutions like 1080p or 1440p but keep the frames high so i can use v-sync with at least 120 Hz.  I tried 240Hz, but at least in the games i play it doesn't even feel different, maybe because they are not that fast-paced like CS:GO or other titles running at 400FPS+ where ultra low latency and frametime is the key. To me the jump from 60 to 144 was waaaaaaay bigger than the jump from 30 to 60.

Yeah I feel the same way, I'm not sure I'd ever switch to 240hz until GPUs are way stronger than they are now just for the latency and even then it still doesn't really matter because so many people say there's barely a difference between 144hz and 240hz. 1080p 144hz is like a sweet spot for me atm.

My main rig is hooked up to a 144Hz FS2 monitor, my 2nd rig is hooked up to a 75Hz FS monitor, and my HTPC is hooked up to a 60Hz UHD TV, honestly don't seeing tearing and other visual defects when I play games on them.

UT3, which can hit >100 on my HTPC at 4K, I don't see any visual artifacts and whatnot. All look buttery smooth, my concern is NOT getting good enough framerate when I play games. Even when I play Godfall at 4K, Epic ingame setting + FSR at Quality preset, I get between 40-60fps and that's good enough for smooth enough gameplay.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I'm not talking about artefacts or tearing. I'm talking about the way the monitors/TVs are working. My LG OLED TV has a refresh rate of 100Hz and when i look at it after i've been watching at the 144Hz monitor i see it flickering. Doesn't matter if i'm watching a movie, playing games with v-sync on or hook my NES to it - the screen itself has a lower refresh rate and to me it's noticeable. Yes. i get used to it after a while, but for the first few minutes it's kinda distracting.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |